A new reason to jail Thais for thought crime?

webfact

Similar, proposed Legislation was attempted by the recently ousted Labor Government in Australia. Fortunately they were defeated by the very thing they attempted to stifle.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” - George Orwell

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife who has been moderately red all her life now says she wants a coup, and the sooner the better ! She, like many others who have been blinded by these Dictators for too long, is becoming a lot more savvy about what they are trying to do to the people of this country.

My own thoughts are that if this underlying dissent gathers pace in the coming decade this country is in line for a very big public uprising that is likely to reshape the future completely. The wheel always turns full circle.

So what exactly does your "moderately red" wife object to? It would be interesting to know given her original "red" sentiment though she now wants a military coup.Does she want a permanent military junta or a government appointed by the military or a caretaker government in advance of a democratically elected one? If there was a general election how does she think the Thai people would vote (if allowed a fair election) after a coup?Does she think a military coup would increase or decrease the chance of a healthy democracy? Why was she moderately red in the first place? Does she believe the original "red platform" has been subverted? What precise steps under the current government does she object to?

Frankly it all seems a bit implausible.Did you make it up?

This has to be a new low for you Jayboy, flaming a posters wife, unbelievable

This proposed bill needs to be strangled now, we should not we must not let one madman's dogma and rabid rhetoric along with his puppets to stifle what passes for democracy in Thailand.

No doubt a close friendship led to cosy fireside chats with Hun Sen, Robert Mugabe etc whose past experiences concerning the stifling of free speech and citizens freedom were without a doubt very quickly embraced .

Having seen how successful those experiences were along with the escaping by Hun Sen of judicial retribution for his part in the Holocaust that engulfed Cambodia under Pol Pot and his cadre of which Hun Sen was an active member Thaksin has embraced those ideas with alacrity and ordered his puppet s to act so as to ensure his megalomaniac pursuit for absolute power meets no opposition at all and thus is indeed unstoppable..

Wife who has been moderately red all her life now says she wants a coup, and the sooner the better ! She, like many others who have been blinded by these Dictators for too long, is becoming a lot more savvy about what they are trying to do to the people of this country.

My own thoughts are that if this underlying dissent gathers pace in the coming decade this country is in line for a very big public uprising that is likely to reshape the future completely. The wheel always turns full circle.

So what exactly does your "moderately red" wife object to? It would be interesting to know given her original "red" sentiment though she now wants a military coup.Does she want a permanent military junta or a government appointed by the military or a caretaker government in advance of a democratically elected one? If there was a general election how does she think the Thai people would vote (if allowed a fair election) after a coup?Does she think a military coup would increase or decrease the chance of a healthy democracy? Why was she moderately red in the first place? Does she believe the original "red platform" has been subverted? What precise steps under the current government does she object to?

Don't be absurd.My post was obviously not a flame.If you need further clarification on what is and what is not a flame read the forum rules or take it up with the mods.

In any event I strongly suspect the political position of the "wife" (coup lover who was formerly a "moderate red") was mostly made up to give the impression this is a widely held view.But I try to have an open mind and I await a coherent reply to the questions I posed.

In any event I strongly suspect the political position of the "wife" (coup lover who was formerly a "moderate red") was mostly made up to give the impression this is a widely held view.But I try to have an open mind and I await a coherent reply to the questions I posed.
The comment ''But I try to have an open mind and I await a coherent reply to the question I posed.''
Perchance this is a politically correct way of stating that the mind in question is vacant?

Don't be absurd.My post was obviously not a flame.If you need further clarification on what is and what is not a flame read the forum rules or take it up with the mods.

You've gotten so blasted in this post thread, we could officially call it the 'K.O' (knock out). Haha

Absurd naivete compounded by the patronizing tone into sheer folly. The red movement characterized itself as a stand against double standards, an end to rural poverty, fairer justice system, and freedom of speech. All of these things have become far worse under this Thaksin govt. A more pertinent question would be why anybody that believed in the red cause originally still supports the Shinawatras after seeing their actions over the past 2 years. The only credible answer is that they have swallowed Thaksin's propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Whats the topic of the OP? I dont thinks its trainmans wife.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

We will let the other members decide.

Whats the topic of the OP? I dont thinks its trainmans wife.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

We will let the other members decide.

Clearly my post was not a flame (it wasn't even about a member's wife merely scepticism of a highly implausible proposition) but I am quite happy for the mods to decide.The subsequent personal attacks on me could possibly be construed as flames, but frankly I simply can't be bothered to water energy on them.

Meanwhile I await answers to the questions I posed.

