Thai Police officer clarifies 'tourist-beating' video

webfact

I witnessed a drunk Russian get handcuffed, then the policeman stepped back as a Thai mob kicked and kicked and kicked the guy in the head. Then someone smashed his skull with a large piece of wood.

Don't think he could have survived the blow.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone once told me always be careful in a fight with a Thai. You are fighting to win, he maybe fighting to kill.

Replace second "he" with they.

"They maybe fighting to kill".

I have never ever seen a Thai fighting someone alone.

They attack only in packs.

And when a foreigner is involved, all Thais present, will jump in.

Seen it happen time and time again.

Disgusting !

• Like 2

The clarification was clarified, clearly and cleverly.

The clarification was, locals are treated one way and the farangs are to be used, squeezed monetarily, assaulted and use any other method necessary to prove who is the guest and whose country it is.

I am surprised so many are surprised at this un-surprising, un-surreal treatment of a guest of theirs.

¡Viva! to the videographer who viewed such vileness with visual sensitivity and to voice their view by verily uploading for us to verify such visual viscosity!

These scumbag taxi drivers!!!

Just 2 weeks ago I was driving my small Motorbike from Ikea / Mega Bangna headed towards Bangkok. I was in the left lane, as required by law, when a Taxi driver, driving in the middle lane suddenly spotted potential customers on the sidewalk and immediately cut right in front of me and hit the brakes. To avoid a crash, I tried to get around him on the outside, but gently hit the car with a plastic bag (containing a pillow) hanging from my left mirror. Passing the driver I used the horn and called him an idiot. Then he forgot all about the potential customers and drove after me, shouted someting in Thai out of the window and tried to make me stop. I just kept driving, but then he chased me and again threw his taxi around other cars and right in front of me to cut me off, hit the brakes and jumped out of the car. He was a big guy around 30-35 years old and acting extremely agressively towards little old me, so I kept in mind that some Taxi drivers carry guns, knives, clubs or even samurai swords in the cars, which made me decide to try to escape from him. I managed to get around the taxi right in front of me, speed up and luckily escaped from whatever was waiting for me. I was really scared and imagined that I could very well soon be hit by a bullit in my back. Luckily there were lots of cars on the roads, which made my escape possible. Luckily I was very familiar with this particular area, and knew exactly where to drive, to escape this mad taxi driver. The Taxi was one of the most common yellow and green taxis, and unfortunately I only thought about escaping, so I didn´t think about checking the number. Now every time I meet a yellow and green taxi in this area, where I frequently need to go, I fear that it could be this mad taxi driver, who would possibly kill me if he only could get a second chance.

So if you hadn't used the horn as a form of rebuke, not called him an idiot and just continued on your way, none of this would have happened.

Another blame the victim post. It's okay for the taxi driver to endanger a motorbiker with dangerous and careless driving but using the horn is a big no-no? Looks like someone is trying a bit too hard to integrate into Thai culture.

I've had cars put my life and the lives of my riding buddies at risk due to their arrogance and impatience. In these cases we usually just punch off their wing mirror as we fly by.

• Like 1

Many of these thread themes are becoming platforms for those of lesser intellect to voice they’re racist and Thai bashing comments against the Thai people and Thailand.

Oh dear! Any comment would be superfluous!

Re-read your sentence. Now tell me, who are the ones with 'lesser intellect'?

FAIL!

BTW, MasterCard called. They want their (hint!) race card back!

You strike me as just another middle-class, white liberal on a guilt trip protecting the poor Thais against any criticism from those nasty westerners, no matter how deserved.

Just another Thai-wannabe with his head buried in the sand...or elsewhere.

• Like 1

A Bahraini was humiliated because his wife spoke to another person. It's interesting that you've chosen to ignore the essence of the story.

These middle eastern scum "protect" their women by covering them up and everything and their women are not allowed to speak to other men.

i would rather crawl 30 miles on broken glass than use a taxi,they are the worst of the worst,im always amazed how they think after a 18 hour flight i want to ''engage in a conversation'' at 3 am, as we all know they are working on the tip the moment you sit down,then when they know you are western out comes the ''eagles greatest hits''...i say ''dude its 3 am''...but we must keep one eye open on the road or they fall asleep at the wheel or they need gas or a new rad hose,then when we finally arrive at our destination,they think we are pals....im waiting for the all female taxi service...thailand would be paradise with out all the thai men between 15 and 50.....the end

any country would be paradise without the men around. What country do you come from? It would be paradise too if all the men in your country from 15-50 just disappeared i also wonder what happens to those below 15.

Seeing the video I don't really understand whats up(those Tourists and Thai same same) One thing with Thailand and south eastern Asia(major tourist places with greedy people) nr1, Rule you should always have encoded in your DNA, never ever forgot!!!When you jump into a taxi, haircut, what ever it might be. ALWAYS ask how much before you decide to buy/do it. Don't drop your guard cuz of that wide smile biggrin.png If you don't follow this simple rule. You can be lucky or really unlucky. they will come out with a fantasy price. They will lie to them self in their head that they are right. If the police finally comes: you will be the one that was stupid, cuz you didn't ask how much before. NO MATER how boring it is to ask. Always do it. It can save you a lot of trouble.

