Thai Police officer clarifies 'tourist-beating' video

webfact

Thank you for such an insightful post based on your many years experience of Thai Cultural norms...

OK, if this guy's three years in Thailand isn't enough for you (I assume you're being sarcastic), I've been here for 26 and have also NEVER had a fight with a taxi, tuk-tuk, or motorcycle driver. I struggle to recall any time I've ever been ripped off by one. I even had one refuse to take my fare when he dropped me off because it was on his way home anyway (I admit that is one in a million).

Being polite and respectful has always worked for me it seems.

You are missing the point, we are talking about tourists here who DONT know the rules. Who are lured here by promises from TAT of a holliday without troubles who should be protected from these kind of things.

Agreeing on a price and such and learning the language are things most tourists just don't know. This is a country that lives from tourism its not the tourists who should adapt.

As someone who has lived here long too, I speak the language and agree in prices before. I have been riped off by a rigged meter other then that haven't been ripped off in taxis. Of course many don't open the meter but that is something I have learned to live with and a reason why I have my own transportation.

Also if you read my earlier posts how Thais always seem to respond that Thais are not at fault how many damming evidence there is you will see its a pattern. The cases that mentioned in the other post were widely reported.

bit naive arnt you son,trying to change a nation to your pc way of thinking is bordering on the absurdity,think youve been pumping the wrong stuff ,for xxxx sake this is thailand,love it or leave it.

If you look at my posts in this topic all saying the same thing getting loads of likes then there is only one guy wrong.. and that is you.

• Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh! The Land of Smiles!

"I can′t see the intention behind uploading the clip, because the incident happened long ago," Pol.Col. Suwat added. HAHAHAHAHAHA! It just couldn't stay covered up this way! In other words!

ahem...just had to say it.

post-140155-0-84195600-1381749206_thumb.

Edited by KuhnPaen

The advice should be to pay the fare and then report the incident to the nearest tourist police or a hotline. It should then be followed up carefully by the tourist police. Disputing a fare here is a beatdown request.

The Tourist Police? There's something you need to learn about the Tourist Police. They're not here for the protection of tourists. They exist to police them. To make sure they behave themselves, don't break the law and don't cause trouble for Thais. They're no more useful than the regular police. And you can guess how much that is!
  • Like 1

Do Thai people ever fight one on one?

They love ganging up on people 5 6 7 on 1

Fricken animals

Sounds like the tourists had to pay for damages to items that were

broken by their heads as the items were swung at them

Thai justice ...

More proof that 99% of taxi drives in Thailand are the scum of the earth

dogs do the same, they hunt in packs.

These scumbag taxi drivers!!!

Just 2 weeks ago I was driving my small Motorbike from Ikea / Mega Bangna headed towards Bangkok. I was in the left lane, as required by law, when a Taxi driver, driving in the middle lane suddenly spotted potential customers on the sidewalk and immediately cut right in front of me and hit the brakes. To avoid a crash, I tried to get around him on the outside, but gently hit the car with a plastic bag (containing a pillow) hanging from my left mirror. Passing the driver I used the horn and called him an idiot. Then he forgot all about the potential customers and drove after me, shouted someting in Thai out of the window and tried to make me stop. I just kept driving, but then he chased me and again threw his taxi around other cars and right in front of me to cut me off, hit the brakes and jumped out of the car. He was a big guy around 30-35 years old and acting extremely agressively towards little old me, so I kept in mind that some Taxi drivers carry guns, knives, clubs or even samurai swords in the cars, which made me decide to try to escape from him. I managed to get around the taxi right in front of me, speed up and luckily escaped from whatever was waiting for me. I was really scared and imagined that I could very well soon be hit by a bullit in my back. Luckily there were lots of cars on the roads, which made my escape possible. Luckily I was very familiar with this particular area, and knew exactly where to drive, to escape this mad taxi driver. The Taxi was one of the most common yellow and green taxis, and unfortunately I only thought about escaping, so I didn´t think about checking the number. Now every time I meet a yellow and green taxi in this area, where I frequently need to go, I fear that it could be this mad taxi driver, who would possibly kill me if he only could get a second chance.

