Moving to Thailand - Who else?

Hi!

My name is Joana, 24 yo and from Germany! I've travelled several times to Thailand and lived there for 3 months the last time!

Now I'm planning seriously to move there! I have friends in Thailand I really like but it feels kinda lonely for me to move there by my own.

So here's my question: Does anyone else thinking about beginning a new life in Thailand? Please send me an email. Do you have any idea about how to live there, I mean which job we could apply to OR even BETTER: Are you interested in making some own business in Thailand? IDEAS!!

I'm waiting for you.

Edited by Mario2008
email removed per forum rules

Hi Joe.

Interesting to learn of your plan(s).

Finding work will not be easy !

Are you qualified in any trade or profession ?

You will not be able to secure a long term visa and the best you can hope for will be a double entry tourist visa which will (if used properly) give you a stay of approximately 170 days.

An alternative would be to sign up with a School to learn the Thai language. This would enable you to apply for an ED visa .

Starting a business in Thailand is complex and expensive !

I would advise you do much more research before committing yourself to Thailand.

• Like 2

Hi Joana,

I am moving to Thailand (Pattaya) in January for (minimum) 1 year on a ED visa. Where in Thailand do you intend to stay?

I do not plan to work in Thailand, but if someone has a good business idea, I would not mind being a "sleeping" partner (but not a silent partner *S*), which I guess does not require a work permit.

• Like 1

There are a number of German, Nordic call centers opening in Thailand the past year or so. Health care/Insurance. Not many opportunities in Thailand. Although 10 years have seen me well in Thailand, if I had my time again I would look at Cambodia, far less working restrictions.

• Like 2

Good luck!

It's not as easy as it was just 5 years ago to come here and live. I would suggest to just be slow in your decision making and think things out. It's easy to get screwed here. Monetarily that is, and for that matter, just about every way.

You might want to actually have a plan.

'Moving to Thailand' is NOT a plan.

If you've no savings in the bank or ways to make money you're screwed.

If you come here on an EDU visa as far as I know you can NOT work so you can forget about that.

Even if you don't getting a job other than teaching English will be tricky unless you have a specialized skill the country needs. Even for English teaching you officially need some sort of qualifications.

So if you can't legally work, don't have online income and have no skills that can get you a job you should think of another 'plan'.

• Like 1

Oh well you can leave it to me if I think it's a plan or not thx!

I have plenty of friends who came there with an ED visa and now easily live and work there as an english teacher. (You know you can change your visa when you get your work permit don't you?)

I have good marketing skills and I would prefer to have a job in that business but we will see. An english teacher I can be anyway but actually I'm looking for something more. A perfect work for me would be in a hotel, but I think this won't be easy.

Thanks for the advise with the call centres I will have a look at that!

Btw I have savings in the bank - But still prefer to work than wasting them!

Edited by JoeDeeSchecter
  • Like 1

I have plenty of friends who came there with an ED visa and now easily live and work there as an english teacher. (You know you can change your visa when you get your work permit don't you?)

I have good marketing skills and I would prefer to have a job in that business but we will see. An english teacher I can be anyway but actually I'm looking for something more. A perfect work for me would be in a hotel, but I think this won't be easy.

A bit of advise mate, you asked a question on TVisa, listen to what the advise is,with an attitude like your first sentence in this quote<i wish you well>chook dee

Here's my question again:

Does anyone else thinking about beginning a new life in Thailand?

If YES -> Please send me an email or contact me here.

Do you have any idea about how to live there, I mean which job we could apply to OR even BETTER: Are you interested in making some own business in Thailand? IDEAS!!

Looking forward hearing from other ones who also want to move there smile.png

Edited by JoeDeeSchecter

24 years old, live a bit before you throw away your life smile.png

If it was so straight forward to up and move/live in Thailand many more people would do this, how many success stories are out there?

Business opportunities yeah loads why not open a bar with you savings whistling.gif

Seriously you are too young to start a life in Thailand (in my opinion) go on a teaching course for twelve months see how you feel. After twelve months review and evalute your position you might have changed your mind about living and working there full time.