Absurd naivete compounded by the patronizing tone into sheer folly. The red movement characterized itself as a stand against double standards, an end to rural poverty, fairer justice system, and freedom of speech. All of these things have become far worse under this Thaksin govt. A more pertinent question would be why anybody that believed in the red cause originally still supports the Shinawatras after seeing their actions over the past 2 years. The only credible answer is that they have swallowed Thaksin's propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Okay let's think this through.Obviously there are former red supporters disillusioned by subsequent events.I think it's a small minority and the great majority of supporters are still to be counted on.But it doesn't really affect my question which I will recapitulate.How does a disillusioned former red supporter think the situation would be improved through a military coup.Certainly this government could be removed and perhaps PTP banned by a compliant justice sysyem.But what then? That was my question (as set out in more detail in my original post) and I have yet to receive a response.

Okay let's think this through.Obviously there are former red supporters disillusioned by subsequent events.I think it's a small minority and the great majority of supporters are still to be counted on.But it doesn't really affect my question which I will recapitulate.How does a disillusioned former red supporter think the situation would be improved through a military coup.Certainly this government could be removed and perhaps PTP banned by a compliant justice sysyem.But what then? That was my question (as set out in more detail in my original post) and I have yet to receive a response.

For one thing it would immediately stop this government from milking the treasury dry, actually I think they have already done this. But it will stop them putting Thailand into debt for the next 50 years.

Secondly, we might get a caretaker government that stops the rice scam and sells the rice mountain before it rots away.

Thirdly, they might do an audit and release the true economic picture.

Edited by waza

Wife who has been moderately red all her life now says she wants a coup, and the sooner the better !   She, like many others who have been blinded by these Dictators for too long, is becoming a lot more savvy about what they are trying to do to the people of this country.

My own thoughts are that if this underlying dissent gathers pace in the coming decade this country is in line for a very big public uprising that is likely to reshape the future completely.  The wheel always turns full circle.

For one thing it would  immediately stop this government from milking the treasury dry, actually I think they have already done this.  But it will stop them putting Thailand into debt for the next 50 years.

Secondly, we might get a caretaker government that stops the rice scam and sells the rice mountain before it rots away.

Thirdly, they might do an audit and release the true economic picture. 

As was opined in another thread, Thailand's current implementation of democracy falls far short of delivering what the electorate (think they) are voting for. I think the phrase 'immature' is an apt description of Thai democracy.

Through the combination of apathy and years of education which fail to encourage free thought, it is possible for free elections to produce the current situation.

A military coup would certainly give pause for thought. It would allow the Shinawatra bulldozer to be stopped. However, as with the last coup, the military's over-riding wish to restore 'democracy' will probably result in the same blank cheque.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Thailand's future - Sinawatra, coup, Shinawatra, coup... - until the one party democracy has rid Thailand of all it's opponents.

Any other ideas to bring some sense to the PTP version of democracy? Tick the ballot paper box, and stand back while we do what we want. It's on page 307 of our manifesto. I'm sure everybody, especially the illiterate red supporters in the North, are fully aware of what the PTP had on offer.

Ah well, they might get another election, unless that's another PTP democratic policy to remove elections.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Whether coup-ousted or vote-bought... what difference does it make? It's the same old overly-police-and-military-controlled-propaganda-brain-pushed-washed procedure to brainwash the masses to believe in what they want to hear, only in order to backstab them where it hurts them the most, mentally and physically...

The military will always side with the winning party, so simple as logic that...

Welcome to future SHINA

Edited by MaxLee

It's not implausible to want a better deal for the poor and the rural, and to have been very disappointed with ptp and yinglucks attempts so far.

Wife who has been moderately red all her life now says she wants a coup, and the sooner the better !   She, like many others who have been blinded by these Dictators for too long, is becoming a lot more savvy about what they are trying to do to the people of this country.

My own thoughts are that if this underlying dissent gathers pace in the coming decade this country is in line for a very big public uprising that is likely to reshape the future completely.  The wheel always turns full circle.

It's not implausible to want a better deal for the poor and the rural, and to have been very disappointed with ptp and yinglucks attempts so far.

Agreed but those who hold that view tend to be radical red shirts. What's implausible is the suggestion by someone's formerly redshirt "wife" that the position would be remedied by a military coup.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agreed but those who hold that view tend to be radical red shirts. What's implausible is the suggestion by someone's formerly redshirt "wife" that the position would be remedied by a military coup.

In Thailand, anything is possible. I can seriously believe these political beginners supporting a coup over the democrats anytime.

...seeks to punish people whose words or actions using intangible heritage are found "to offend the monarchy, religion, national security, as well as public order and morality".

in·tan·gi·ble (ibreve.gifn-tabreve.gifnprime.gifjschwa.gif-bschwa.gifl)

adj.
1. Incapable of being perceived by the senses.
2. Incapable of being realized or defined.
3. Incorporeal.

