window._taboola = window._taboola || []; _taboola.push({article:'auto'}); !function (e, f, u, i) { if (!document.getElementById(i)){ e.async = 1; e.src = u; e.id = i; f.parentNode.insertBefore(e, f); } }(document.createElement('script'), document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0], '//cdn.taboola.com/libtrc/aseannow/loader.js', 'tb_loader_script'); if(window.performance && typeof window.performance.mark == 'function') {window.performance.mark('tbl_ic');} Jump to content

England Vs Poland

angsta

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do pay for UKTV and have done since it started so I was able to watch the match anyway. I was just suggesting a possible option for others

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it a decent service?

I do pay for UKTV and have done since it started so I was able to watch the match anyway. I was just suggesting a possible option for others

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it a decent service?

I think so................providing you've got a decent PC/laptop with at least a dual core processor and at least two gig of ram, plus a stable internet speed of at least three meg.

On even a good a single core processor movement can occasionally be a bit 'jerky', although still watchable. Slow internet speeds will give the usual buffering.

But, assuming you have a newish PC etc and decent internet speeds, the picture quality is good and I think the service is well worth the 490 baht/month. You get 16 channels, including all the BBC/ITV channels, which you can watch live, watch on demand any programs transmitted at any time over the past seven days, and/or have the the option of recording any programs you want to, to view in the future.

Personally I usually watch on demand and I always record a few programs for when we go the the village. Then, while everybody's glued to channel 3 or 7 I've got my British TV on my laptop. And I watch the EPL via the AIS BPL app. Sorted.wai2.gif

I still use the free membership P to P sites such as TV Chaos but, for the sake of 490 baht per month, UKTV is so much more convenient.

• Like 2

Well done England...

10 games, 6 wins and not lost oneclap2.gif

Were going to Brazilclap2.gif

The worrying stat is that up until the last two games we'd only actually beaten Moldova and San Marino ....... and even though we've beaten Montenegro and Poland in the last week they are hardly top rank.

The plus side is at last an England team is playing football that is enjoyable to watch and the last time we did that was at Euro 96. And where did that breath of fresh air Andros come from...... the gods?

Well done England...

The worrying stat is that up until the last two games we'd only actually beaten Moldova and San Marino ....... and even though we've beaten Montenegro and Poland in the last week they are hardly top rank.

The plus side is at last an England team is playing football that is enjoyable to watch and the last time we did that was at Euro 96. And where did that breath of fresh air Andros come from...... the gods?

2 games do not make a summer...or something like that anyway.

Spain will be literally pi$$ing themselves.

Well done England...

I thought Leighton Baines was outstanding and I hope Hodgson starts to realise that he should be first pick ahead of Cole. I am very impressed with Townsend he looks like becoming the real deal.

Ohhhhhhhhhh get you, Spain have always been pretty decent. Ok they didn't qualify for the 1970 and 1974 world cups but that's really holding a grudge is it not?

This is the beauty of the England 'fan'. The teams sucks, they are rescued by some guy who couldn't get a game at Spurs last season and now Roy Hodgson is brave and the England team courageous. Look at the group. It was shocking. We should have walked it. We were polaying the long ball 3 games ago, in 2013?!? And the build up begins. Brave because he dropped James Milner? 555 amazing. The fact that Milner was in the side highlights everything that is wrong about the England football team. Danny Welbeck is a donkey who if he were at Villa for example would have been watching the game in his front room. Gerrard and Rooney are class, Lamps has been a decent servant. Baines will be back on the bench once Cashley Hole is fit.

• Like 1

Ohhhhhhhhhh get you, Spain have always been pretty decent. Ok they didn't qualify for the 1970 and 1974 world cups but that's really holding a grudge is it not?

This is the beauty of the England 'fan'. The teams sucks, they are rescued by some guy who couldn't get a game at Spurs last season and now Roy Hodgson is brave and the England team courageous. Look at the group. It was shocking. We should have walked it. We were polaying the long ball 3 games ago, in 2013?!? And the build up begins. Brave because he dropped James Milner? 555 amazing. The fact that Milner was in the side highlights everything that is wrong about the England football team. Danny Welbeck is a donkey who if he were at Villa for example would have been watching the game in his front room. Gerrard and Rooney are class, Lamps has been a decent servant. Baines will be back on the bench once Cashley Hole is fit.

laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

clap2.gif

oh we like the cut of this one's jib.

What are you talking about, holding a grudge? I'm not holding a grudge against, Spain, i love the way they play football, i'm just making the point that it wasn't until recently that they managed to drop the long time tag of being one of the biggest tournament underachievers, so if they are pissing themselves, just because a few England fans are daring to express a little happiness at having qualified, they should remember they too were crap once.

As for being brave, yes, relatively speaking, the way we set out, the team that we played, it was brave. Compare how we played those last two games with any of the games under the last three or four managers. That's the yardstick Roy is being measured by. Well it is for the realists.

