Thailand's left-hand traffic 'impedes integration'

webfact

I'm sure this must have been said in this thread already, but, Thailand's failure to integrate (with anyone) has nothing to do with which side of the road they drive on.

It is caused because the country is controlled by total numpties like the one making this announcement, and the millions of sheeple that have been brainwashed into believing them.

End of.

I've been working here in the defense industry off & on for the past 14 years.........Currently working with an agency.

They are complete idiots. No matter what I say, to try and help them, they just grin at me & continue to do it the Thai way.

They hire me because I'm an expert, to teach them, and then ignore everything I say.

I've tried to organize safety meetings.........it goes in one ear and out the other.

One pr1ck had the gall to tell me "Hahaha! This is Thailand!"

Fair enough. It is Thailand.

I've also been informed by upper management to never act angry.

================

I love living in Thailand, but working here is for the birds!!!!!

I can't get anything done on any kind of schedule. Even my Thai boss is perpetually late to any kind of meeting.

It gets to be absolutely ludicrous.

After 14 years and it still bothers you? The money must be good for you to endure this torture.

Go with the flow, remember you are living in the land of pushing water downriver with boat propellers.

Take the cash and smile every day.

Good luck. Now about those birds.............smile.png

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think changing lanes would be a good idea. I don't believe there's a need to change steering wheels to the other side of the car as others have suggested. Plenty of people in America have cars with right-side steering wheels and most of the Mail Delivery trucks are on the right hand side, too. I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on. I think people should give Thai folks more credit than they're giving them. A year of training and public announcements leading up to the launch date should be enough to get everyone ready. Just saying!

I think changing lanes would be a good idea. I don't believe there's a need to change steering wheels to the other side of the car as others have suggested. Plenty of people in America have cars with right-side steering wheels and most of the Mail Delivery trucks are on the right hand side, too. I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on. I think people should give Thai folks more credit than they're giving them. A year of training and public announcements leading up to the launch date should be enough to get everyone ready. Just saying!

you appear to contradict yourself...

"I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on." - so why bother changing????

The three most advanced nations in ASEAN..... Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia all drive on the correct side of the road whilst the rest drive on the wrong side so why would Thailand want to join the lower ranks? smile.png

I don't think it has anything to do with the level of advancement. There isn't much commercial road traffic between Malaysia and Thailand and even less with Singapore. I don't think anyone could drive from Brunei to Thailand. Between Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos there is a lot of road traffic.

I am waiting for someone to come up with a convertible car where the controls can be on either side!

The three most advanced nations in ASEAN..... Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia all drive on the correct side of the road whilst the rest drive on the wrong side so why would Thailand want to join the lower ranks? smile.png

I don't think it has anything to do with the level of advancement. There isn't much commercial road traffic between Malaysia and Thailand and even less with Singapore. I don't think anyone could drive from Brunei to Thailand. Between Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos there is a lot of road traffic.

I am waiting for someone to come up with a convertible car where the controls can be on either side!

just look at the amount of traffic going from and to Uk to Europe - there is NO ISSUE!

might also point out that Malaysia was (maybe still is) the biggest supplier of tourists to Thailand - and I see many Malasian reg cars and bikes. I wwould imagine that in =reality trade is pretty big - certainly the supermarkets are full of stuff made in Malaysia...........

Edited by wilcopops

I'm sure this must have been said in this thread already, but, Thailand's failure to integrate (with anyone) has nothing to do with which side of the road they drive on.

It is caused because the country is controlled by total numpties like the one making this announcement, and the millions of sheeple that have been brainwashed into believing them.

End of.

I've been working here in the defense industry off & on for the past 14 years.........Currently working with an agency.

They are complete idiots. No matter what I say, to try and help them, they just grin at me & continue to do it the Thai way.

They hire me because I'm an expert, to teach them, and then ignore everything I say.

I've tried to organize safety meetings.........it goes in one ear and out the other.

================

I can't get anything done on any kind of schedule. Even my Thai boss is perpetually late to any kind of meeting.

After 14 years and it still bothers you? The money must be good for you to endure this torture.

Go with the flow, remember you are living in the land of pushing water downriver with boat propellers.

You are correct my friend.

I do enjoy the country as much as I can. I just find Thai folks to be rather nice overall, but extremely difficult to work with.

I have driven down the wrong side of the road back in Florida though! I actually ran somebody off the road once after a 26 hour trip to get back home!

I was jet-lagged (yet sober) out the wazoo & thought the other driver had a death wish.........It was ME that was wrong!

Changing which side of the road they drive on here, should start with.........I won't even address that topic as it would take them 50 years to do it & 50 years for me to explain it.

I guess my point is, TIT..........My bitching point is, they hire a farang to show them how to do a job to farang standards, & then laugh about it.

