Molotov cocktails hurled at protesters' tents at Bangkok's Urupong Intersection

webfact

ISA enforcement to stay: Pracha

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The enforcement of Internal Security Act will continue in light of the attack on the rally site, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok said on Friday.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed that security measures be tightened for the duration of the visit of the Chinese premier, Pracha said.

He also blamed a "third party" for trying to stir up trouble by attacking the rally site.

Several Molotov cocktails in energy drink bottles were hurled at tents of protesters led by the People’s Army Against Thaksin Regime early Friday morning.

A guard was slightly injured when he stepped on broken glass.

A bottle bomb was thrown at about 2.30am Friday from a vehicle on the express way. The attackers also threw down handbills with the message: "You make traffic jam, you should find a new area for your rally".

A taxi was damaged and two rally guards were injured by the bomb.

Pracha said he thinks the fire bomb tossed at the People’s Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime, which is holding a rally at the Urupong intersection, was the work of a third party and added that the rally site was hard to protect because of its location under the express way.

He also urged police to take care of the protesters. However, he was not considering expanding the scope of the Internal Security Act (ISA) to Urupong intersection and was waiting for an official assessment of the situation.

On Thursday, the anti-government protesters decided to vacate the Government House area and relocate to Lumpini Park. However, a number of protesters voiced disappointment with the decision and continued to congregate near the Nang Lerng area before moving on to Urupong intersection, which is not covered by the ISA for Dusit, Pomprap Sattruphai and Phra Nakhon districts.

Police were coordinating with the Expressway Authority of Thailand and had asked for CCTV camera footage to help hunt down the bombers.

Police said the bottle bombs were filled with that paraffin oil and didn't contain any explosives so it was likely that the bombers only wanted to bully the protesters.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-11

So the police are playing it down as just a bit of light-hearted bullying.

Not the fact that parrafin is flammable and was thrown at tents which in my experience are actually made from flammable material. With people likely to be asleep in them judging by the time.

Hmmmm. So nothing too dangerous there then.

Why is it that whenever someone opens their mouth in this country, bullshit comes out.

The police were probably only pointing out that bottle bombs full of paraffin oil that weren't lit only tend to be dangerous if you tread on them in bare feet as one "guard" has demonstrated. Likewise molotov cocktails when not lit pose little danger.

Just my unemotional take on the situation before the drama queens get going and remind us of the "Dresden' that was Bangkok in 2010.

The police were probably only pointing out that bottle bombs full of paraffin oil that weren't lit only tend to be dangerous if you tread on them in bare feet as one "guard" has demonstrated. Likewise molotov cocktails when not lit pose little danger.

Just my unemotional take on the situation before the drama queens get going and remind us of the "Dresden' that was Bangkok in 2010.

I guess it depends on if they were going to be lit or not. Either way, mearly making the bombs would usually be provocation enough.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The enforcement of Internal Security Act will continue in light of the attack on the rally site, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok said on Friday.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed that security measures be tightened for the duration of the visit of the Chinese premier, Pracha said.

He also blamed a "third party" for trying to stir up trouble by attacking the rally site.

Several Molotov cocktails in energy drink bottles were hurled at tents of protesters led by the People’s Army Against Thaksin Regime early Friday morning.

A bottle bomb was thrown at about 2.30am Friday from a vehicle on the express way. The attackers also threw down handbills with the message: "You make traffic jam, you should find a new area for your rally".

Pracha said he thinks the fire bomb tossed at the People’s Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime, which is holding a rally at the Urupong intersection, was the work of a third party and added that the rally site was hard to protect because of its location under the express way.

He also urged police to take care of the protesters. However, he was not considering expanding the scope of the Internal Security Act (ISA) to Urupong intersection and was waiting for an official assessment of the situation.

On Thursday, the anti-government protesters decided to vacate the Government House area and relocate to Lumpini Park. However, a number of protesters voiced disappointment with the decision and continued to congregate near the Nang Lerng area before moving on to Urupong intersection, which is not covered by the ISA for Dusit, Pomprap Sattruphai and Phra Nakhon districts.

Police were coordinating with the Expressway Authority of Thailand and had asked for CCTV camera footage to help hunt down the bombers.