You talk about teaching are Thai school selective in who they employ, would your age go against you? Also the money that you would earn as a teacher would not be good, I imagine the best schools employee the best qualified and experienced teachers.

Study for twelve months first, then decide about your future.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Do you have any idea about how to live there, I mean which job we could apply to OR even BETTER: Are you interested in making some own business in Thailand? IDEAS!!

Does anyone else .....

If the potential English teachers cannot write English correctly, what chance have their students got ?? Sad fact about some of the English teachers working in LOS, who do it not for the love of teaching, but as a way of enabling them to remain in Thailand. It should be English people only teaching English .... if a German wants to teach, let them teach German or something they can teach correctly.

only english people? lol

• Like 1

Does anyone else .....

If the potential English teachers cannot write English correctly, what chance have their students got ?? Sad fact about some of the English teachers working in LOS, who do it not for the love of teaching, but as a way of enabling them to remain in Thailand. It should be English people only teaching English .... if a German wants to teach, let them teach German or something they can teach correctly.

only english people? lol

Think that was meant to read native English Speakers..

I'll start with something that I would tell anyone visiting or moving to Thailand. Well ahead of time, ensure that all your standard vaccinations are up to date. I say well ahead of time because there are a number of vaccinations that must be given in a series several weeks apart. I would also recommend that you get vaccinations for Rabies and Japanese Encephalitis. Rabies specifically because of the large number of stray dogs or "soi dogs" that are very prevalent here.

Many people have already commented on working here. Many people who come over here, with the best intentions, to teach English, end up hating it. They get into their schools, and find out they are facing an entirely different school/teaching environment than they expected. Lower pay than they expected, additional duties assigned, unruly students, can't fail students even if they deserve it, lack of support from school supervisors, etc. There are also a number of scams aimed at potential foreign teachers. Here is one decent article. Google Thailand teacher scam and you can find other accounts.

• Like 1

Does anyone else .....

only english people? lol

Think that was meant to read native English Speakers..

I agree,,,, Aussie,, original Dutch,been in Aus for 40 years now retired in Thailand 18 months

Good for you girl!...25 is a good age to learn about the world and other cultures and to look for the right opportunity in life!! To have good friends here and good advise is a good start. To learn the Thai language perfectly is the second step. To live cheap and not showing off that you are "different" than Thai girls, is important to be welcomed to their lives. If you like the hotel business, keep learning languages perfectly, specially Russian, Japanese and Chinese. Learn about the religion and traditions, and adopt it if you like, with sincerity. Those skills and attitude will open doors for you in other fields, like export-import, real estate, education....and more, and will put you in contact with the right people. Do not get into the "tourist" environment. If you want to live and work here looking ahead, do not act like a "farang" in vacation. Live in a city with a busy cultural and business life, and get involved in social and volunteers activities.

You are young, you have a young mind and energy, and you know that you can do it. Go girl!

Thailand is a great country!

• Like 2

I'll start with something that I would tell anyone visiting or moving to Thailand. Well ahead of time, ensure that all your standard vaccinations are up to date. I say well ahead of time because there are a number of vaccinations that must be given in a series several weeks apart. I would also recommend that you get vaccinations for Rabies and Japanese Encephalitis. Rabies specifically because of the large number of stray dogs or "soi dogs" that are very prevalent here.

Haven't had any vaccinations or shots in over 35 years of traveling /living in Asia.

Than there are also those that wil tell you to make sure you have travel and health insurance.

2 things i have not had since i leftt the Peace Corps in 1980

Ignore all these doomsayers, get ur ticket, pack ur bags, make sure ur atm works and come over an find out for yourself

BUT do not burn any bridges to home

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Joe, if you want to a decent marketing job, you'll need to base yourself in Bangkok. Unfortunately a lot of the regional HQ marketing departments have relocated to Singapore in recent years, so you'll be looking at working with a local team. Beauty products are massive in Thailand, and Biesdorf (Nivea) has a big operation here. As it is a German company, it could be a good place to start your search.

