Subaru STI vs Mitsubishi Evo here in Th

bkmbkk

Looking on One2car there are more newer Evo's for sale (in fact 10 pcs Evo X) vs a few newer STI's.

Does that mean the Evo is more popular here than than STI / why if yes ?.

I would only be interested in a max 2 year old car with aut gear and low milage.

BTW;

As I no longer have/need a nanny, I am thinking swopping her 2013 model 2,0 Civic for something more fun (Evo / STI).

What model would you choose ?

waste to get a hardcore sports saloon like a STI or Evo and opt for an auto IMO

STI makes less torque, 300lb ft m/t V torque 258lb for the auto

Don't agree it is a waste with auto box.

These cars are awsomw with/without auto,

Power upgrade is also a possibility if desired.

If anything worries me, it won't be power loss in the auto box, but rather how these cars run on the low octane petrol these days.

waste to get a hardcore sports saloon like a STI or Evo and opt for an auto IMO

STI makes less torque, 300lb ft m/t V torque 258lb for the auto

Don't agree it is a waste with auto box.

These cars are awsomw with/without auto,

Power upgrade is also a possibility if desired.

If anything worries me, it won't be power loss in the auto box, but rather how these cars run on the low octane petrol these days.

Neither have ever been officially imported to Thailand (all gray), so parts, servicing and insurance should probably also be a concern I guess.

As for fuel, the octane is no lower than ever, and a recent model ones shouldn't have any problems with the Ethanol content.

One more thing to be wary of: a "2011" could indeed be a "2007" - these gray imports often don't report date of manufacture, but rather date first sold in Thailand. Check the compliance plates.

And lastly, check the Tabien Rot (blue book) and make sure it's accurate - i.e. shows that the car is a 2.0L Turbo with > 220HP - if not it's likely they have cooked the books to avoid taxes, and that's going to become your problem when it's found out.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

The Suburu dealer in Sri Racha has the STI priced on its brochuire but does not have one in the showroom. They say they support it there as well. I believe the price was about Bht 2.9m.

I would prefer the EVO but both are very tunable and would take either if I wanted a "boy racer/rally car". And that term not in a negative context.

Got it - need to check the book and originality of the car.

New price from Subaru is 3,9 mill for the STI.

I don't want to spend more than 2 mill and have time to look around.

The EVO seems to be more popular here and I am leaning to that side now.

Many of the older Imprezas and Evo VI models I looked at were mock-ups. In fact, I recall only the newer models were original.

All of the version 5 & 6 WRX STI's I looked at were all previously 1.8l sedans that had a 2.0l turbo fitted. Similarly with the EVOs I looked at, they had the 4G63 from the legacy dropped in them and were previously stock 1.6l cars.

I avoided buying any of them for that reason.

Of the newer Evo's I would only consider the X, but that's a personal preference.

Many of the older Imprezas and Evo VI models I looked at were mock-ups. In fact, I recall only the newer models were original.

All of the version 5 & 6 WRX STI's I looked at were all previously 1.8l sedans that had a 2.0l turbo fitted. Similarly with the EVOs I looked at, they had the 4G63 from the legacy dropped in them and were previously stock 1.6l cars.

I avoided buying any of them for that reason.

Of the newer Evo's I would only consider the X, but that's a personal preference.

Since you have been looking around could you tell me what dealer woukd be good ?

I see a dealer called Evo Step and Forever - they seems to have this as a speciality.

I agree about the Evo X - this would br the one I'm looking for.

Got it - need to check the book and originality of the car.

New price from Subaru is 3,9 mill for the STI.

I don't want to spend more than 2 mill and have time to look around.

The EVO seems to be more popular here and I am leaning to that side now.

Have you considered a VW Golf GTI, the MK6 is about 2.2M

Its also very tuneable & runs on Gasohol95.

Subaru has been delivering the wrx and stis official to Thailand. However this year they dropped the standard wrx and are only importing the sti.

If you wanted to check if it was a grey import or not..get the vin and engine number. Subaru thailand will hbe able to tell you if it was officially imported or not. You will also be able to tell if its a legit car ie real sti as well.

Stis come out of Japan tuned on 98. Id say that subaru is detuning them to 95 when supplying them to thailand. This is something that would be important to check as if they are grey imports without being detuned, they'd be pinging like crazy and well you could end up with a dud. After 2006 subaru went backwards and the internals of the stis were no longer all forged..unlike the gdb sti, which was pretty hard to break.

If you can find a Thailand delivered one that was bought from subaru thailand originally, you'd probably have better luck with it. I'm always keeping an eye out, but no rush as yet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I see very few newer STI's for sale.

More Evo X.

Gray import is ok as long as the car and paper work is in order.

Have you guys any experience with Evo Step and Forever that are doing in these cars ?

Who else would be able to service and tune these cars - the right way.