Police said the bottle bombs were filled with that paraffin oil and didn't contain any explosives so it was likely that the bombers only wanted to bully the protesters.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-11

Not the fact that parrafin is flammable and was thrown at tents which in my experience are actually made from flammable material. With people likely to be asleep in them judging by the time.

Why is it that whenever someone opens their mouth in this country, bullshit comes out.

Let's see if the perpetrators are captured and prosecuted.

It seems this was a warning, intimidation, maybe next time the will be lit etc. No place for such actions in a democracy. So when the police catch the culprits and charge them, perhaps the "third hand" will finally be identified ?

Agent provocateurs, obviously...amazing how many from either side are willing to go to the FB barricades at the least provocation...simply amazing...this TV site /is/ loaded w/haters...I wonder where else on Earth would make so many happier, there I could advise them to GO! ;-} rap. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

I am going to have to drink something stronger than XXXX Gold to make sense of this lot ! .......hic;

Yes I do agree with you that people doing this kind of thing should be punished to the full extent of the law...

I was just wondering just where in this news story did it say that the Molotov cocktails were thrown by these stupid people were following the rabid instructions of a Red Shirt leader? I must have missed that bit, or maybe you like a little embellishing?

What; are you new at this?

Here, it is a given that anything bad = Thaksin and associates; anything good = anyone else

Convicted criminal fraudster fugitive, running a country by proxy through his sister and clan, aiming to return once all his crimes (conviction and outstanding criminal charges) have been whitewashed by his government, responsible or at the least complicit in extra judicial executions, and wanting to turn Thailand into a one party state controlled by and for the benefit only of his family, friends and brown nosing acolytes.

Why do you think people might possibly think bad of this?

Please tell us the good things you think Dr. Thaksin, his clan and the current government have achieved for this country and help address the balance of opinion.

My 2 cent's worth on your challenge,

Under Thaksin's PM ship the money borrowed prior to his term of PM from the IMF was paid back before the due date,

I think that would be a good thing for Thailand don't you??? round one to me, nextwhistling.gif

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-11

Where did it say they were unlit?

I just checked back, and unless I may need my glasses changed, I still can't see where it says that.

Now in my opinion, when anyone reads a story about molotov cocktails being hurled at someone or something, and even if the facts were downgraded to paraffin... in my world, almost all readers would automatically assume that they were lit. Especially in the absence of any details to say that they were not lit.

So why is it automatically being assumed that they were not lit?

Going against Thaksin is a dangerous thing, the bombing of the Bhum Jai Thai party after it left PPPs coalition government, the many grenades thrown into Yellow Shirt gatherings, Democrat rallies peltered with stones from Red Shirts, the bombings of banks that held his frozen assets, the murder of a key witness against Thaksin in a tax fraud case, etc, etc...

Once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, thrice is enemy action.

My 2 cent's worth on your challenge,

Under Thaksin's PM ship the money borrowed prior to his term of PM from the IMF was paid back before the due date,

I think that would be a good thing for Thailand don't you??? round one to me, nextwhistling.gif

Funny that you underlined "prior", as if to clear Thaksin of any responsibility from the IMF loan; that loan was necessary because of the collapse of the Baht that happened while Thaksin was part of the Chavalit goverment, and he is reported to have made a pretty mint out of it too.

Back up your claim can you? or more rumor and innuendo? "and he is reported to have made a pretty mint out of it"

Who was PM at the time of request of the IMF loan? who was PM at the time of re-payment?

The Question asked was can any one tell of anything good done by Thaksin or etc, etc,etc,, ,

so you think repayment to IMF is not a good thing??? now that's what I think is funny. round 2 to mewhistling.gif

Yes I do agree with you that people doing this kind of thing should be punished to the full extent of the law...

I was just wondering just where in this news story did it say that the Molotov cocktails were thrown by these stupid people were following the rabid instructions of a Red Shirt leader? I must have missed that bit, or maybe you like a little embellishing?

You're absolutely right! This is the same level of defamation as we regularly see when some talk about Men in Black and grenade attacks. Pure coincidence that is only effects non-red-shirts.