Planting Jasmine

My girlfriend -- and her family -- are quite inventive to come up with ideas how I could invest some money with them.

The latest idea would be to plant Jasmine (Malee) on 2 Rai behind the house; it was told to me that the flowers actually are good money bringers and a buyer for them would be in place. Of course I am doubtful, but the total cost for the plants would amount to a minor amount (4,000 Baht), so I am willing to go for it just to see what happens.

Still, has anybody had experience with planting Jasmine; eg does it need special ground quality and nutrients, amount of water needed, pest control, other pitfalls that I need to be aware of. How long do the plants need to grow until they flower, how high is the mortality rate until flowering, etc. I guess the family of my girlfriend will answer all those questions, but to double check...

If you don't object I will move this to the Pets&Vets section which also actually includes gardening.

That said, jasmine is a very tough plant, I have found it very easy to grow, it flowers rather quickly (and year round as near as I can tell) and it is a semi vining plant so it sort of creeps across the ground. I have grown it in sandy soil that drains quickly and heavy clay that doesn't drain at all and it has done superbly in both. Mine have been fairly pest free, a few munches on the leaves but nothing that has impaired the flowering.

I don't know what kind of prices you'd get for it, seems like you'd have to have some serious volume going to get anything worthwhile.

It very much depends on what kind of plants. The better plants bringing big buds cost a lot more in the beginning but you get about 400 baht per kilogram at the market. If you can cooperate with locals who do the "crafty" work by hand, producing nice ornaments for all kinds of celebrations, it can be quite a lucrative business.

2 rai is very much. You need a lot of people doing the weeding, watering, harvesting etc. You should start with a smaller piece, testing the ground first. Best plants they sell around Pak Chong for 15 up to 60 baht depending on quality. Expect about 2 years for good growth.

Edited by Ajarn Kimau

Ajarn kimau, what kind of fertilizer requirements do they have for maximum flowering? I tend not to fertilize mine at all (since it is just for show) and they still flower pretty much non-stop.