So if you hadn't used the horn as a form of rebuke, not called him an idiot and just continued on your way, none of this would have happened.

If the moron hadn't cut across the lanes and slammed the brakes on then none of this would have happened.

• Like 1

i would rather crawl 30 miles on broken glass than use a taxi,they are the worst of the worst,im always amazed how they think after a 18 hour flight i want to ''engage in a conversation'' at 3 am, as we all know they are working on the tip the moment you sit down,then when they know you are western out comes the ''eagles greatest hits''...i say ''dude its 3 am''...but we must keep one eye open on the road or they fall asleep at the wheel or they need gas or a new rad hose,then when we finally arrive at our destination,they think we are pals....im waiting for the all female taxi service...thailand would be paradise with out all the thai men between 15 and 50.....the end

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

100% agree.

Been 5 years here, never had a single problem. I did see some foreigners getting their heads cracked though and i've seen some fights break out but 95% of the time it was because of some angry drunk foreigner that started some shit with their loud ass mouth that they couldn't finish. I've also witnessed a thai getting beat the shit out of him because he disrespected a white guy who did absolutely nothing and the white guy thai buddies took care of the other guy.

The thing you see happening and that whole 'thai vs farang' is nothing compared to what's happening between thais.

'He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.'

Agree. Some people are often too busy worrying about their own self and don't take time to try to walk into the shoes of others and at the same time, learn how to deal with them. And no offense to anyone here because i don't know anyone enough to make a judgement, but i'm pretty sure alot of y'all talk about stuffs that you read on internet or got told and never really saw it by your own eyes (And you try to use that famous 'Oh but i've been there for 10-20 years so i'm obviously right!) statement to try to justify and back up what you got told by others.

Obviously you might find an asshol_e that's gonna try to bump into you or disrespect you for no reason, but from my personnal experience, if you're polite, respectful, you won't have any problems (Beside maybe getting ripped for 1$ but i'm pretty sure if you're a little bit smart and can manage your ego from getting killed or getting into a fight, you can manage that situation very easily)

Anyway most of the time, it's always low class drunk people that try to create/start problems. I'm way more angered at foreigners spending their days sipping beers at the bar, talking shit about Thailand and their people while being drunk and acting tough (I see that every single day) than some thais trying to get an extra dollar of me to feed his family

Edited by shocky2004
  • Like 1

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

100% agree.

Been 5 years here, never had a single problem. I did see some foreigners getting their heads cracked though and i've seen some fights break out but 95% of the time it was because of some angry drunk foreigner that started some shit with their loud ass mouth that they couldn't finish. I've also witnessed a thai getting beat the shit out of him because he disrespected a white guy who did absolutely nothing and the white guy thai buddies took care of the other guy.

The thing you see happening and that whole 'thai vs farang' is nothing compared to what's happening between thais.

'He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.'

Agree. Some people are often too busy worrying about their own self and don't take time to try to walk into the shoes of others and at the same time, learn how to deal with them. And no offense to anyone here because i don't know anyone enough to make a judgement, but i'm pretty sure alot of y'all talk about stuffs that you read on internet or got told and never really saw it by your own eyes (And you try to use that famous 'Oh but i've been there for 10-20 years so i'm obviously right!) statement to try to justify and back up what you got told by others.

Obviously you might find an asshol_e that's gonna try to bump into you or disrespect you for no reason, but from my personnal experience, if you're polite, respectful, you won't have any problems (Beside maybe getting ripped for 1$ but i'm pretty sure if you're a little bit smart and can manage your ego from getting killed or getting into a fight, you can manage that situation very easily)

Anyway most of the time, it's always low class drunk people that try to create/start problems. I'm way more angered at foreigners spending their days sipping beers at the bar, talking shit about Thailand and their people while being drunk and acting tough (I see that every single day) than some thais trying to get an extra dollar of me to feed his family

Illegally. If he wants more money he can get a different job.

