Cabinet approves 5-day New Year holiday Dec 28- Jan 1 to boost tourism

webfact

Govt announces 30 December as public holiday

BANGKOK, 15 October 2013 (NNT) – The cabinet has decided to extend the New Year holidays to five days, announcing December 30 as an additional public holiday.

According to the government spokesperson, the cabinet has approved The Secretariat of the Cabinet’s request declaring Monday, December 30, 2013 as an additional public holiday.

It is expected that the extended holiday will lead to more public spending, which, in turn, will drive the economy forward and support the tourism sector.

This year-end holiday season will begin on December 28, 2013 to January 1, 2014, for a total of 5 days.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-15 footer_n.gif

I hate spending holidays in Thailand during this period .... I dont like when the hotels or resorts impose to take their pretended GALA DINNER , if you refuse you still have to pay for it ..... But just wonder how much money this extra day off will cost to the country ??

• Like 1

The last few years I wanted to go on holidays at these dates.

But as the hotels are almost full they double, triple the prices.

If they want to help tourism they would put some holidays at an off season date. At a time where the hotels are anyhow full most potential customer would sit at home as they can't get affordable rooms.

• Like 2

I hate spending holidays in Thailand during this period .... I dont like when the hotels or resorts impose to take their pretended GALA DINNER , if you refuse you still have to pay for it ..... But just wonder how much money this extra day off will cost to the country ??

never understood the point of this GALA DINNER. (beside making extra money)

You nailed it!

It will be a good time to stay home and enjoy the family day.

Anyone ask the business community if this will have some impact or did it just happen at the whim of that unidentified person that spews out all this garbage. Surely it must come from one individual... That many people cant be that stupid... can they?

No one does!

I work in the "industry" myself!

It is a pain in the @$$ for us, the customers ...but the hotels get their money!

We are selling one hotel in Khao Lak, where the "Gala Dinner" is more expensive than the room rate!

Others ask for up to 9.000++ Baht.

Insanity in its purest form!

OK... if I read this correctly... the extended holiday will increase tourism, but if all the workers are on Holiday, how will tourism be benefited? Those who chose to work on a legal holiday should receive holiday pay increases. So I'm guessing that Toyota and other manufactures will pay thousands of workers more for working in those holidays. It sounds very expensive to business. It doesn't affect me, but make sure employees get their holiday pay.

• Like 1

Just what Thailand nees, an extra public holiday. It will soon be easier to itemise the working days than the public holidays.

Of course the poor public servants are the only ones who benefit from the Thai hols, the Buddha hols, the Christian hols. Have I missed any?

probably the Lao & Cambodian hols too??

Just what Thailand nees, an extra public holiday. It will soon be easier to itemise the working days than the public holidays.

Of course the poor public servants are the only ones who benefit from the Thai hols, the Buddha hols, the Christian hols. Have I missed any?

probably the Lao & Cambodian hols too??

Chinese Holidays....Lord knows we need more tourists from China. They are so courteous, clean and practice all the safety rules of the road.

Another example of "dumb and dumber". Do they not calculate the cost to business, or do they not understand that in Thailand?

What cost of business? They declared 1 (one) day to an additional holiday, a Monday and therefore created a super long weekend of free time. i guess that makes many happy.

its a wise decision.

• Like 2

No one does!

It is a pain in the @$$ for us, the customers ...but the hotels get their money!

We are selling one hotel in Khao Lak, where the "Gala Dinner" is more expensive than the room rate!

you are in what industry?

if you are able to sell your product during the holiday seasons at a higher price you do it.

not to do it would it be insane, business wise.

Good idea. Make it a decent holiday break like we do at home.

It won't boost tourism but it will give the workers a reason to be cheerful.

thumbsup.gif

It will boost local tourism.

I am pretty sure that long weekend encourages and enables people to go on a trip which they wouldn't take if they had to show up at the office on Monday.

Lol... I didn't realise there were so many business savvy expats on here!

To the real business owners that are disadvantaged, sorry for you guys. Another example which demonstrates absolutely no consequential thought process within government.... At any level.

Great! So that means that all the five star hotel cocktail lounges and bars with free-lancers aplenty can advertise "new year's bash" for five straight days and haul in a few extra days rake from the girls working free-lance in these upscale four and five star Thai bars.

They are for people who want to enjoy the holidays with friends and family. To lighten up a bit and have some fun. You should try it sometime ... you may actually like it.

They are for people who want to enjoy the holidays with friends and family. To lighten up a bit and have some fun. You should try it sometime ... you may actually like it.

That would be the case with an optional Gala Dinner, not a forced one.

I will buy 5 packs of Chang beer and make sure the fridge is full. No car diving in this period either.

With the money you save you could buy some real beer.

(But I admit after transport around half the planet the imported beer might not be better)

In my poor home country, every more "holiday" is been seen as lowering the Gross National Product (GNP).

Happy Thailand: it is the opposite !

Why not declare every day of the year a public holiday?

the effect on economy would be countless.

(at least, shut down all schools, Universities and state institutions/governmental offices, post-offices ...the whole year ...)

amazing T....

lala Land!

• Like 1

Another example of "dumb and dumber". Do they not calculate the cost to business, or do they not understand that in Thailand?

they have no idea! I cannot belive you even asked this being on this forum..rice pledging..water management. Etc etc...hahaha

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

No one does!

I came across this a couple of years back. I'd never heard of it before but luckily not all hotels do it.

The last few years I wanted to go on holidays at these dates.

But as the hotels are almost full they double, triple the prices.

If they want to help tourism they would put some holidays at an off season date. At a time where the hotels are anyhow full most potential customer would sit at home as they can't get affordable rooms.

Indeed, if they got rid of a few of the compulsory holidays and forced employers to give a few more discretionary days, it would stop this glut and famine for the resorts a little.

It's not unusual to place orders the last days of the year if there's unused money left on the budget. I know businesses who have lost substantial orders because of this during previous years, simply because nobody answered the phone during the extended new year holiday.