Thailand's left-hand traffic 'impedes integration'

webfact

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The really cool thing is: the right hand lane on the 4 lane roads is the 'fast' lane. That is the lane where the U-turns are. Most of the U-turn lanes are not long enough for the number of cars using them and many do not have a real lane, just a wider area. I think it is why I see more 'white outlines' on the road in these places than anywhere else. Instead of changing which "side" of the road is driven on, (it is actually ambidextrous - only the steering wheel is different) just change the fast lane to the left.

biggrin.png WOW. I think the problem is that they drive on any side of the road they decide is easiest at the time , and get away with it ...biggrin.png

People who understand laws n rules of motoring adapt to driving on the left or right when they travel .. smile.png ..

Its tough enough for Thais to ride a bike or a car. A drastic change will kill off many people.

There is one solution to MANY of Thailands problems and that is just to get the Police to do their JOB.

If they cant do it, sack the area chief and continue doing sackings until they get a area chief in that can get his police staff to do their job.

It really is that simple... !

Well this is what you get for having the French instead of the British as colonial powers. If the Brits had colonised all of SE Asia instead of just Malaya and Singapore all would be driving on the correct side of the road! Please don't bring up the mere details of Myanmar (British colony but drive on the right, and Indonesia (Dutch colony - but drive on the left). Actually the Brits controlled some of Indonesia for a while - before giving it back to the Dutch - maybe just long enough to institute driving on the correct side of the road.

Actually the Japanese hava had a lot of influence on which side of the road these countries rive, and Burma was on the left until the 70s.

Where does this minister get the idea that the engine has to be changed just because you drive on the other side of the road? What a strange idea, I don't think it would matter which side of the road Thais drove on, there would still be drivers driving on the wrong side of the road.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sweden 1967 - the first day after changing driving from the left to the right! Imagine that x 1,000,000 in Thailand!

When Sweden changed over many predicted chaos. It was done overnight on a weekend. Despite the dire predictions the number of accidents FELL dramatically, and then as they got used to driving on the 'other' side the accident rate rose to the same level as it was before the change. There again Sweden (together with the UK) is the safest place in the world to drive a car. I cannot imagine a similar course of events in Thailand.

Sweden 1967 - the first day after changing driving from the left to the right! Imagine that x 1,000,000 in Thailand!

the population of Sweden was about 7 to 8 million then - the population of Thailand is nearer 70 million - then take into account the state of the roads and standard of driving............

Thailand obviously had bigger problems that the side of the road they drive on. Driving on the left is not an impediment. However, not enforcing the traffic laws and having an underpaid, under supplied an under educated police force can be.

When Sweden changed over many predicted chaos. It was done overnight on a weekend. Despite the dire predictions the number of accidents FELL dramatically, and then as they got used to driving on the 'other' side the accident rate rose to the same level as it was before the change. There again Sweden (together with the UK) is the safest place in the world to drive a car. I cannot imagine a similar course of events in Thailand.

Most cars in Sweden were already LH DRIVE before the changeover......... also with the strict govt enforcement and driver education and tiny population the changeover wasn't that dramatic. It is also likely that the driving over the next few months was particularly careful. Remember also that most Europeans are used to driving in neighbouring countries and this for the Swedes meant driving on the other side of the road - as it does for the Irish and British. I for one know very few Thais with experience of driving abroad on ay side of the road.

Well, one aspect of this is that within 6 months, 40-50% of the drive-able population will have been permanently removed, with an even greater percentage of those on motorbikes, thereby making the roads less congested, and safer, for the rest of us.whistling.gif

Spite & malice take their toll, again...they reacted against all things French after the Frogs stationed a gunboat next to the Grand Palace while taking most of Laos & Cambodia from them (Paknam, aka Samut Prakan, Incident, 1893)...never got over that...comes back to haunt them. ;-} rap. giggle.gif

Paknam Incident 1893

The French also sent the Thai fleet to the bottom off Ko Chang in January 1941!

• Like 1

I think the word "Engine" should read drive unit of Artics. Why I don't know as UK trucks drive in Europe without any problem.

Just to be pedantic, wink.png the N.American usage is rig, big rig,semi trailer or semi (among others).

Artics might make people think of something the Inuit use.

Are you suggesting that others change to American English to facilitate integration? I believe they are known as prime movers!

No suggestion of change, just joking. Artics or Articulated Trucks is the common use in UK.

Tractor or tractor trailer unit is also common.