He can put his metre on and expect to be paid that fare. Anything else and it is not the farang's fault there is an altercation.

Edited by FDog

Just 2 weeks ago I was driving my small Motorbike from Ikea / Mega Bangna headed towards Bangkok. I was in the left lane, as required by law, when a Taxi driver, driving in the middle lane suddenly spotted potential customers on the sidewalk and immediately cut right in front of me and hit the brakes. To avoid a crash, I tried to get around him on the outside, but gently hit the car with a plastic bag (containing a pillow) hanging from my left mirror. Passing the driver I used the horn and called him an idiot. Then he forgot all about the potential customers and drove after me, shouted someting in Thai out of the window and tried to make me stop. I just kept driving, but then he chased me and again threw his taxi around other cars and right in front of me to cut me off, hit the brakes and jumped out of the car. He was a big guy around 30-35 years old and acting extremely agressively towards little old me, so I kept in mind that some Taxi drivers carry guns, knives, clubs or even samurai swords in the cars, which made me decide to try to escape from him. I managed to get around the taxi right in front of me, speed up and luckily escaped from whatever was waiting for me. I was really scared and imagined that I could very well soon be hit by a bullit in my back. Luckily there were lots of cars on the roads, which made my escape possible. Luckily I was very familiar with this particular area, and knew exactly where to drive, to escape this mad taxi driver. The Taxi was one of the most common yellow and green taxis, and unfortunately I only thought about escaping, so I didn´t think about checking the number. Now every time I meet a yellow and green taxi in this area, where I frequently need to go, I fear that it could be this mad taxi driver, who would possibly kill me if he only could get a second chance.

So if you hadn't used the horn as a form of rebuke, not called him an idiot and just continued on your way, none of this would have happened.

If the moron hadn't cut across the lanes and slammed the brakes on then none of this would have happened.

Anger management 101.

100% agree.

Illegally. If he wants more money he can get a different job.

He can put his metre on and expect to be paid that fare. Anything else and it is not the farang's fault there is an altercation.

I 100% understand what you're saying but when you're getting in a situation like that, it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, you already know what's coming.

I would rather just let it go, lose a dollar instead of engaging in a fight and having the risk of getting hurt or even getting killed and lose even more money if the police get involved. But i guess we all react differently in this kind of situation...

I have never had a problem with a taxi driver, tuk-tuk driver, or motorbike taxi when we settled on the business beforehand. If a taxi driver fails to start the meter, then I get out immediately. These guys know they can screw you if you negotiate after the trip is made, thus the arguments. 

yes I agree , when you confirm the price in advance there cannot be any problems.

I saw once a guy from UK getting off a tuk tuk in Patong Beach. The guy spoke briefly to the tuk tuk driver and this punched him in the face. After I saw him paying the fare, tuk tuk drove away and I went towards him asking "are you all right ?". "I am fine" he said "I've just told him that instead of 400baht agreed for 10 minutes ride, he could accept 300 otherwise he had to give me change for 1,000 baht"
  • Like 1

100% agree.

Illegally.  If he wants more money he can get a different job.

He can put his metre on and expect to be paid that fare.  Anything else and it is not the farang's fault there is an altercation.

I 100% understand what you're saying but when you're getting in a situation like that, it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, you already know what's coming.

I would rather just let it go, lose a dollar instead of engaging in a fight and having the risk of getting hurt or even getting killed and lose even more money if the police get involved. But i guess we all react differently in this kind of situation...

It seems some people make it a question of principles while instead they should see the worthiness itself of engaging in an argument leading to dramatic consequences over 2 or 3 dollars

• Like 2

Anger management 101.

Yes, the moron that cut him off should have taken anger management classes, acknowledged his stupidity and apologised.

200 baht fine for Thais, and 5000 baht for falangs. Win win for all! blink.png

If what the report says is true (it's not difficult to believe), then that's perfectly reasonable. 200 baht for fighting, 5000 baht for vandalism.

