Thailand's left-hand traffic 'impedes integration'

webfact

Clearly this is the fault of surrounding countries who have failed to follow Thailand's lead, but I suggest Thailand graciously agree to change over and save everyone else the expense.

Lorries should change first, and if that is a success cars could begin driving on the right a month or so later.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great excuse to start the bidding process for replacing every bus and single sided entry van in the country, as they would in their current form be opening their doors onto the traffic lane rather than the kerbside

Great excuse to start the bidding process for replacing every bus and single sided entry van in the country, as they would in their current form be opening their doors onto the traffic lane rather than the kerbside

No Chance! Can you imagine the costs involves - road layouts - signage etc - the fast majority of cars with steering wheels on wrong side -road accidents would go through the roof. It will never happen.

Interesting link - Note on the map the UK compared to the rest of Europe - wonder why they have never changed :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

There has been talk of Thailand changing for a while now. It would be expensive and take time. Cambodia did it.

What is silly is not letting bikes that are 250cc and larger traveling on expressways.

Cambodia may have done it, but then Cambodia is far behind Thailand, as is Laos vis a vis traffic and vehicle population etc. The Burmese military ordered the change to snub their former colonial masters, meanwhile having thousands of old RH drive cars on their roads.

The main impact would be the number of freight trucks that may be crossing the border. But the idea of changing this country from RH drive to LH drive is total madness. And from some politicians (and senior policemen) that is the norm.

also interesting

Thailand[edit]

Thailand is one of the few countries outside of Commonwealth of Nations (along with Japan) to drive on the left. It is an unusual case of a LHT country almost totally surrounded by RHT neighbours. LHT in Thailand dates back to its diplomatic relations with Britain since 1826 where the British used Thailand as a shortcut to India. Thailand shares long borders with Burma, Laos, and Cambodia—all of which drive on the right, whereas the border with left-driving Malaysia is a short stretch. Thailand allows both RHD and LHD vehicles on its roads.

There has been talk of Thailand changing for a while now. It would be expensive and take time. Cambodia did it.

What is silly is not letting bikes that are 250cc and larger traveling on expressways.

Cambodia may have done it, but then Cambodia is far behind Thailand, as is Laos vis a vis traffic and vehicle population etc. The Burmese military ordered the change to snub their former colonial masters, meanwhile having thousands of old RH drive cars on their roads.

The main impact would be the number of freight trucks that may be crossing the border. But the idea of changing this country from RH drive to LH drive is total madness. And from some politicians (and senior policemen) that is the norm.

This maybe a daft suggestion,and maybe technically not feasible but as you know dual control cars are availble used to train leaner drivers, If Thailand is so intent on this couldnt they have dual controls in their trucks instead changing the side of the road they drive on...or am I missing something obvious as to why this wouldnt work ?

I think the word "Engine" should read drive unit of Artics. Why I don't know as UK trucks drive in Europe without any problem.

Just to be pedantic, wink.png the N.American usage is rig, big rig,semi trailer or semi (among others).

Artics might make people think of something the Inuit use.

This has no relation to economic integration. If I recall, there are several other ASEAN countries Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore who drive on the "right side". So this is the usual typical total nonsense from a government buffoon.

• Like 1

I doubt that people from Australia or Japan will be driving to this part of the world.

It does make a difference on which side your neighbors drive though, if you plan on doing a lot of trade.

The UK and Europe seem to manage it OK?

• Like 1

Please explain to me why they have to change the engine as all are the same so this is another load of crap reporting

The Uk has has had this problem for year but they manage very well sending good to Europe its just another way where by people in government can make more money tho kick backs

The neighbouring countries which drive on the right -Myanmar, Laos and cambodia - combined by my estimate would have fewer cars and trucks in total than just Thailand alone. So I can't see how converting all of the nation's 20 million cars, buses and trucks as well as redesigning roads and changing signs to driving on the right is cheaper than the "logistic costs" caused when thai truckers drive to those economic powerhouses of Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar?

Wouldn't it be cheaper if thailand just paid for those 3 countries to drive on the left?

in Europe not so long ago one of nordic countries still drove on the left. I cant remember when but they changed and all traffic had o stop for 1 hour at if I recall 2 am. It worked fine. Uk still drives on the left but being an island it does not seem to cause any real problems. I used to travel 3-4 times a year by car to continent from UK and back and never and still dont have a problem switching from one ot the other. I do however think since Thailand is connected by land it would be best for Thailand to change from left to the right./ One problem however is I think if I recall right (pun intended) the nordic country which drove on left had mostly right hand drive cars which is not the case in Thailand. Given Thais really bad driving it could cause huge increase in accidents.

jee cop on Mr. Minister your people have problems driving on the left as it is and when you look at the amount of serious accidents you already have just imagine how much more there would be if you implemented these changes. But saying that it would create allot of business for panel beaters etc.

