“You’re only a guest here. If you don’t like it, leave.”

TheGuest

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP that “You’re only a guest here. If you don’t like it, leave.” is an unfortunate choice of words but the underlying sentiment still stands; why waste your breath complaining about things you can't change? The only reason people use that phrase is when they encounter others who bitch, whine and moan. Quit complaining and you won't hear it anymore. Simple.

• Like 2

he who reckons he is a gift to Thailand!

Well you are a worker, not a guest, as you get paid for something?

For sure, if it weren't for people like you where would Thailand be? If it it weren't for the great farang there would be no Thai's in work. You are indeed a saviour of the country.

I bet you, your co-workers unity would soon evaporate once someone said OK lets leave this Job. Now is your chance to test it, just before you leave Thailand.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more...

I wouldn't get too het up about it though. People who tend to churn out this old nonsense are generally only tourists, here for a few months a year, that wish they could live or work here full time.

I am justing wondering why the rant ?

Woke up this morning and realised the Thai lady he brought back last night from Nana or 33 has nicked his wallet ?

Imagine going to someone else's house for, say a party, or weekend stay.

And halfway through dinner one day, one of the other guests started to preach to you about the conditions under which you are allowed to stay.

• Like 1

For sure, if it weren't for people like you where would Thailand be? If it it weren't for the great farang there would be no Thai's in work. You are indeed a saviour of the country.

I bet you, your co-workers unity would soon evaporate once someone said OK lets leave this Job. Now is your chance to test it, just before you leave Thailand.

Well if it was not for foreigners Thailand may well be 3rd world dump .

Most manufacturing is/ was foreign- cars, bikes, electronics , white goods.

Thailand is not and never was a pioneer of anything really.

Thailand does however practice use and abuse policy really well.

Just think what would be if all foreign capital and businesses pulled out, unless you forgot that it was foreign capital that steered Thailand through the tough times.

If a giant like Toyota pulled out or moved, you would have few thousand of unemployed people and few million short on taxes and that's just a start.

I as a working foreigner pay more tax in 1 month than 4 Thai staff in a life time , because Thai do not pay any ( not all but a vast majority)

• Like 2

OP instead of complaining to the internet why don't you start organizing other farang and create some kind of organization and start lobbying Thai government officials to change rules. Take the Thai government to court. Start lobbying the various trade organizations. Since there are apparently so many farang in this country - if you have 20,000 farang paying 20,000 baht a year you'll have something like $13,000,000 a year to spend trying to get these laws changed?

^ That's fine if we consider Toyota pulling out - but its an argument that falls apart if its only LemonCake shipping out.

The biggest problem would be your own, getting past the queue of guys trying to get in as you go out.

There are certainly a numbe rof people who should go home, However there is no reason why people who are here, contribute, pay taxes can't have an opinion or moan. Lets face it, there's plenty to moan about, but also plenty to like about Thailand. I have no problem with immigration laws, I do however find some of the ways that they are implemented here bizarre and difficult to understand. I find the 90 day report quite ridiculous and derogatory, but hey it's their rule. I never go anyhow, as I travel fairly frequently out of the country, and if I do need to report, Har department does it for me.

I also think that as a parent with of a Thai national, I should be able to make some comments about what is wrong with the country. I hope she takes on board what is so wrong with the people who run this country, and don't give a flying <deleted> about the average person in the street., the corruption, greed, nepotism and outright criminal activity that is rewarded with positions of power and influence. Maybe in the future, some of the younger generation will know who has been taking them for a ride, and with it there will be proper social change, as opposed to paid for dressed up thugs, representing individuals interests in the belief that they actually care.

• Like 2

I do all the same things as the OP, I am retired not employed have been here for over a decade, and consider myself a guest, I was not invited but I came any way and have been allowed to stay, marry and become a resident of the country as long as I obey all Thai laws and immigration requirements, which to me are very minimal condition I must meet to remain in the country.

The need to go to my embassy each year, at times can be inconvenient, but I use the trip as my vacation and yearly shopping trip to the great big city.

I do not have any complaints to what is required by Thailand for my continued stay in the Kingdom!