Just think of it this way, by chasing you down he's probably lost about 100 baht in income (80 baht fare, 20 baht for gas), he probably only nets about 500 baht a day so because of his stupidity, he's lost a fifth of his daily income.

I use taxis only 1-2 times per year but around 2 weeks ago was one of those occasions at mo chit bus station around 3am, first guy came running over asking where i go then said 500bht ok?

I replied no meter no deal...next guy comes and says...ok meter...where you go? i followed him to his taxi but as i closed the door he said 300bht ok?

I just got out and walked away without a word then noticed a huge taxi rank with way over 50 taxis and a ticket waiting system similar to the airport, i got in a taxi and he turned the meter on...did,nt ask which football team i support and drove kinda ok apart from shooting down the left turn only lane past the traffic to get to the front as the lights went green a couple of times,

Stopped outside the door and the meter said 220bht...i gave him 250 he smiled and drove away, i just cant be arsed with these idiots who refuse to turn the meter on.

• Like 2

Thailand The Hub of cowards and scum bags

If this doesn`t break Thai visa rules, than I wonder what does?

Many of these thread themes are becoming platforms for those of lesser intellect to voice they’re racist and Thai bashing comments against the Thai people and Thailand. These days it appears that they are becoming the majority on these forums with hardly anything good or informative to say regarding the Thais and the country as a whole, and is mostly just criticisms whatever the subjects, they are just looking for the slightest of excuses to voice their prejudices and racist opinions against Thailand.

I believe that most of these Thai bashing comments are quoted by a section of racist farangs who either don`t live in Thailand, or for some reasons have failed to stay the course here and are disgruntled, or in other words, the losers who believe that Thailand should have commitments to them instead of actually perceiving them for the failures they actually are.

I am finding this trend rather concerning and of course these now frequent types of comments are not of any benefits to the ex-pats already living here, who the majority are quite content and happy with their lifestyles in Thailand and have good accord with their Thai hosts and have none or few complaints about the LOS.

For those who have become irritated with Thailand, why do you stay here? And for those with extremist views that are not living in Thailand, what points are you trying to make and for what purpose?

My advice is; find something else more sagacious to do and get a life. And for those of you who don`t know what sagacious means, look it up in the dictionary.

And with what appears to be too many farangs with extremist viewpoints, such as Thailand is full of cowards and scum, is good reasons to kerb the long stay and keep tight controls of these farangs in the country and to never permit them any strong footholds here. Dangerous for the Thai people, of no benefits to Thailand whatsoever.

and how is it being racist? it says nothing about Thais..read it properly it says Thailand..it is not just Thais who live in Thailand...try not to fall of your high horse matey it is a long drop

Many of these thread themes are becoming platforms for those of lesser intellect to voice they’re racist and Thai bashing comments against the Thai people and Thailand. These days it appears that they are becoming the majority on these forums with hardly anything good or informative to say regarding the Thais and the country as a whole, and is mostly just criticisms whatever the subjects, they are just looking for the slightest of excuses to voice their prejudices and racist opinions against Thailand.

I believe that most of these Thai bashing comments are quoted by a section of racist farangs who either don`t live in Thailand, or for some reasons have failed to stay the course here and are disgruntled, or in other words, the losers who believe that Thailand should have commitments to them instead of actually perceiving them for the failures they actually are.

I am finding this trend rather concerning and of course these now frequent types of comments are not of any benefits to the ex-pats already living here, who the majority are quite content and happy with their lifestyles in Thailand and have good accord with their Thai hosts and have none or few complaints about the LOS.

For those who have become irritated with Thailand, why do you stay here? And for those with extremist views that are not living in Thailand, what points are you trying to make and for what purpose?

My advice is; find something else more sagacious to do and get a life. And for those of you who don`t know what sagacious means, look it up in the dictionary.

And with what appears to be too many farangs with extremist viewpoints, such as Thailand is full of cowards and scum, is good reasons to kerb the long stay and keep tight controls of these farangs in the country and to never permit them any strong footholds here. Dangerous for the Thai people, of no benefits to Thailand whatsoever.

and how is it being racist? it says nothing about Thais..read it properly it says Thailand..it is not just Thais who live in Thailand...try not to fall of your high horse matey it is a long drop

Really?