Simple stuff really. Simple organization. "HAHAHAHA This is Thailand" is what I get in return.

I really don't need this gig I'm working now, it's just something I'm good at & somewhat enjoy doing.

I'm probably going to tell them to stuff it at the end of this year & go back to being bored......Better than being frustrated.

as it costs investors extra logistic expenses for having to change the car engines when crossing the border.

Obviously the guy knows what he is talking about, makes a lot of sense to change the cars engine! after all a left handed engine works different to a right handed engine, it turns in the opposite direction!!!!!

Dous that mean we would have 4 reverse gears and one foreward---------------- cant see that that is going to help??????????clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

as it costs investors extra logistic expenses for having to change the car engines when crossing the border.

Obviously the guy knows what he is talking about, makes a lot of sense to change the cars engine! after all a left handed engine works different to a right handed engine, it turns in the opposite direction!!!!!

Dous that mean we would have 4 reverse gears and one foreward---------------- cant see that that is going to help??????????clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The bone-head was probably talking about the steering system, which is quite a bear to change.

Ever notice how a right-hand drive car in Thailand has half the leg room of the left hand seat?

Largest markets are for left hand drive, so the left sides have larger leg room (for clutches & brakes etc)........Just a thought. Maybe it is right, maybe it is wrong.

Actually, you're all wrong. Thailand has an equal mixture of left and right hand driving. On single carriageway roads they drive mostly on the left and overtake on the right. Mostly. But once they hit the expressway they all cram out into the farthest right lane and then overtake on the left. That's why we see an accident every other week where someone runs his pickup into the back of a lorry parked on the hard shoulder.

• Like 1

you appear to contradict yourself...

"I drive in both countries and it's no problem remembering what side to drive on." - so why bother changing????

My point is that once you start driving on the right side of the road, you will not forget. Even your average Red-Plate-Lunatic will remember that after a couple of days. Why bother changing? Better integration into ASEAN for starters. Changing sides would show that Thailand is in-it-to-win-it! Gooooo! Thailand!

• Like 1

Maybe they should look to Europe for an example of how it is done, currently there are 28 member states of the EU, how many drive on the same side as Thailand? Well, only four European countries continue to drive on the left: Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and the United Kingdom. Does that cause a problem, not sure about that.

The countries you mentioned are all islands, so maybe that's why it works. I think the issue has to do with transcontinental driving. Even though China isn't part of ASEAN, they will eventually have a lot of trucks coming this way and they'll transit other ASEAN member counties to get here.

• Like 1

just look at the amount of traffic going from and to Uk to Europe - there is NO ISSUE!

might also point out that Malaysia was (maybe still is) the biggest supplier of tourists to Thailand - and I see many Malasian reg cars and bikes. I wwould imagine that in =reality trade is pretty big - certainly the supermarkets are full of stuff made in Malaysia...........

Yes, but people in the UK and Europe know how to drive....that is THE ISSUE, IMO.

Maybe they should look to Europe for an example of how it is done, currently there are 28 member states of the EU, how many drive on the same side as Thailand? Well, only four European countries continue to drive on the left: Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and the United Kingdom. Does that cause a problem, not sure about that.

The countries you mentioned are all islands, so maybe that's why it works. I think the issue has to do with transcontinental driving. Even though China isn't part of ASEAN, they will eventually have a lot of trucks coming this way and they'll transit other ASEAN member counties to get here.

As I've said several times - if you see the amount of raod traffic BOTH WAYS between RHD and LHD countries in Europe, you'd know there is absolutely no issue.

• Like 1

I may be more inclined to accept the point of these arguments if the two ASEAN member neighbors to the South did not also drive on the wrong side of the road. However, that is not my main concern.

You will remember Sweden switched from the wrong to the right side of the road several years ago--the Swedes heavily advertised the switchover for a couple of months beforehand, then at midnight one night, they made the switch. A few accidents were reported, but not many, and the switchover was made.

Let's suppose the powers that be in Thailand decide to switch driving to the right side of the road--how many, well, you fill in the blanks?

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Ah does that mean that they will have 5 reverse gears & 1 forward?

jb1

Sorry biplanebluey didn't see your post.

Edited by jimbeam1

End of.

================

I understand where he is coming from. I love my wife dearly but every once in a while I will say some thing and she will say I Thai as though that was an excuse for stupidity.

• Like 1

I doubt that people from Australia or Japan will be driving to this part of the world.

It does make a difference on which side your neighbors drive though, if you plan on doing a lot of trade.