Cheers:wai2.gif

• Like 2

The OP has a rather high opinion of himself and I very much doubt it's Thai people who are referring to him as a "guest". If he wants to enjoy his stay in Thailand he might want to calm down and relieve his stress. Massages and meditation are good for this. I'm sure when his stay is over and he returns "home" he will miss Thailand.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

OP instead of complaining to the internet why don't you start organizing other farang and create some kind of organization and start lobbying Thai government officials to change rules. Take the Thai government to court. Start lobbying the various trade organizations. Since there are apparently so many farang in this country - if you have 20,000 farang paying 20,000 baht a year you'll have something like $13,000,000 a year to spend trying to get these laws changed?

Yes he and his fellow activists could protest out side parliament and burn their bra's, if they can get someone big enough in Thailand to fit their manboob's

• Like 2

The OP has a rather high opinion of himself and I very much doubt it's Thai people who are referring to him as a "guest". If he wants to enjoy his stay in Thailand he might want to calm down and relieve his stress. Massages and meditation are good for this. I'm sure when his stay is over and he returns "home" he will miss Thailand.

It seems to me that this "newbie" is not a newbie but a TV regular under a different name in an attempt to stir things up...

That might be the most accurate comment so far

• Like 1

It seems to me that this "newbie" is not a newbie but a TV regular under a different name in an attempt to stir things up...

And under the influence of some amber liquid.

Well if it was not for foreigners Thailand may well be 3rd world dump .

Most manufacturing is/ was foreign- cars, bikes, electronics , white goods.

Thailand is not and never was a pioneer of anything really.I

Thailand does however practice use and abuse policy really well.

Just think what would be if all foreign capital and businesses pulled out, unless you forgot that it was foreign capital that steered Thailand through the tough times.

If a giant like Toyota pulled out or moved, you would have few thousand of unemployed people and few million short on taxes and that's just a start.

I as a working foreigner pay more tax in 1 month than 4 Thai staff in a life time , because Thai do not pay any ( not all but a vast majority)

I didn't realise the Japanese are farang! your not wrong about how things are, I think Thailand is still a 3rd world country. But if the OP really feels the way he sounds, then maybe he would be better off elsewhere! He could earn more in the same field (what ever that may be) in his home country! So what is he doing here?

Naw what a feel good post for a lazy Saturday...

Life sure is tough for a farang, the 'woe is me' complex. So hard done by. Poor little fella.

The immigration laws here have nothing on a great majority of farangland immigration laws. Yes the 90 day rule is cumbersome, but so easy to get around not having to schlep it to your local immigration office. Take a short weekend jaunt overseas to the many lands within a short plane ride. Yes you need to part with some hard earned for a re-entry visa but weigh it up against the alternative. But if you're struggling with 500 THB for the privilege, you probably need to re-evaluate your choices.

Compare that with some farangland countries and one soon realizes it's not that bad; I'm not looking forward to the day where I have to start doing my wife's immigration paperwork. Even getting the tourist visa is an annoyance in itself, visa processing centres run by sub contractors? Don't see that in Thailand, all handled via Government outposts.

The "qualifications" for visas here is a lot easier than the reverse. No checks by the Thai government for those farang countries with visa waiver agreements and even a tourist visa is not subjected to the scrutiny of farangland government agencies. Business visas here are for the most part fairly easily obtained as are work permits. Hardly different when you look at it in the reverse.

Sure there's a limit on what a foreigner can do to earn a crust but is that not why we're here anyway? Unless you were a cabbie back home, which I'm sure there's a cool-technically-kosher-politically-correct term you could use to get around that.

Setting up a company is relatively easy as well, yes there's technical nuances that you have to go through to get it done but overall, nothing overtly grotesque. If you haven't got the coin to start with, well, sorry, you should have done your homework and in this day and age ignorance of the internet is far from an acceptable excuse.

Corruption, nepotism and all the ugly stuff that we all - both Thai and farang - face daily is part of the fine print that a lot of us failed to read. You either embrace it or you build yourself a concrete bunker 100m underground and stay there waiting for the inevitable to happen, be sure though, to stock up on aluminum foil, just in case.

To be a called a guest, here, is probably a mistranslation or maybe the closest fit or just a polite way of saying "we'll tolerate you provided you abide by the house rules".

That being said we could probably interpret the whole thing as Thailand being the hotel and we are the paying guests. You don't obey the house rules, you're evicted.

At the end of the day, you put up with it and make it work to your advantage or you let it consume you and you become a bitter and twisted nuisance.

Best of luck.

Op.

You are quite right.

You are not a guest.

You are a migrant worker.

Akin to migrant workers from,Myanmar,Laos, Cambodia.

I am however a guest and was invited.

Thus don't need to seek employment of the downtrodden.

• Like 1