Waiting for Digital Television?

klikster

A recent conversation with the wife revealed that many Thais are waiting to digital TV before buying new sets. Apparently, sales of new TV's are very slow. I'm a little confused and wondering if some of the issues are with screen resolution?

We need to buy 2 units, probably 55". What is the problems with existing equipment? Which units should I be looking at? I'm in Khon Kaen town.

Seems like now should be a good time to buy? With tuners, without tuners? (I read that in another thread).

Will likely have satellite -- or if lucky, cable.

It's unclear what type of tuner will be required. Just but aTV w/out a digital tuner and add a set top box later whenever digital transmission finally happen. Note that all of this only matters if you're only going to watch free to air....

I seriously doubt anyone is holding there breath or wallets for digital TV in Thailand. Anyone wanting quality reception is already using satellite TV for reception; or will be. And these require specific tuners for the system used (so that money can be charged for pay service). Cable is the same with separate tuners required. As for 'a good time to buy' have seldom seen anything sold at much of a discount here due to slow sales - only if being dumped are prices normally reduced more than a smidgen.

No, she doesn't surf the web often, but she is a traditional 50 yr old Isaan woman who pays attention to what she feels is important.

BUT TO CLARIFY my original post, it's less about price and more about technology

There will be 500 Baht set top boxes aplenty once digital FTA actually starts, and you indicate you'll be using pay TV anyway, so it's all a bit moot :)

In any case, just buy the TV you like best - the only reason you'd hold off buying something now is if your wanted to wait for 4K / HDMIv2 to become more widespread/lower priced.

New LG Tvs with built in DVB-T tuners (with a T suffix at the end of model name like 47LA620T) are available to buy. They are 1000 baht more expensive than non DVB-T models.

Precisely the type of information I was looking for. Thank you very much. muratremix. smile.png