New Passport | United States | Non-Immigrant 'B' & Work Permit Questions

Hi all,

I am a bit unclear about this process, as some new regulations came into effect recently regarding extensions of stay and the process and costs associated with the transfer of an extension of stay from an old passport to a new passport. As far as I am aware, the change only impacted those people who hold passports that are due to expire during the extension of stay. This is not my situation, but I am unsure if there are any changes for someone in my position.

Passport Details: I am a US Citizen and hold a US Passport. M y current passport was issued in 2005 and is set to expire sometime in 2015. Back when it was free for American citizens to add pages to a passport, I had pages added twice. Both of these were done at the US Embassy in Bangkok. This has left me with a pretty big passport in terms of size that has been through a bit of travel over the years. Unfortunately, travelling often requires visas, and many countries in Southeast Asia require an entire page for the visa sticker in addition to the entry and exit stamps. Extensions of stay and Re-entry permits aren't too much better in this regard. This means I have one page remaining in my passport with part of the margin in the center fold of the page being obstructed by the tape used to affix the extra pages to the passport.

Extension of Stay & Visa Details: I have just applied for a received an extension of stay (4th consecutive one) permitting me to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand until October 7, 2014. My work permit has also been extended accordingly.

I believe I am able to add pages to my passport for a third time, but I am not absolutely sure. However, this service is no longer free. Given the limited amount of time remaining on my passport, it makes more sense financially to just go ahead and renew my passport early which is what I intend to do.

Furthermore, I have had a child here in Thailand and just gone through the process of obtaining him a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. At the time it was issued 5 months ago, I opted not to apply for his US Passport because I knew my situation regarding my own passport. I'd like my son's passport to be issued when my passport is issued to synchronize the timing of renewals. Although his passport will only be valid for 5 years, his second renewal will be in synch with my next renewal. This minimizes my need to take time off and make the fun-filled trip that visiting the US Embassy always is!

The process of applying for my renewal passport and my son's first passport is pretty straightforward. In fact, I will be scheduling the appointment to make the applications as soon as I am finished typing this post!

My Question(s): As far as I know the changes that took place recently mean that one will only be granted an extension of stay until the expiry of a passport that is due to expire over the course of the extension. Therefore, one must go through the process and pay the associated fees relating to applying for an entirely new extension of stay once the new passport is issued. So, immigration is collecting fees again for issuing a new extension of stay for those who find themselves in the position. However, I am unclear about my own situation and the process I must undertake to transfer my extension of stay from my old passport to my new passport. I will be using the immigration office at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok if it makes a difference, as I know different offices can have different interpretations of the rules.

• Are there any fees to transfer my extension of stay from an old passport to a new passport?
  • What is the process for transferring the stamps from the old passport to the new passport? I have been granted a full year because my passport isn't scheduled to expire until 2015.
  • Approximately how long should I allocate for such a process to be completed at Chaeng Wattana? Is it something simple and straightforward like the process of 90 day reporting, or is it a long affair like the process of applying for an extension of stay? In other words, do I need to be at immigration when they are opening, or is it okay to casually stroll in mid-morning or even in the afternoon depending on my work situation? I do have the ability to take the day off if required,
  • Is there a timeframe in which this needs to be completed after receiving my new passport?
  • How does this impact my 90 day reporting which is currently scheduled for November 4?

I am sorry for the lengthy post. I wanted to ensure I included all of the relevant information that might impact the answers given. I believe I have given all of the information that could possibly be required to answer the aforementioned questions by the wise visa gurus here! I am sincerely grateful for any assistance you can provide, as I have never been through this process before. Thank you in advance for your time and input. wai2.gif

Once you have the new passport you just go to immigration and they will transfer you extension stamp and do a stamp with info about your visa entry and etc. There is no charge for it.

You will need to get your work permit changed to reflect your new passport info.

For those who get a shortened extension they will still do the transfer when a new passport is obtained and then when shortened extension runs out you apply for a new extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

In addition to transferring the stamps to your new passport you need to change the passport number on all bank accounts that you have. The passport number is encoded on the bankbook page that it only visible under the ultraviolet light. I didn't change mine and tried to withdraw a large amount of money at a branch different from where my account was and they would not let me do it since the number on the bankbook didn't agree with the new passport. Just a "heads up".

• Like 1

Thanks for the information so far. I hadn't even thought about bank accounts. That leads me ask the question about my car and motorbike license! Am I also going to have to go and change those as well considering the license number is my current passport number?

I assume it is a straightforward process, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Are the any complications that could arise when it comes to my driver's license? For what it is worth, I have:

1. Private Motorcycle (This is the 5 year)
  2. Temporary Car (This is the 1 year)

There are still a few questions up in the air that I am not clear about. I am hopeful that I can manage all the questions on one thread rather than creating separate posts for each question.

• The US Embassy says it takes up to two weeks for a passport to be issued. Do they retain possession of the old passport for those two weeks?
  • How does renewing your passport affect the 90 day reporting process?
  • Is it a lengthy process to complete at immigration (Chaeng Wattana)? How long should I plan to be at immigration?
  • Is there a timeframe to complete the transfer? How long do I have to transfer the extension of stay from the old passport to the new passport once the new passport has been issued?
  • How important is it to change my licenses (motorbike and car)? (for this one, I will be calling the DLT today to determine the answer)

Again, thank you for the help so far. I need to plan these things with my employer along with a dozen other things. I need to minimize disruptions to my work schedule as much as possible.

1. You keep passport.

2. No effect - you report normally but with new passport number on next report.

3. Very short process of one page form and copies of your current and new passports, arrival card and current stamps. Can take a few minutes or hours depending on queue but normally should be less than an hours this time of year I would suspect.

4. No set time but you can not depart Thailand without doing if on an extension of stay.

5. Have no idea - but I have not updated since 1969.

You will need to get your work permit changed to reflect your new passport info.

I have just spoken with my employer who usually handles any paperwork associated with my Work Permit. I was informed that the two are not linked by my passport number and I don't need to do anything regarding my work permit when my new passport is issued. I was told the new passport would only be required and the new number would only be taken note of when I apply for my next extension in October of 2014.

Furthermore, I have just looked through each page of my Work Permit. It contains no reference to my Passport Number whatsoever on any page! Considering the number seems to be used for so many things, I am surprised that it doesn't appear anywhere in the Work Permit itself.

Does this sound correct regarding the Work Permit?