Ten Ayutthaya districts declared disaster zones

Lite Beer

Ten Ayutthaya districts declared disaster zones
By English News

13818302216930-640x390x2.jpg

AYUTTHAYA, Oct 15 - Ten of a total 16 districts in central Thailand's flood-hit Ayutthaya province have been declared immediate emergency assistance zones.

Ayutthaya Governor Wittaya Pewpong on Tuesday declared 10 districts including Bang Ban, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, and Bang Pa-in in the Chao Phraya River basin, Pak Hai, Sena, Bang Sai in the Noi River basin, Tha Rua and Nakhon Luang in the Pasak River basin as well as Maha Rat and Bang Pahan in the Lopburi River basin

Ban Phraek district along the Lopburi River and Wang Noi district along Rapeepat Canal are under consideration as immediate emergency assistance zones.

So far about 53,825 households in 786 villages of Phra Nakhon SI Ayutthaya’s 122 subdistricts have been flooded. The government has promised financial compensation of 33,000 baht per household for all 168,819 people affected by the floods, and officials will be sent to the areas to estimate overall flood damages after the floodwaters recede.

Meanwhile, three crocodiles, one of them a 40-centimetre long baby reptile and two other 70-centimetre crocodiles, have been captured in the Thai-Cambodian border town of Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaeo province amid receding floodwaters.

The crocodiles reportedly escaped from Poi Pet, a flood-hit Cambodian town, which borders Thailand. Residents living along the Promhod canal have been warned to keep a close watch on their family members and that they should avoid any activities near the canal as there is another 2-metre long crocodile that has not been recaptured. Residents have been urged to immediately inform the authorities if they see the runaway crocodile. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-15

• Like 1

This annoys me. Keep Bangkok dry but Xxxx everyone else in Thailand? Open the sluice gates and let the water go to the sea, that is the what it is supposed to do. Oh well, people will be laughing in about 50 years when most of Bangkok will be under water and their will be a new capital, most likely in Issan and then no one will give a Xxxx about Bangkok! Venice of the east..........well look at Venice now!

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 2

This annoys me. Keep Bangkok dry but Xxxx everyone else in Thailand? Open the sluice gates and let the water go to the sea, that is the what it is supposed to do. Oh well, people will be laughing in about 50 years when most of Bangkok will be under water and their will be a new capital, most likely in Issan and then no one will give a Xxxx about Bangkok! Venice of the east..........well look at Venice now!

Not an easy issue.... no 'correct' answers I'm afraid. I'm with you in terms of the empathy I have for the people who have to suffer to keep Bangkok dry. But the other side of the coin is that Bangkok is the commercial capital of the country. If all those Japanese (etc) factories get flooded again, that would have serious long-term repercussions for the whole country.... not to mention the cost if flood-waters again reach downtown areas. Back in 2011, the government was criticised for holding back rising waters too long in order to allow farmers to harvest their crops (you'll hear lots of people here make this argument); this year the government may be criticised for 'sacrificing' the rural folk to keep the richer city folk dry. Dammed if they do, damned if they don't [bad pun intended]...

• Like 1

The 350 Billion Baht flood prevention plan is not constructed yet. Earliest completion expected 2018. Meanwhile expect annual flooding of the Chao Phraya valley. The flooding of the Chao Preya valley should gradually reduce in intensity year on year until completion of the project. IMO

Edited by indyuk

Flood BKK? Excuse me, it doesn't make sense no matter how I look at it.

Most of Thai rural houses are on the sticks, just like the one in the picture. The guy (on the picture) standing in a knee deep water, technically he's flooded, in reality - not so. Would it make anything better if the gates are opened, BKK gets flooded and water level around the guy's house drops in half, even ankle deep? He's still technically going to be flooded with his house sitting up on the stick, while Bangkokians would have to move their things up to the 2nd floor (those that have 2 floors).

I know the picture doesn't represent the whole of rural Thailand, not everyone has their houses built this way and flood water depth can vary, but flooding BKK is still not an answer. There are a lot more than 53825 households in BKK that will get affected just so those affected households mentioned in the OP can have a little less water around them?

Opening the gates will not drain all the flood waters in one quick WHOOOSH and out to the sea, it takes time and I'm sure the flooded planes were getting flooded in the past way before BKK with the flood gates was built...

Flood BKK? Excuse me, it doesn't make sense no matter how I look at it.

Most of Thai rural houses are on the sticks, just like the one in the picture. The guy (on the picture) standing in a knee deep water, technically he's flooded, in reality - not so. Would it make anything better if the gates are opened, BKK gets flooded and water level around the guy's house drops in half, even ankle deep? He's still technically going to be flooded with his house sitting up on the stick, while Bangkokians would have to move their things up to the 2nd floor (those that have 2 floors).

I know the picture doesn't represent the whole of rural Thailand, not everyone has their houses built this way and flood water depth can vary, but flooding BKK is still not an answer. There are a lot more than 53825 households in BKK that will get affected just so those affected households mentioned in the OP can have a little less water around them?

Opening the gates will not drain all the flood waters in one quick WHOOOSH and out to the sea, it takes time and I'm sure the flooded planes were getting flooded in the past way before BKK with the flood gates was built...

Yup, that's the way everybody in Bangkok looks at it.