Abhisit calls on PM Yingluck to reveal truth on bartering rice for high-speed train

webfact

Abhisit calls on PM to reveal truth on bartering rice for high-speed train

PNPOL561014001000401.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 October 2013 (NNT) - Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has called on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to speak the truth regarding how Thai rice is being sold to China in exchange for the high-speed rail service.

Mr. Abhisit has insisted that the Prime Minister disclosed the facts about whether or not Thai rice was being sold to China in exchange for the much-talked-about high-speed train.

He continued on to say that the 2.2 billion baht loan which the government planned to use to develop the country’s entire infrastructure would only have one final destination - Nakhon Ratchasima province.

He urged the government to consider this fact carefully as the northeastern region of Thailand is the bastion of their votes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-14 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"He continued on to say that the 2.2 billion baht loan which the government planned to use to develop the country’s entire infrastructure would only have one final destination - Nakhon Ratchasima province."

OK, Challenge - what does he mean when he says the above and how it is that one comment backed up by facts? Anybody?

Abhisit comment on the loan going to one particular area is spot on, I tend to agree that it will end up another PTP sham of some sort, as per usual, the rice bartering has me more amused than perplexed , how many tonnes of rice to one high speed train set of eight carriages , shades of some other colour than grey are creeping in here.coffee1.gif

Abhisit comment on the loan going to one particular area is spot on, I tend to agree that it will end up another PTP sham of some sort, as per usual, the rice bartering has me more amused than perplexed , how many tonnes of rice to one high speed train set of eight carriages , shades of some other colour than grey are creeping in here.coffee1.gif

OK but why to that one area and how. You say his comment is spot on, so you obviously understand it - can you explain to me his comment and why it should happen?

The voters from Isaan will find out some time in the far future, that they have been used for the profit of some wealthy few...

Many of them know this already, but since the party still throws them a few bones, they don;t see much choice in who to vote for. They may be disappointed in the PTP, but to vote democrat would be unthinkable.

Thai Visa Citizens to the rescue I feel

Fellow brethren.. I beseech you to eat rice, rice and more rice.... yes yes I know its all old and full of fumigants and alike but if we as a group can collectively eat through this mountain of rice then we will stop a Chinese high speed train line from going ahead and as far as Im concerned I would consider ingestion of 20 kgs of suspect rice to be far less dangerous to ones health and indeed the general populace well being than a Chinese designed and built, Thai maintained high speed rail line...

Do your duty....

China has thousands of kilometers of high-speed rail that runs every day and has for years. They have had one major accident - that looks like it probably had corruption at its root. So on what basis do you doubt their ability to build a safe high-speed train in Thailand? (Meaning their ability as opposed to the Japanese or the French - not because it happens to be in Thailand)

• Like 1

What a load of mindless nonsense.First of all the North East is now the most dynamic growth region in Thailand and although poverty exists there has been remarkable progress over the last twenty years.It's a question for discussion what are the causes of this new prosperity, but it's not really debatable that great progress has been made.As to politicians role it's first important to understand that in all democracies policies are formulated to attract electoral support, not the only consideration but still a very important one.In the North East for decades, despite the huge populatiuon, electors were essentially regarded as voting fodder and not taken seriously by the Bangkok establishment - poor ignorant peasants.Thaksin changed all that and that is why his support in the NE and North is so solid.He didn't adopt populist policies because he is a good man:he did it because he is (usually) an astute politician.The Democrats have followed in his footsteps in copying and in some cases enhancing policies designed to appeal to rural voters.

I agree it would be healthy if other political parties could strengthen their presence in the NE, but that means (in the case of the Democrats) detoxifying their brand.The next general election will make the position crystal clear.

I certainly can't speak for you, however I live in rural Isaan in a typical Thai village in Surin and believe you me the locals are far from happy with this current government and its shenanigans and dubious self enrichment scams schemes.

Certainly Thaksin did not adopt populist policies to encourage support for his personal party P.T.P. He bought it at 500 baht a go, many of the villagers are now realizing that the 500 baht they got has in reality cost them 5,000 baht in the payback Thaksin and his family and their brown nosing acolytes repayment scams schemes.

The facts are the voters are starting to see that the veneer of promised prosperity ''a chicken in every pot'' is in fact for Thaksin his family and their brown nosing acolytes not Mr. and Mrs. Somcahi the average Thai person.

Certainly those aforementioned folks are indeed getting a chicken in their pot, the problem being is that those chickens are coming from the farms stock and are not being replaced neither.

Just a brief question.

Do you actually have any daily contact with the villagers of Isaan and are you really in touch with what they think or is it mindless supposition induced by rose tinted glasses one must ?