• Like 1

Joana, you can have my spot here. I'm leaving Thailand next year after almost 3 years living here. Cambodia, Philippines or Vietnam are much more inviting...and the people much friendlier.

Feel free to message me if you choose to live in Chiang Mai and I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have about life here.

Good luck!

Haven't had any vaccinations or shots in over 35 years of traveling /living in Asia.

Than there are also those that wil tell you to make sure you have travel and health insurance.

2 things i have not had since i leftt the Peace Corps in 1980

Ignore all these doomsayers, get ur ticket, pack ur bags, make sure ur atm works and come over an find out for yourself

BUT do not burn any bridges to home

"Haven't had any vaccinations or shots in over 35 years of traveling /living in Asia."

Is that comment is some kind of feeble joke. Because that comment is stupid, piled on stupid, on top of more stupid!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joanna, don't listen to this character. One of the most effective health decisions one can make in their normal life, let alone travelling the world, is to keep their vaccinations up to date. Even some of the standard normal vaccinations can require "booster" shots periodically to maintain their effectiveness. The reason that I originally mentioned it is not because I think you are dumb or anything like that. It's just something that, a lot of times, people just don't think about in the excitement of planning their trips.

Hi Joana,

I am moving to Thailand (Pattaya) in January for (minimum) 1 year on a ED visa. Where in Thailand do you intend to stay?

I do not plan to work in Thailand, but if someone has a good business idea, I would not mind being a "sleeping" partner (but not a silent partner *S*), which I guess does not require a work permit.

So much naivity in this thread - incredible.

As for your point, then unless you will be a totally, silent 'investor', you WILL need a work permit. Skills like management, consultancy, the offering of advice and guidance is 'work'.

There's every chance you'd not be found out, but if the poop hits the fan, then don't come crying on this forum...or even your embassy. Your fault.

I have a good friend who was just a few years older than you moved to BKK to work for a large growing model agency in marketing, he had a good degree and few years experience and didn’t need to learn Thai as official business was gone in English. He was working long hours 8am-7pm+ so a salary of just 35,000 bahts p/m (very good for Thai standards), 50% of which went on rent+travel plus expected to put in double effort as he was a foreigner, he reckoned his colleagues resented him earning more. He hated it as he had no life, no community (apart from old men hanging around bars thinking they are living the dream) and left after 6 months to return to the UK and now is a tourist to Thailand/SEA x2 a year. Teachers earning around the same if less.

You don’t give any skills/education or level of savings you have, im sure you feel your savings are quite significant but for 24yrs old you are probably underestimating how much you need. At least if you are in the West you are earning more and can years down the line move to Thailand once uv built your life in Germany and got your own property/proper savings/investments etc. Also starting your own business without networks or backing seems unrealistic given how closed Thai economy is compared to the UK/US.

• Like 1

A bit of advise mate, you asked a question on TVisa, listen to what the advise is,with an attitude like your first sentence in this quote<i wish you well>chook dee

Id reckon the OP owes you nothing and that you are looking and finding for offense where none is intended.

Plenty of people make a go of lives in thailand. i came here at 26 with 5k and no plan and 10 years on, its been a good run.

sucks when the young have dreams doesn't it?

I cant see why the op should take as gospel the curmugeonly cautious advice of someone in their twilight years.

And calling the op "mate", just shows you did not read the post carefully enough to take offense to anything in it.

This sounds like a marketing pitch or some sort of pitch about something. While possibly sincere, I would be very careful. There are many ways to legally live in Thailand. I think the Thai Visa website is the best source from so many people that are actually doing it. I myself could retire here as i am over 50 and can afford it. I also could teach technical subjects ( I have degrees in Engineering and Math) or English if I had to. If one is under 50, then some sort of business investment could be done, but that requires foreign investment which it doesn't sound like you have. It is possible to work here of course in other professions. Good luck