Anyone been to Tub Tim cave and Chang Dow cave?

thaibeachlovers

Yes, I've been a number of times and yes its very worthwhile.

Compared with Chang Daow? I thinks its FAR better - but that depends on what you are looking for.

There are no guides wanting you to pay them and to hire you lights. You go in on your own, and there are lights (fluro) all the way.

There is no guide to point out strange rock formations and stretch your imagination claiming that is looks like "such and such". You just appreciate the contents of huge caverns along the path 300-400m (my guess) culminating in a monstrous cathedral cave. You exit by the same path as you entered.

Timing of your visit is a trick. If its a special day (holy day or public holiday) the entrance fee is 10b placed in an honour box. If its not one of those days and if you're not lucky enough to be following someone who has paid the full opening fee, you need to find someone to open it and switch the lights on - 200B. fee - regardless of the size of your party. (Neither of these includes the other adjacent temple in a cave - free at all times and also worth a look.)

You need sturdy shoes (joggers are best) and to be fairly mobile - there is one spot inside which is a tight squeeze/climb which a person with less mobility might find impossible. Some take a torch but I have never found that necessary.

Easy to get to? Yes. It depends where you are coming from. If from CM direction, look for the sign and the turnoff on the left just past the bottom the range checkpoint. That will take you to it. I'm not sure about signage from that direction though, The caves are behind and the entrance stairs part of a very large wat on the LHS the name of which completely alludes me - sorry! Go right through the way grounds and park among the trees. You will see two large and covered sets of stairs leading up to the side of the mountain. Left is for the temple cave, and right is for the other, There is a connection between them at the top.

The road it's on generally runs parallel to the main highway to Fang, so you can also approach it from the other direction. The easiest described road is the one from the highway to the Chai Prakarn Hospital (look for the sign on the highway). Continue past the hospital and don't turn until you reach a T intersection. Turn L and go a few km. (my guess is about 6 to 8) until you come to a village and see the wat complex on the RHS. If you cannot find it, the locals will assist - its very well known in the area.

Enjoy!

Edited by Iamemjay

On the other hand, if you go to Chang Dow cave, when you are done, don't simply go back to the main road, go back into the mountains on the ridge road. A car is fine, a motorcycle or two on a good day would be great, something like a rented 250cc D-tracker would be killer. You follow the ridge, maybe even encounter a check point, and you end up at the top of Doi Angkhang. Stay overnight at the very nice maybe three star hotel with restaurant on the top, then go back straight down to the main road to Fang from Chiang Mai the next day. Keep gassed up. Getting lost in the mountains is half the fun.

On the other hand, if you go to Chang Dow cave, when you are done, don't simply go back to the main road, go back into the mountains on the ridge road. A car is fine, a motorcycle or two on a good day would be great, something like a rented 250cc D-tracker would be killer. You follow the ridge, maybe even encounter a check point, and you end up at the top of Doi Angkhang. Stay overnight at the very nice maybe three star hotel with restaurant on the top, then go back straight down to the main road to Fang from Chiang Mai the next day. Keep gassed up. Getting lost in the mountains is half the fun.

This is my edit:

It's been a while, but it looks like from Chiang Dao.... up #1178, right on #1340, and left on #1249 to "Angkhang Nature Resort". It also looks like you could take a ridge trail (I don't see a number on Google Earth) and go on up to Tha Ton and even up to Mae Sai/ Tachilek (Myanmar border). The border ridge road up at Mae Sai has a military check point that requires your actual passport. And you may not procede if it is late in the day. Mountain ridge road, really lovely. Check out Doi Tung and Doi Suttep. (Spelling?)

How about an alternate spelling for "Tub Tim" cave? Mr Google doesn't help out much with that spelling. Trying to pin down the location.

Mac

From that trip report I mention above, here is a Goggle map of the cave system in the area ...

Not knowing the Cave the OP referred to, I simply used the name he applied to the Cave.

Maybe could mean the Tab Tao Cave ?

This was another recommendation ...

For something totally different to see and do, try to fit in your trip a visit to Muang On Cave system in the Chiang Mai area. Situated in the San Kamphaeng District, about 30km East of Chiang Mai near the Hot Springs, this cave system is a fascinating place to visit.

Here

Hope that helps rather then confuses.

How about an alternate spelling for "Tub Tim" cave? Mr Google doesn't help out much with that spelling. Trying to pin down the location.

Mac

The caves are called that on an old Thai atlas I have. It's not on the newer map I have.

Thanks for all the replies.

As I've been to the Chang Dow caves already, I'll give the Tub Tim ones a look. Thanks Lamemjay for the heads up.

David, good map, thanks for it. BTW, looks like their url is TU: http://www.thailandcaves.shepton.org.uk/

Thai Beach, how about posting a lat & long after your visit?

Mac

Sorry, but after all that, I didn't have time to visit the caves on my last trip. Hopefully another time.

I did look out for a road sign on my journey north from Chang Dow, but either there isn't one, or I blinked and missed it.

David, good map, thanks for it. BTW, looks like their url is TU: http://www.thailandcaves.shepton.org.uk/

Mac

Sorry, but after all that, I didn't have time to visit the caves on my last trip. Hopefully another time.

I did look out for a road sign on my journey north from Chang Dow, but either there isn't one, or I blinked and missed it.

There is definitely a sign - a brown tourist sign (or is it routed timber?? - brown anyway!) on the LHS heading north just past the bottom of the mountain checkpoint. ... and for the posters above who think the OP is referring to Chiang Dow cave, they are totally wrong. This is a completely different cave system over the other side of the mountain range well beyond Chiang Dow and before Chai Prakarn.

Mac

There is definitely a sign - a brown tourist sign (or is it routed timber?? - brown anyway!) on the LHS heading north just past the bottom of the mountain checkpoint. ... and for the posters above who think the OP is referring to Chiang Dow cave, they are totally wrong. This is a completely different cave system over the other side of the mountain range well beyond Chiang Dow and before Chai Prakarn.

Thanks.

Yes, NOT the Chang Dow caves, and I have been there.

BTW, it's not necessary to hire a guide inside those caves, even though they hold a lantern as though it's dark inside. There are fluro lights all the way.

If you don't want to spend 20 baht just to urinate, go before visiting the caves.

• 9 months later...

Somehow I got the name wrong. Finally managed to visit it.

Copy of new thread I just posted.

Ideal for a short stop off on the way north to Fang on 107.

Only a couple of km up a side road 120 km north of Chiang Mai.

Can't miss it, as the turn off is right beside the checkpoint bottom of the hill and it is sign posted before getting there. The sign at the turn off is confusing though.

Just follow the side road till you get to the Wat. Parking is inside.

It cost 100 baht for two of us to go in.

There are two caves. The right hand one has bats and is long and difficult in places with ladders. There are lights, but as some are not working best to take a torch.

There are statues inside.

The left hand one is just a big cavern by the entrance with a huge Buddha inside. Worth a look though.

I liked it more than the one at Chang Dow.

Very peaceful and quiet.

There is no accomodation available nearby that I saw.

BTW toilets are by donation, LOL,