They export a hell of a lot of cars to Australia (which incidently are still cheaper in Aust) and if the are going to have to make special motors for Burma and Laos then they will have to make special Thai ones for Australia/New Zealand also. Actually I believe that some of the Toyota's like the camery are developed and designed in Australia, they may have to run their ideas past the aussies first.

Special motors that is just silly.

Edited by chooka

You could always buy a McLaren F1. The driver's position is central. thumbsup.gif

I may be more inclined to accept the point of these arguments if the two ASEAN member neighbors to the South did not also drive on the wrong side of the road. However, that is not my main concern.

You will remember Sweden switched from the wrong to the right side of the road several years ago--the Swedes heavily advertised the switchover for a couple of months beforehand, then at midnight one night, they made the switch. A few accidents were reported, but not many, and the switchover was made.

Let's suppose the powers that be in Thailand decide to switch driving to the right side of the road--how many, well, you fill in the blanks?

I'm from the USA. Born in Orlando Florida, so we drove on the right hand side of the road. I either take a taxi or have my wife drive from point A to B in LOS.

It would just make matters 1,000 times worse in Thailand if they changed the rules (one would need a large imagination to even THINK they have rules).

They can just somewhat slightly follow the rules as they are.

===============

I was WALKING I don't drive here..........to Top's Supermarket last weekend. It's maybe a mile or so away.....Good exercise.

HOT out so I took a break at a bus stop on Rakhamhaeng Road.

A cement truck came screaming by............He had clearly just been in an accident as his front left fender was caved in & rubbing his front left tire.

A rather nice-looking Thai Lady was at the bus stop also.

She was as flabbergasted as I was.

We looked at each other & exchanged <deleted> looks.

Presumably somebody has already pointed out that 'change the car engines' must refer to changing the LHD cabs that pull the trailers up to the border to RHD ones once over it (i.e. that haulage companies currently have to buy two cabs for each trailer).

I believe this movement comes from China. When the Chiang Kong bridge opens it is expected that between 300-500, 18 wheel trucks will cross the bridge each 24 hours. The Chinese trailers are headed to Laem Chabang to ship their goods from Yunnan and surrounding provinces. Changing to engines that drive on the other side is very expensive for the Chinese. This will further be compounded when the 1 million staff of Chinese are occupying the manufacturing facility in Laos across from the Golden Triangle. Thailand is about to allow China free visas and it is the largest source of tourism. God only know what the Chinese will get in the future.

The reason for positioning the driver on the side nearest the centre of the road is that it is much safer when that driver encounters an obstacle or slow moving vehicle to just move a little more towards the centre to be able to see around the obstacle. If his driving position is towards the kerbside, then he has to move the whole width of his vehicle beyond the obstruction to be able to see ahead - a dangerous manoeuvre when there is two-way traffic.

As pointed out already, there are plenty of RHD British trucks plying the highways of Europe, but for the driver of a truck in his elevated position the drawback of being on the kerbside does not apply, since unless he has another high vehicle in front of him, his view ahead is unimpeded. So the suggestion that Chinese trucks will have a problem on entering Thailand is, in fact, unfounded.

They did of course change sides in Sweden, in 1967. There were fewer cars on the road in those days, however, and the Swedes anyway would have been far more disciplined drivers than Thais, so it was feasible. It was nevertheless a massive operation, with all the road signs and traffic lights having to be changed, not to mention the purchasing of 1000 buses with doors on the other side, and converting a further 8000 buses to have doors both sides.

http://www.examiner.com/article/sweden-finally-began-driving-on-the-right-side-of-the-road-1967

Apparently 60% of the world's population live in countries that drive on the right, and about 70% of the world's total road distance carries traffic on the right.

If the truck drivers are skilled long distance drivers they should be able to drive anywhere in almost any terrain

Anyway this would be a good opportunity for the Chinese to have to pass the rains over to thai truck drivers at the border. Would create more employment for Thais even though in all fairness a skilled china man might be less dangerous driving on his left hand side than a thai

Could U imagine how much this is going to open us the drug trade and people trafficking with lorries driving all through Asia and SE ASIA

Shall be a crime network nightmare well it's the future

new times means new crimes

More place to raid means more trade

Longer roads the further cargo goes

More jobs makes more shops

More shoppes mean more money

More money means more honey

More honey mean more honey

Which mean Busines is great as long a you have freight

Which means for us boys we can have more Mia nois

Sweden did the same thing, at 4:30pm Sept 3rd 1967 they swapped the side of the street they were driving on. They did it for the exact same reason; to match sides with their neighbors. It's remained this way ever since. Were they stupid as well, or was it a good idea?

• Like 2

Why not get everybody to drive in reverse for a week, then they become accustomed to driving on the right. When the switch over occurs, then the population will already be use to driving on the right. Easy Peasy.

I bet they will forget to switch the toll booths around.