State Hospitals Told To Ban Unregistered Foreign Labourers

Jai Dee

State hospitals told to ban unregistered foreign labourers

Government-run hospitals across the country have been instructed not to welcome unregistered, illegal foreign workers.

Public Health Minister Phinij Jarusombat yesterday said that Thailand is now short of the budget just to give free medical services to illegal foreign workers.

He then instructed every state-run hospital, notably hospitals along border districts, not to give free medical service of any kind to illegal workers as the government has to lose as much as 200 to 300 million baht a year only for taking care of some illegal immigrants.

Mr Phinij also said that he would not fear any accusation suggesting he is merciless.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 April 2006

That's one of the proposals for 30 baht scheme reform - include people without ID's.

Mr. Pinij might not want to hear that he is merciless but is there any other way to see him? Refusing to provide medical help is against vows every doctor takes, I doubt doctors at state hospitals will be able to turn away people in real emergency cases.

Refusing to provide medical help is against vows every doctor takes, I doubt doctors at state hospitals will be able to turn away people in real emergency cases.

Unfortunately it is common practise here in Bangkok to turn away patients even in real emergency cases, even in government hospitals. The rescue services often have to shop around for hospitals with their injured on the back of their trucks. It all depends on the doctor on duty.

My experience is that upcountry this is generally handled far more humane. And i know several hospitals who will most likely keep on ignoring this insane order, and continue treating patients regardless of their legal status.

Did Public Health Minister Phinij Jarusombat explain the public health ramifications of letting people with contagious conditions go untreated. :D

Don't worry about that. :D

Mai pen rai............

I am sure the Thai people are immune to all the nasty diseases these people may bring with them. :o