Extension of Tourist Visa

Some on pointed out to me today that he can get two extensions of stay for 30 days on a tourist visa. I told him he was wrong and he said it's on the American Embassy Bangkok website. I looked and I will be damned it did say that:

Tourist Visas

If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended twice, each time for an additional 30 days. There is a 1,900 Baht fee for each extension. Interested Americans should contact the Thai Immigration Bureau located at Government Center Chaengwattana Building B, No. 120, Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Tungsonghong Sub-District, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210, 66-2-287-3101 through 66-2-287-3110. For more information or additional Thai Immigration

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/thai-visas-for-americans.html

I think this is in error. Does anyone know different?

Thank you.

The statement is clearly wrong.

"The tourist visa must be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended twice, each time for an additional 30 days."

The implication being that each 60 day stay can be extended twice.

Wrong !

Many years ago before the fee went up to 1900 baht for extensions, you could do multiple extensions on each entry. The initial entry was 60 days then 30 + 15 + 15 + 7 = 7, which gave you a total of 59 days. It was OK when the extensions cost 500 baht but when they upped the price to 1900 baht they stopped the additional extensions past the first 30 days.

Many years ago before the fee went up to 1900 baht for extensions, you could do multiple extensions on each entry. The initial entry was 60 days then 30 + 15 + 15 + 7 = 7, which gave you a total of 59 days. It was OK when the extensions cost 500 baht but when they upped the price to 1900 baht they stopped the additional extensions past the first 30 days.

30 + 15 + 15 + 7 = 7

which gave you a total of 59 days

Ah yes, the "New Math" claims another victim.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1