In BKK if you're unlucky you can have one of those gangster type of tuk-tuk or taxi drivers. here its most important to follow your code: ASK First. If he tells you don't worry you're my friend I give you good price, be prepared to fight when you reach your destination, if you don't want to pay. or jump out and take another one there are thousands. If you who look very Nordic blue eyed-white hair. I you tell them you are Russian. and try to look stiff like terminator with your sunglasses on. level of getting ripped of will recuse with high percentage.

You must understand that many taxi drivers could get fortunes in the old days if they found an afraid tourist and scared the crap out o him regarding the price, these gold digging times were before the compulsory taximeter many are angry because they used to earn a lot more before. even thai people got affected by their greedy in those days.

All those questions were you come from, what do you work with?Is to calculate how much money that can get from you. If you come ex: Scandinavia. They know you are friendly and 90% will not cause that much trouble just pay and move on. but if you say you're Russian or similar. they will think: hes blond looking but he will probably fight back and not agree to pay that kind amount. A reliable friend who lived in BKK long time. told me a lot regarding the "taxi bad boys"

There is a resent video of an American got killed in BKK:

(American hacked to death by taxi driver with samurai sword over $1.60 cab fare in Thailand)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/8/american-hacked-death-bangkok-over-160-taxi-disput/

200 baht fine for Thais, and 5000 baht for falangs. Win win for all! blink.png

Yep. The chair broke when it hit the falangs. So bill the falangs. Sad but this is probably just a small picture of how poorly a foreigner can fare in Thailand. Frustrating because I see more and more of it and makes me less inclined to work and then retire here even though I sorely want to. I am getting less and less sure that the odds of good versus bad things happening are proper.

The issue I have with that video and the Police Co. Suwat Suksri's comments is that the fines regardless of the lead up do not address what the video is showing. That being the victims are being violated with weapons (the chair), are being violently assaulted with kicks to the head and also the women is being robbed. Regardless of whether there was a dispute that led to the video incident shown, that does not give any group the right to then resolve the issue to the extent that the video is showing. That is what the police should be there for and clamping down on to avoid the mob and vigilante style beatings and robbery being shown. Adding in also the understanding that Thailand does attract some westerners who also are no better. Sadly for Thailand some of their police are no better nor is their governance.

One of the issues that Thailand and its society has is that westerners who know and understand Thailand, its corruption and incompetence are not surprised with the police findings and outcome. And that really says it all in spite of the pretty Thaksin mouth piece who's only response is more empty action Utopian thoughts.

Thailand The Hub of cowards and scum bags

If this doesn`t break Thai visa rules, than I wonder what does?

Many of these thread themes are becoming platforms for those of lesser intellect to voice they’re racist and Thai bashing comments against the Thai people and Thailand. These days it appears that they are becoming the majority on these forums with hardly anything good or informative to say regarding the Thais and the country as a whole, and is mostly just criticisms whatever the subjects, they are just looking for the slightest of excuses to voice their prejudices and racist opinions against Thailand.

I believe that most of these Thai bashing comments are quoted by a section of racist farangs who either don`t live in Thailand, or for some reasons have failed to stay the course here and are disgruntled, or in other words, the losers who believe that Thailand should have commitments to them instead of actually perceiving them for the failures they actually are.

I am finding this trend rather concerning and of course these now frequent types of comments are not of any benefits to the ex-pats already living here, who the majority are quite content and happy with their lifestyles in Thailand and have good accord with their Thai hosts and have none or few complaints about the LOS.

For those who have become irritated with Thailand, why do you stay here? And for those with extremist views that are not living in Thailand, what points are you trying to make and for what purpose?

My advice is; find something else more sagacious to do and get a life. And for those of you who don`t know what sagacious means, look it up in the dictionary.

And with what appears to be too many farangs with extremist viewpoints, such as Thailand is full of cowards and scum, is good reasons to kerb the long stay and keep tight controls of these farangs in the country and to never permit them any strong footholds here. Dangerous for the Thai people, of no benefits to Thailand whatsoever.

So to extrapolate out your point of view, the entity doing the actual disservice to Thailand would be Thai Visa themselves by choosing to publish stories like this one. It is pretty much a given that posting another one of the endless videos of a group of Thais kicking the crap

out of a tourist will bring out some angry comments. So really you should be writing an angry letter to Thai Visa requesting that they no

longer print stories like this one, thus keeping future tourists in the dark , and preserving the illusion that Thailand is still indeed the land of smiles.....

• Like 2

If this doesn`t break Thai visa rules, than I wonder what does?

Many of these thread themes are becoming platforms for those of lesser intellect to voice they’re racist and Thai bashing comments against the Thai people and Thailand. These days it appears that they are becoming the majority on these forums with hardly anything good or informative to say regarding the Thais and the country as a whole, and is mostly just criticisms whatever the subjects, they are just looking for the slightest of excuses to voice their prejudices and racist opinions against Thailand.