As for Danny Welbeck being a donkey, yes he had a disappointing last game, but qualifying was more than that game, there were nine others, and from those, Welbeck was our second highest scorer behind Rooney, and he put in some very good performances too. Not as if Gerrard and Rooney, who you speak so highly of, have never put in a bad performance for England, is it?

Agreed, they didn't fulfill their potential at the big tournaments but at least they got to them. More importantly they always tried to play football hence they now have players who are comfortable with the ball and are able to keep possession and not just in a couple of games but every game. Spain could have 2 squads in the world cup such is their strength in depth.

I don't remember the long ball from the keeper onto the head of Andreos Carrolos very often from Spain in the last 25 years. We employed that same tactic 3 games ago. That was the most accurate pass between 2 England players in a game. Big hoof from the goalie onto the nut of the center forward. Thank God our groups sucks or we would have been in real trouble. Crap is playing like the 1987 Wimbledon or Cambridge United sides during internationals in 2013. Spain were never that. I think the jury is massively still out on England and Roy.

I won't compare Rooney and Gerrard with Welbeck again. They are world class footballers. Welbeck is the next in line of the 'I play for Man Utd so I make the England side' conveyor belt until the next one comes along and/or he falls over his feet again. He has the technique of a young Julian Dicks/Carlton Palmer. I can only assume that one decent chip he scored was done accidentally. He's had enough chances to score so I guess playing for Man Utd he has to manage to get at least a couple on target.

If you think that was brave management then our opinions on football are so far apart there probably is no point continuing this discussion. We were at home to a team ranked 65th in the world in a game WE HAD TO WIN TO QUALIFY FOR THE WORLD CUP. That's around the level of Scotland. James Milner is never the answer to that particular conundrum. Balls of steel Roy, balls of flippin steel.

• Like 1

If I was at Villa, I would rather be watching from my front room !

Edited by Patronus

Agreed, they didn't fulfill their potential at the big tournaments but at least they got to them. More importantly they always tried to play football hence they now have players who are comfortable with the ball and are able to keep possession and not just in a couple of games but every game. Spain could have 2 squads in the world cup such is their strength in depth.

I don't remember the long ball from the keeper onto the head of Andreos Carrolos very often from Spain in the last 25 years. We employed that same tactic 3 games ago. That was the most accurate pass between 2 England players in a game. Big hoof from the goalie onto the nut of the center forward. Thank God our groups sucks or we would have been in real trouble. Crap is playing like the 1987 Wimbledon or Cambridge United sides during internationals in 2013. Spain were never that. I think the jury is massively still out on England and Roy.

Prior to 2008, Spain's record at either the World Cup or the Euros was really no better or worse than ours. In the World Cup, they managed a few Quarter Finals, no Semis, and in the Euros, one Runner up and the rest Quarter Finals or worse. Apparently though all that failure and loss was ok for them, because it was all part of a carefully planned strategy to build up to the team they have today. rolleyes.gif

With regards style of play, winning cup competitions is all about playing to your strengths. It's about results, not performances. Ask Greece if you are in doubt about that. Bemoaning the fact that we don't try to play like a Brazil or a Spain, is just daft. We don't have those sorts of players, we don't play that sort of way in our country, and forcing our players to play that way, won't suddenly turn them all into Galatico lookalikes, it will instead most likely just make them look silly.

We play the way you want us to play, we get beat, and Roy is an idiot for trying to get players to play in a way they can't... we play the way we did, we top the group, concede only four goals, and Roy is an idiot for not playing the team with the sort of flair you demand. Deary me. I thought women were hard creatures to please.

• Like 2

This is truly amazing!

I'm no fan of Hodgson or watching the England team as regular posters will know.  I don't particularly like the football we have played in recent years, don't rate the manager or his tactical ability and don't see us as any realistic contenders yet, even though we win the required games, all it takes is a couple of posts from a few to bring out the vitriol.  

Like it or not, a manager makes decisions and over the last couple of games Hodgson mag

de his, got it right, the team played fine and got the job done.  Thats it.  Accept it because thats whats happened.

I don't really think they could have done much more than qualified as they were tasked to do could they?!!

Kinda sad really that the detractors can't atleast wait until their country of birth gets knocked out of the actual tournament to slag off their national team.  These are the so called football fans the tabloids exist and feed off.

I watched yer last match against Poland and you weren't bad at all....even better when Gerrard was able to be freed up to roam forward.

Its just an excuse for me to say....wasn't Townsend excellent once again? :D

• Like 2

Prior to 2008, Spain's record at either the World Cup or the Euros was really no better or worse than ours. In the World Cup, they managed a few Quarter Finals, no Semis, and in the Euros, one Runner up and the rest Quarter Finals or worse. Apparently though all that failure and loss was ok for them, because it was all part of a carefully planned strategy to build up to the team they have today. rolleyes.gif

With regards style of play, winning cup competitions is all about playing to your strengths. It's about results, not performances. Ask Greece if you are in doubt about that. Bemoaning the fact that we don't try to play like a Brazil or a Spain, is just daft. We don't have those sorts of players, we don't play that sort of way in our country, and forcing our players to play that way, won't suddenly turn them all into Galatico lookalikes, it will instead most likely just make them look silly.

