Ms Windows Registry

tutsiwarrior

quote//

tutsi, if you had norton before you may have a conflict as symantec leave traces of it's installation everywhere in the registry, clen it before to install any others, use the search for norton and symantec, you'll be surprised, even after a clean uninstall

for spysweeper, do the same in the registry, search for webroot and spysweeper, delete all!

begin by hkcu(current user)

francois unquote//

this appears to be good advice...I've swept for viruses and there ain't none but the machine still needs 5 minutes to shut down. I fear that this is because I have downloaded bitdefender anti virus soft ware that clashed with the Norton program already installed. I have uninstalled bitdefender but there may be bitdefender stuff in the registry that is interferring with normal functioning.

If you are not an 'advanced user' you are advised by MS to not mess with with the registry as any mistake could mean having to re-install windows. So how to cleanse the registry if you are a windows wuss like me?

Can Manuf. reps help with this? Are most local IT office people skilled with this? I'd hate to have some incompetent punk <deleted> up my 2 month old laptop

So the question is...who do you turn to when advanced messing about with windows is required?

oh...help...help...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

a registry cleaner might be a start - they will scan through your registry and find entries that do not correspond with programs you have installed and then give you the option of removing those entries.

some freeware and shareware can be found here

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html

and you can back up your registry so it can be restored through dos if you make a big mistake

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial74.html

Guest endure
this appears to be good advice...I've swept for viruses and there ain't none but the machine still needs 5 minutes to shut down.

I know nothing about any of the products you mention but long shutdown times are often a consequence of purging the pagefile for security reasons.

thanx folks...I'll investigate your recomendations. However as I have said I am an IT wuss and would prefer to hand over the machine to a competent service provider for them to clean up the registry and for me to have the option of killing his family if he screws it up...

any other suggestions?

thanx folks...I'll investigate your recomendations. However as I have said I am an IT wuss and would prefer to hand over the machine to a competent service provider for them to clean up the registry and for me to have the optio

trust me on this

download and install the Easy Cleaner Program ive pointed you too

once installed run the program

when you get to the front screen - top left of the grid is registry

click on it and then click on Find at the bottom

give it a few minutes to search the registy

when finished hit delete

this should have got rid of any hangers on from previously uninstalled programs

when done - if youre feeling confident try a few of the other options on offer

PS if youre really feeling uneasy about messing with the registy just create a restore point before doing anything

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Restore

Edited by rio666uk

further to the original problem with conflicting anti virus debris in the windows registry, I have been informed that in VN there is no licensed anti virus software available...not even downloadable from the internet. I have had to resort to my companies regional office in BKK to procure licensed anti virus software (just got to have them updates, not available with pirate copy) and to forward the CD to me here in HCMC.

The question is...when I purchased the laptop there was Norton software installed free for two months then you had to renew. The software that's being sent to me for installation is Norton but is not the same package that was originally installed. Should I anticipate a windows registry problem by having two different Symantec packages for the same purpose loaded onto the machine?...

I hate this...it's tiresome, sort of like the 'three moves then checkmate' chess puzzles in white man's local dailies...

any help?

quote//

...I've swept for viruses and there ain't none but the machine still needs 5 minutes to shut down...

Slow boot and shut down times can also be caused by large, fragmented MFT and Page file. Defrag your drive and do it often, especially if you move large files around,

Most all applications leave registry entries behind even after uninstalls, (most keep previous user options, keys, etc, in case you decide to reinstall later versions of same, etc, they're harmless other than they increase the size of your registry.

Any good registry utility will clean and check your registry, (Registry Mechanic, Norton System Works, WinCleaner, etc). Before messing with the registry, it's a good idea to set a System Restore Point (Win XP), so you can go back if you F... something up and it's easy to do, believe me.

Good Luck, :o