I believe that most of these Thai bashing comments are quoted by a section of racist farangs who either don`t live in Thailand, or for some reasons have failed to stay the course here and are disgruntled, or in other words, the losers who believe that Thailand should have commitments to them instead of actually perceiving them for the failures they actually are.

I am finding this trend rather concerning and of course these now frequent types of comments are not of any benefits to the ex-pats already living here, who the majority are quite content and happy with their lifestyles in Thailand and have good accord with their Thai hosts and have none or few complaints about the LOS.

For those who have become irritated with Thailand, why do you stay here? And for those with extremist views that are not living in Thailand, what points are you trying to make and for what purpose?

My advice is; find something else more sagacious to do and get a life. And for those of you who don`t know what sagacious means, look it up in the dictionary.

And with what appears to be too many farangs with extremist viewpoints, such as Thailand is full of cowards and scum, is good reasons to kerb the long stay and keep tight controls of these farangs in the country and to never permit them any strong footholds here. Dangerous for the Thai people, of no benefits to Thailand whatsoever.

So to extrapolate out your point of view, the entity doing the actual disservice to Thailand would be Thai Visa themselves by choosing to publish stories like this one. It is pretty much a given that posting another one of the endless videos of a group of Thais kicking the crap

out of a tourist will bring out some angry comments. So really you should be writing an angry letter to Thai Visa requesting that they no

longer print stories like this one, thus keeping future tourists in the dark , and preserving the illusion that Thailand is still indeed the land of smiles.....

Don't worry: with the new law on thought crimes, this problem will eventually solve itself!

And then, all the Thai- appologistst will have it their way: only positive things about Thailand!

And if 6 Thais beat the sh1t out of a farang, it is just their way of expressing the beloved "Thainess", it is just a way for them to show their fantastic cultures and traditions!

• Like 1

Firstly one should try to get the facts before passing judgment, YES I do know that it's hard to get the facts here, and it's well known that some kinds of tourist do make trouble where ever they go, have a look at the sign on Phi Phi island,(Israelis)

but a quick version I have been told about this was,,,

The tourist couple were in Naton Koh Samui, at the bus station to catch a bus to go on too Phuket, The husband was not happy for his wife to sit next to other men traveling on the same bus and wanted a refund, the tour operator explained that it is not her problem about the other male passengers in the bus a and they could take a different bus if they wished but no refund was possible for this reason of seating and male passengers, and so the fight...

if the tourist started smashing up the shop then he got what he deserved, I think kicking people on the ground is NOT ok though simply control the offender until police come to extract their cash for the day,

Lesson for the day,,, tour operator loose, tourist loose, Thailand loose, BIB WIN!!!

• Like 1

Southern Thailand, looks like Muslim, must be muslim and foreign. Mai me pen ha, lets kick the shit out of them for having offened my pride and they have bucklies of getting any help. Then we make up story that they try and cheat us. All know they are Cheaters,right.and foreign. Kaks,mai dee.

The guy in the multi colored shirt is a coward, coming out of nowhere to kick the tourist. Then when the guy is down, proceeds to kick in the head again.

This doesn't shock me but why do the police not increase these fines to maybe make the others jumping in less likely to do it in the future?

Who's side do you think the cops are on? The loss of face to the police is clear once the clip went public, as you point out; the Thai coward wades in from nowhere and his aggression is to inflict GBH. However, the police response is to fine the tourists heavily for knocking over a few plastic chairs! Thai justice in action!!

I witnessed a drunk Russian get handcuffed, then the policeman stepped back as a Thai mob kicked and kicked and kicked the guy in the head. Then someone smashed his skull with a large piece of wood.

Don't think he could have survived the blow.

The Thai/BIB apologists will say your imagination must have ran away with it's self!

Let's get it strait, I love a lot of people here; (my brother in law's a police captain and even he is exasperated by the BIB!) but I know a lot of bad shit is hurled against tourists when it's Thai v farang and its nearly always sticking to the farang!!

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

That's funny. I remember my very first entrance into Thailand many years ago. I had an altercation with the very first taxi driver I encountered. And this was taking the taxi from the airport into bangkok and the price was negotiated prior to leaving the airport. Just goes to show, everyone's experience is different.

Many comments in the website, and other social network sites, berate the Thai nationals for their aggressive behaviours against the tourists.

This part we know is basically true

While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

This bit is a bit which is hard to believe, but Pol.Col. Suwat has his result, blame the farangs and make a bit of money on the side...

All is good in la la land for quality tourists

Not hard to believe if you have Bahraini husband who smashed a CCTV camera in front of his hotel room. he accuse that the hotel is spying on his wife when she opens the room door to put out the plates. They paid for the damaged camera. " blame the farang " no no no. We should "blame the Thai" for putting up the CCTV in the hotel room corridor and "blame the Thai " for not running away when Bahrain women/ girl talks to you. ( I am not thai ) .

Regardless of the circumstances around how the fight began, what many object to, including me, is the FACT that if you get into a fight with a Thai, then be prepared to defend yourself against any Thai male in sight because that is their SOP. A farang in a fight is an invitation to all Thais to get their whacks in. Do you think that is fair?

• Like 1