A prime mover generally refers to the diesel engine in a locomotive in N.America. Usually EMD, GE or Alco.

Does he suggest that the trains drive on the other side also?

Trains also have problems staying on the right track, a bit like the "four wheeled" variety on the roads.

Left side, right side it's all a bit of a nonsense, even the best of the Thai drivers are far behind the rest of the world in respects to road competence & safety.

If the government decide to switch lanes you probably wouldn't notice any change outside on the asphalt, or should I say concrete!!

So what about all the Thais that have bought cars for left hand driving only a few million people shall have to get used to driving left cars on the other side of the road or buy a new car

Forget the neighbours what about he thai people that would have to get used to it

They are already confused as how to drive and most don't even know which is left and right anyway just to add to the chaos

I am sure that people in transit would love to have the accident rate go up by driving into confused Thais

Every single street sign would have to be changed and I doubt that would happen

High ways

My god what is next banning guns in America ?

• Like 1

I believe this movement comes from China. When the Chiang Kong bridge opens it is expected that between 300-500, 18 wheel trucks will cross the bridge each 24 hours. The Chinese trailers are headed to Laem Chabang to ship their goods from Yunnan and surrounding provinces. Changing to engines that drive on the other side is very expensive for the Chinese. This will further be compounded when the 1 million staff of Chinese are occupying the manufacturing facility in Laos across from the Golden Triangle. Thailand is about to allow China free visas and it is the largest source of tourism. God only know what the Chinese will get in the future.

The reason for positioning the driver on the side nearest the centre of the road is that it is much safer when that driver encounters an obstacle or slow moving vehicle to just move a little more towards the centre to be able to see around the obstacle. If his driving position is towards the kerbside, then he has to move the whole width of his vehicle beyond the obstruction to be able to see ahead - a dangerous manoeuvre when there is two-way traffic.

As pointed out already, there are plenty of RHD British trucks plying the highways of Europe, but for the driver of a truck in his elevated position the drawback of being on the kerbside does not apply, since unless he has another high vehicle in front of him, his view ahead is unimpeded. So the suggestion that Chinese trucks will have a problem on entering Thailand is, in fact, unfounded.

They did of course change sides in Sweden, in 1967. There were fewer cars on the road in those days, however, and the Swedes anyway would have been far more disciplined drivers than Thais, so it was feasible. It was nevertheless a massive operation, with all the road signs and traffic lights having to be changed, not to mention the purchasing of 1000 buses with doors on the other side, and converting a further 8000 buses to have doors both sides.

http://www.examiner.com/article/sweden-finally-began-driving-on-the-right-side-of-the-road-1967

Apparently 60% of the world's population live in countries that drive on the right, and about 70% of the world's total road distance carries traffic on the right.

Left/right, this ministers is thinking along the right tracks.

Maybe we should try it with the trains 1st, swop them over, and perhaps start a ministerial inquiry on what can be done to ensue the single track lines dont get out of whack and keep to the left.

Then this experience can be applied to the roads so that only 2.5m people will die when the change over on the roads occurs.

As said above, the idea of tellikng 60 million Thais that steering wheels are suddenly on the wrong side......

And what about the RHD vehicles produced in Thailand - only part go to Thailand the rest are exported - and integrated system no less!

Suddenly producing less won't be popular with the motor trade......someone needs a good kick up the arse for this one!

I'm sure this must have been said in this thread already, but, Thailand's failure to integrate (with anyone) has nothing to do with which side of the road they drive on.

It is caused because the country is controlled by total numpties like the one making this announcement, and the millions of sheeple that have been brainwashed into believing them.

End of.

I've been working here in the defense industry off & on for the past 14 years.........Currently working with an agency.

They are complete idiots. No matter what I say, to try and help them, they just grin at me & continue to do it the Thai way.

They hire me because I'm an expert, to teach them, and then ignore everything I say.

I've tried to organize safety meetings.........it goes in one ear and out the other.

One pr1ck had the gall to tell me "Hahaha! This is Thailand!"

Fair enough. It is Thailand.

I've also been informed by upper management to never act angry.

================

I love living in Thailand, but working here is for the birds!!!!!

I can't get anything done on any kind of schedule. Even my Thai boss is perpetually late to any kind of meeting.

It gets to be absolutely ludicrous.

I didn't think that thai drivers know what side of the road they are supposed to be on. There is not one day that I do not see a car, truck or motorbike driving on the wrong side of the road.

No Yooper you misunderstand! In Thailand the "wrong" side of the road IS the "right" side of the road...blink.png