Your choice of the words ''ignorant peasants'' is indeed a gross demeaning insult and seems to show just what your feelings and opinions are for concerning the folks of Isaan. However if those words were used in a cut and paste context it reflects your total ignorance of the reality of the situation and confirms without a doubt the insulting manner and attitude that you seem to have for the Isaan folks

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

What a load of mindless nonsense.First of all the North East is now the most dynamic growth region in Thailand and although poverty exists there has been remarkable progress over the last twenty years.It's a question for discussion what are the causes of this new prosperity, but it's not really debatable that great progress has been made.As to politicians role it's first important to understand that in all democracies policies are formulated to attract electoral support, not the only consideration but still a very important one.In the North East for decades, despite the huge populatiuon, electors were essentially regarded as voting fodder and not taken seriously by the Bangkok establishment - poor ignorant peasants.Thaksin changed all that and that is why his support in the NE and North is so solid.He didn't adopt populist policies because he is a good man:he did it because he is (usually) an astute politician.The Democrats have followed in his footsteps in copying and in some cases enhancing policies designed to appeal to rural voters.

I agree it would be healthy if other political parties could strengthen their presence in the NE, but that means (in the case of the Democrats) detoxifying their brand.The next general election will make the position crystal clear.

I certainly can't speak for you, however I live in rural Isaan in a typical Thai village in Surin and believe you me the locals are far from happy with this current government and its shenanigans and dubious self enrichment scams schemes.

Certainly Thaksin did not adopt populist policies to encourage support for his personal party P.T.P. He bought it at 500 baht a go, many of the villagers are now realizing that the 500 baht they got has in reality cost them 5,000 baht in the payback Thaksin and his family and their brown nosing acolytes repayment scams schemes.

The facts are the voters are starting to see that the veneer of promised prosperity ''a chicken in every pot'' is in fact for Thaksin his family and their brown nosing acolytes not Mr. and Mrs. Somcahi the average Thai person.

Certainly those aforementioned folks are indeed getting a chicken in their pot, the problem being is that those chickens are coming from the farms stock and are not being replaced neither.

Just a brief question.

Do you actually have any daily contact with the villagers of Isaan and are you really in touch with what they think or is it mindless supposition induced by rose tinted glasses one must ?

Your choice of the words ''ignorant peasants'' is indeed a gross demeaning insult and seems to show just what your feelings and opinions are for concerning the folks of Isaan. However if those words were used in a cut and paste context it reflects your total ignorance of the reality of the situation and confirms without a doubt the insulting manner and attitude that you seem to have for the Isaan folks

I believe he used the term "ignorant peasants" in a reported speech sense - that was what the Bangkok politicians thought and how they treated them until Thaksin came along and at least pretended to take them seriously. In the context (perhaps you should try rereading it while suspending your anger), it seems unlikely he was expressing his own personal view of country folk.

• Like 1

Thailand is wanting to make a giant leap from having the State Railway of Thailand running a system that would be put to shame by anything that was running in the United Kingdom 120 years ago.

So from the metre gauge slow trains we have here now, to Chinese built HST and they by pass the 20th century.

As several have commented, if this vast sum was put to securing a standard gauge, efficient, safe and fast railway that carried both freight and passengers to many areas of the country, then, it might make some sense.

• Like 2

Thai Visa Citizens to the rescue I feel

Fellow brethren.. I beseech you to eat rice, rice and more rice.... yes yes I know its all old and full of fumigants and alike but if we as a group can collectively eat through this mountain of rice then we will stop a Chinese high speed train line from going ahead and as far as Im concerned I would consider ingestion of 20 kgs of suspect rice to be far less dangerous to ones health and indeed the general populace well being than a Chinese designed and built, Thai maintained high speed rail line...

Do your duty....

China has thousands of kilometers of high-speed rail that runs every day and has for years. They have had one major accident - that looks like it probably had corruption at its root. So on what basis do you doubt their ability to build a safe high-speed train in Thailand? (Meaning their ability as opposed to the Japanese or the French - not because it happens to be in Thailand)

Correction they have had one major incident that was bought to public attention ( because they quickly buried the derailed carriages) but many incidences where the high speed rail line is not as high speed as designed for due to track issues and quality concerns... substandard failsafe systems and copied OEM spare parts which dont have any quality check system or regulatory framework to support them like what we see in France / Japan.

Throw this plus their who cares about anyone else mindset into the room with senior Thai politicians and back room boys who will be wanting a brown paper bag and I think you have a nice recipe for a disaster in the making....

• Like 2

I believe he used the term "ignorant peasants" in a reported speech sense - that was what the Bangkok politicians thought and how they treated them until Thaksin came along and at least pretended to take them seriously. In the context (perhaps you should try rereading it while suspending your anger), it seems unlikely he was expressing his own personal view of country folk.

You believe,

Well many people believe they know what horse is going to win the 2-30 at Newmarket, The Kentucky Derby or Australia's Golden Slipper, they are indeed believers in great great fairy tales.

Now, can you really answer for the poster concerned or are you yet another poster blinded by Thaksins blatant lying and corruption and have no contact or knowledge of the worthy folk of Isaan?

If I had posted the comments I would have stated the words came from the cut and paste and were not in line my views on the people concerned.

Good manners and respect cost nothing but mean a great deal.

However that particular comment does not apply to Thaksin and his ilk whether supposedly coming from them or accorded to them.