We play the way you want us to play, we get beat, and Roy is an idiot for trying to get players to play in a way they can't... we play the way we did, we top the group, concede only four goals, and Roy is an idiot for not playing the team with the sort of flair you demand. Deary me. I thought women were hard creatures to please.

Not often i gain a new respect for a poster.....clap2.gif

Not often i gain a new respect for a poster.....clap2.gif

I agree...cracking post Mr Rix....

May I steal that for the next 8 months or so?

Arrrh bless them. Now the tabloids are trying to start a race row in the England dressing room!

Pitiful.

it's disgraceful this. a new low for english football 'journalists'. it's like they're practising for next summer when they go out of their way to undermine the squad as usual. not to mention the impact this has on real racism incidents.

• Like 1

Arrrh bless them. Now the tabloids are trying to start a race row in the England dressing room!

Pitiful.

it's disgraceful this. a new low for english football 'journalists'. it's like they're practising for next summer when they go out of their way to undermine the squad as usual. not to mention the impact this has on real racism incidents.

Totally agree with that. Of course the worrying thing here, as Joey Barton pointed out yesterday, is that one of the players must have leaked the details of this private team talk to the press. They really could do without a 'snake' in the dressing room. I hope the culprit is identified and crossed off the list for Brazil, regardless of who it is.

Pitiful.

Totally agree with that. Of course the worrying thing here, as Joey Barton pointed out yesterday, is that one of the players must have leaked the details of this private team talk to the press. They really could do without a 'snake' in the dressing room. I hope the culprit is identified and crossed off the list for Brazil, regardless of who it is.

Not necessarily a player, could be one of the coaching staff, but i totally agree with what you say.

Pitiful.

Not necessarily a player, could be one of the coaching staff, but i totally agree with what you say.

Presumably RH appointed his own coaching staff, who would be people close to him who he trusts. I think it would be extremely unlikely that one of them would be so disloyal as to do this, knowing what the repercussions would be.

Presumably RH appointed his own coaching staff, who would be people close to him who he trusts. I think it would be extremely unlikely that one of them would be so disloyal as to do this, knowing what the repercussions would be.

it could also be accidental though. one player thought it was a weird half-time team talk to give - which let's be honest, it is very, very, very weird - and happened to mention it to a clubmate or his agent or something. then word's out and someone not directly linked to the england squad could have leaked it to a journo. chinese whispers (not racist either btw). that some journo then thought this was remotely newsworthy is hugely irresponsible.

i think there's another concern though, which is that roy felt the need to spend five minutes talking about NASA and space monkeys when what he meant to say was "lads, townsend's roasting their full-back, get the ball to him quickly and regularly".

Edited by StevieH
  • Like 1

it could also be accidental though. one player thought it was a weird half-time team talk to give - which let's be honest, it is very, very, very weird - and happened to mention it to a clubmate or his agent or something. then word's out and someone not directly linked to the england squad could have leaked it to a journo. chinese whispers (not racist either btw). that some journo then thought this was remotely newsworthy is hugely irresponsible.

i think there's another concern though, which is that roy felt the need to spend five minutes talking about NASA and space monkeys when what he meant to say was "lads, townsend's roasting their full-back, get the ball to him quickly and regularly".

That would be my guess too. Whoever mentioned it, did so without malice, and purely because they thought it was a bit strange, not because they thought it had racial undertones.

As for what the analogy that Roy made says about him, i think not a lot, besides perhaps he is a bit less conventional than he is made out to be. Maybe he'd just been listening to a bit of Space Oddity on the way to the grounds and felt inspired by Major Tom.

Perhaps if it had been said in French or Italian, with a lot of grand arm waving and gesticulation, it might have come across a bit more profound and meaningful.

That would be my guess too. Whoever mentioned it, did so without malice, and purely because they thought it was a bit strange, not because they thought it had racial undertones.

As for what the analogy that Roy made says about him, i think not a lot, besides perhaps he is a bit less conventional than he is made out to be. Maybe he'd just been listening to a bit of Space Oddity on the way to the grounds and felt inspired by Major Tom.

Perhaps if it had been said in French or Italian, with a lot of grand arm waving and gesticulation, it might have come across a bit more profound and meaningful.

"Old guy" out of the culture loop humor. Not racist I would imagine in any way, but just not clued in. The term "monkey" was used by the legendary <deleted> Howard Cosell when describing the exploits of a black NFL player, maybe 30 years ago. He paid dearly for it and though he was many things, I doubt Cosell was a racist. Its a term you want to eliminate from your vocabulary if you are a prudent manager. I'm in no way supporting the tabloids take on this, and we all know they have the mentality of a herd of brain damaged, ravenous chimpanzees. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1