However, the deputy prime minister significantly noted that Thailand is quite ‘uncompetitive’ in becoming regional logistic centre, as the nation drives on left hand traffic’

Singapore seems to cope quite well and they ARE the regional logistics center, it seems to Deputy PM has forgotten the other reasons Thailand has obstacles in its way, namely corrupt business practices, repressive customs & excise polices, lack of proficiency in the international language of commerce and trade, ie English, repressive business formation polices for foreign companies etc

Don't discount the impact of the Thai's overwhelming superiority complex that is fueled by massive insecurity and colossal ignorance.

Don't even mention their nationalism.

Now let me get this straight, Burma, Laos, the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam, drive on the right. They have a total population of about 278 million, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Brunei drive on the left and have a population of about 355 million, and then of course next to Burma is India with a population of over 1 billion. Now who should switch their driving side? Especially since there are relatively very few cars in Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Another hare-brained idea on the way to workcoffee1.gif

...someone got to stop these people!

btw Burma drives on the left as does Malaysia...

"btw Burma drives on the left as does Malaysia."

Unfortunately, not true.

Burma, once a British colony, used to drive on the left, the same as India, Bangladesh & Thailand. But, the army boys decided they would change all that nonsense, and in true junta style, they ordered all driving to be on the right, even though, at the time there were a large number of vehicles with steering on the right.

This whole debate is just in answer to yet another crackpot idea from a politician with more money than brains.

I think the word "Engine" should read drive unit of Artics. Why I don't know as UK trucks drive in Europe without any problem.

Just to be pedantic, wink.png the N.American usage is rig, big rig,semi trailer or semi (among others).

In the UK the bit that houses the cabin, all the controls and the engine is, or was when I lived there, called a tractor. Unhooking and replacing the tractor of articulated vehicles at the border should be no problem. A Chinese or Laotian tractor could deliver the trailer to the border and then a Thai tractor take over. Reverse procedure going the other way of course. All it takes is for transport companies to get into bed with a foreign (alien??) partner.

Mounting a horse is always on the left. This leaves the right arm and hand free to draw a sword, same goes for drawing a six shooter. Keeping to the left on a road or trail means that after mounting one can ride off without having to turn around. That's the historical reason. Experiments and tests have shown that in an 'oh my Christ' situation the majority of drivers veer to the left. Driving on the left makes this a less hazardous practice.

Probably the problems are others, hehe. I did recently pay the taxes for a packet comming from USA. They charge me 33% of taxes. I was scared.....it's incredible. I thought they was wrong, so I check on the web of the government to see what they calculate and how. I located a sample of how to calculate:

http://www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Sample/Sample.jsp?menuNme=Sample

After looking the sample, i decided to close my mouth and do not claim so much, because as the web said....can be much worst. sigh....

In the UK the bit that houses the cabin, all the controls and the engine is, or was when I lived there, called a tractor. Unhooking and replacing the tractor of articulated vehicles at the border should be no problem. A Chinese or Laotian tractor could deliver the trailer to the border and then a Thai tractor take over. Reverse procedure going the other way of course. All it takes is for transport companies to get into bed with a foreign (alien??) partner.

Mounting a horse is always on the left. This leaves the right arm and hand free to draw a sword, same goes for drawing a six shooter. Keeping to the left on a road or trail means that after mounting one can ride off without having to turn around. That's the historical reason. Experiments and tests have shown that in an 'oh my Christ' situation the majority of drivers veer to the left. Driving on the left makes this a less hazardous practice.

"Unhooking and replacing the tractor of articulated vehicles at the border should be no problem. A Chinese or Laotian tractor could deliver the trailer to the border and then a Thai tractor take over. Reverse procedure going the other way of course. All it takes is for transport companies to get into bed with a foreign (alien??) partner. "

Unfortunately, for the minister in question, your post makes far too much sense.rolleyes.gif

Another hare-brained idea on the way to workcoffee1.gif

...someone got to stop these people!

btw Burma drives on the left as does Malaysia...

Burma drives on the right but most of their cars are RHD so drivers must carry a passenger who can look out for oncoming traffic. Seems like people in power in Burma and Thailand have much in common.

They drive on the left here in Thailand? I did wonder.

I do think they should change, but suggest it to be a gradual process, starting with the big trucks and buses. That way the Thais would have the time they need to get used to it and if it doesn't work they can change back, only necessitating the truck drivers to retrain.

Excellent scheme, who said the Thai government are not in touch?

No, no, no. It has to be done all in one go and everyone needs to trade in their cars, trucks, buses (motor bikes?) in for left hand drive vehicles and the effective date should be 1 April. I think this Guy must be a relative to the Policeman who wanted to ban all cars over 10 years old from BKK, then had to backtrack. No doubt he has a University Degree (in something), but there again I have met a few educated idiots in my time. Unbelievable!wai.gif

What a stupid nonsense.

First, it it the way Thai use the road.

Second, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia also drive on the left.

Third, the cost of eventual change is huge, and will be compounded by the Thai "drivers" who will not be able to switch their thinking to driving on the right.

For the ministers information, the way people drive in Asia, left or right, it is chaos.

Why?

No self discipline, no patience, no suitable driving schooling, and mostly......FACE

• Like 1