So you actually mean all of us living in Thailand are cowards and scum? And does this include all those fools who clicked your like button also?

Does this also include you? Or are you exempt for some reason? Or some sort of elite ex-pat, now probably an ex ex-pat who could not hack it here I`ve no doubts. No great loss I`m sure.

So there you have it viewers, according to the genius opinion with the apt name of been here 2 long, once we step foot in Thailand, we all become cowards and scum.

I can assure you that even if you live to 120, you`re never be as smart as me. Your answer was good, but not convincing enough.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

when they know you are western out comes the ''eagles greatest hits'' "dude it's 3 a.m."

LOL. Apologies for the off topic but once I'd flown in to Suvarnabhumi at midnight after a 7 hour flight and grabbed a taxi. Shagged out I had to endure his CD of western platters that matter withfirstly "Hotel California", then " Country Roads" but it was " Love Me Love My Dog" that was the musical equivalent of water boarding and I asked him to turn it off.

Edited by mca

Do Thai people ever fight one on one?

They love ganging up on people 5 6 7 on 1

Fricken animals

Sounds like the tourists had to pay for damages to items that were

broken by their heads as the items were swung at them

Thai justice ...

More proof that 99% of taxi drives in Thailand are the scum of the earth

Only in muay Thai fights.

Feel bad for the tourists. What a nice honeymoon. Remember that Thais don't consider them farang. They are other terms like kak kaow or kak dum. Who they dislike more than blonde hair blue eyed types. I have to admit some of them are racist. Please don't post some BS chart rating Thailand as most racist or violent.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Farang, kak kaow or kak dum. It doesn´t matter.

We are all foreigner and most of the Thai people stand us only for the money we spend here.

I understand you are thai and you don´t like to hear the truth but the truth is the truth.

Have a nice day Khun kon Thai

The advice should be to pay the fare and then report the incident to the nearest tourist police or a hotline. It should then be followed up carefully by the tourist police. Disputing a fare here is a beatdown request.

The Tourist Police? There's something you need to learn about the Tourist Police. They're not here for the protection of tourists. They exist to police them. To make sure they behave themselves, don't break the law and don't cause trouble for Thais. They're no more useful than the regular police. And you can guess how much that is!

Right you are.

The Tourist Police, just like the regular police or security guards or anyone with some authority in Thailand will exploit their position of power for personal gains.

25 years ago, the Tourist Police were formed to battle the gem scam but as we can clearly see, the gem scammers are still crowding around the Grand Palace. Can't seem to catch the culprits...

The Tourist Police are good at filling out the tourists gem scam forms and stonewalling them until their holiday is over.

They jerk around tourists, pretending to help while ruining their holidays at the same time.

I confirmed this with staff at the Tourist Authority. " They said the Tourist Police are dangerous.

Really?

So you actually mean all of us living in Thailand are cowards and scum? And does this include all those fools who clicked your like button also?

Does this also include you? Or are you exempt for some reason? Or some sort of elite ex-pat, now probably an ex ex-pat who could not hack it here I`ve no doubts. No great loss I`m sure.

So there you have it viewers, according to the genius opinion with the apt name of been here 2 long, once we step foot in Thailand, we all become cowards and scum.

I can assure you that even if you live to 120, you`re never be as smart as me. Your answer was good, but not convincing enough.

oh dear..now you are trying to put more words in my mouth...all i will say is IF THE CAP FITS WEAR IT... i got a sneaky idea no one is as smart as you..

i would like to see ,and its about time these storys make more headlines , because it is getting bad here , such as, get that police man , and put him on the front page of the newspapers , to explain 5000 baht fine , to tourists 200 baht to thais

time to name shame these thais that do this .

• Like 2

Amen.

Maybe...just maybe...that is the case, because the good things to say about Thailand and the "Thai Culture" (or Thainess) get fewer and fewer every day!

Possible, no?!

• Like 1