Police protect Prachin Buri flood barrier

webfact

Who do you think works at the industrial estate? Personally I would rather have my house flooded than lose my salary for say 3-6 months (or perhaps permanently) because my workplace was flooded and all the machinery had to be replaced.

Would you flood your home for your neighbours job??

No of course not. I simply assumed, probably wrongly, that a very large housing estate right next to an industrial estate meant that many people in the housing estate worked at the industrial estate, which would make sense. Of course it sucks for those who do not work there. However, if I did work there, and I liked my job, then yes, I would prefer my house to flood instead of my workplace.

No, very different socioec groups. Workers in the industrial estate come from small villages outside the Muang District or on its fringes. The housing estate folk are solidly middle/upper middle class urban.

This is always the problem with dams, to protect one location they always worsen flooding elsewhere and it does lead to a lot of social conflict. Damming also often prolongs the problem (ref the Big Bag Barrier of 2011). The water has to get to the sea and the less it is impeded in doing so the sooner it will be over for everyone.

Yes we had to suffer longer too to save others. They really could have gotten the water out faster but they really did not want to risk just a bit of inner bkk to get wet. That is a shame as 10-20 cm water is not that bad and would have helped a lot of folks.

I am happy that this time I am not it but I feel for those that are hit.

I read here stories from people who are worried that their bank account or internet is not more accessible.

If I look around me in the villages and talk with the locals as good as I can most are afraid to lose all. The small companies, who are struggling to have money enough for the weekly payroll didn t have the big compensations like the big Japanese companies did have after 2011. The savings did float away in the flooding of 2011. The houses/factories are heavily in debt by banks or worse loansharks.

A new long floating will kick them out of business without any change to come back any more. By me, on the outer estate now people may park their cars and belongings and make little houses. My house and grounds around did have a surplus of 2 meter above the flooding level of 2011.

By the last flooding my house served as free ground. To make the best we could do I bought a large flat bottom boat with 2 outboards, my generator worked day and night, we ship in food/drinks/petrol. But to make a long story short the 2011 flooding set my bank account 1 million back. Luckily the government send us a check, after 6 months for 40.000.

And now the same as then, local administration is on 'training mission' and let the people over to a few soldiers. This soldiers are in the same bad situation as the locals. No food, no drinks and even not enough petrol for their truck.

So yes i can understand that your job, bank account and internet is a prestigious good and need to be protected to all costs.

• Like 1