Using the word "intangible" in a law related to vague institutional words such as religion, morality, etc., is just a law to further suppress open speech and democracy...it's geared to maintain very conservative thought and political power (i.e., don't rock any boats...go to work each day and be good little Thais).

...seeks to punish people whose words or actions using intangible heritage are found "to offend the monarchy, religion, national security, as well as public order and morality".

in·tan·gi·ble (ibreve.gifn-tabreve.gifnprime.gifjschwa.gif-bschwa.gifl)

adj.
1. Incapable of being perceived by the senses.
2. Incapable of being realized or defined.
3. Incorporeal.

Using the word "intangible" in a law related to vague institutional words such as religion, morality, etc., is just a law to further suppress open speech and democracy...it's geared to maintain very conservative thought and political power (i.e., don't rock any boats...go to work each day and be good little Thais).

Oooh I like 'incorporeal'...........Can hardly be applied to anyone Thai given their food consumption.Thai corporeality is a very tangible cultural asset.Could be taxed?

In Thailand, anything is possible. I can seriously believe these political beginners supporting a coup over the democrats anytime.

What does that mean please?

This would mean that in a place like Thailand, the reaction of people to political issues can be very odd, because issues are dealt with on a superficial level.

I can easily believe someone who supported Thaksin falling out of love with him, and choosing a coup over the dems. Poltics isn't a deeply ingrained idea her and it is more about the personality of the players than any deep ideology or policy.

This would mean that in a place like Thailand, the reaction of people to political issues can be very odd, because issues are dealt with on a superficial level.

I can easily believe someone who supported Thaksin falling out of love with him, and choosing a coup over the dems. Poltics isn't a deeply ingrained idea her and it is more about the personality of the players than any deep ideology or policy.

Well if nothing makes any sense and people act irrationally it's difficult to respond.However hypothetically if a former red supporter is in favour of a coup it touches on my original questions still unanswered - namely how does Thailand progress from there

Well if nothing makes any sense and people act irrationally it's difficult to respond.However hypothetically if a former red supporter is in favour of a coup it touches on my original questions still unanswered - namely how does Thailand progress from there

Progression after a coup?

The previous coup resulted in the restoration of Democracy, didn't it? The fact that Thais don't appear to understand how their country is run is why it is in the mess it's in.

Apparently, trade in the area I live in, in CM, has deteriorated over the past couple of years. Try to get a Thai to even understand what the PM does, let alone what the government does appears to be a near impossible task.

Government is school, amphurs, people who dress up in fancy dress on certain days. Until Thais mature politically, a coup will merely be an interruption before it all happens again. A coup is just a 'now let's draw breath'.

Progression after a coup?

The previous coup resulted in the restoration of Democracy, didn't it? The fact that Thais don't appear to understand how their country is run is why it is in the mess it's in.

Apparently, trade in the area I live in, in CM, has deteriorated over the past couple of years. Try to get a Thai to even understand what the PM does, let alone what the government does appears to be a near impossible task.

Government is school, amphurs, people who dress up in fancy dress on certain days. Until Thais mature politically, a coup will merely be an interruption before it all happens again. A coup is just a 'now let's draw breath'.

I agree that this is a difficult subject.My point is that a coup makes the situation worse.For a time there was an argument that a coup could act as a politics "re-set", unblocking an intractable situation so that the country could move on.This argument was deployed by many to justify 2006.Although I didn't agree at the time I could understand the logic.However as events turned out it has become all too apparent that the 2006 was a disaster, not least because it completely failed to achieve its objectives (ie the ejection of Thaksin - the easy part - and more critically the imposition of a government with democratic credentials and yet acceptable to feudal and military interests.The biggest tragedy of all that the coupmakers did grave damage to the institution they professed to hold in highest esteem.In my view there is no alternative to a long hard slog to improve democratic awareness and civil society.

I don't think anyone would disagree that any solution won't be easy.

My concern is that the Thai population is being dumbed-down to prevent any attempt to break the governments hold on power.

It shows perhaps that the government is sensing some cracks in the doctrine of obedience.

Thai education is geared up to producing the next batch of automatons. You should hear the arguments I have with my good wife if I dare to use the word 'why'.

Things are, because they are and Thai education will ensure that it remains that way.

I agree a coup is not the long-term answer. Thailand is its own worst enemy so I can't see any permanent solution for generations. Wonder what a rudderless PTP would be like if the deity KT is mortal after all.

I am still confused

Can someone explain what 'exactly' is "Intangible Culture" There is a lot of flaff on the web which tells me nothing..mostly drifts off into very tangible things like puppets

Is there Intangible American Cultures or an English one??

We should be told!

Where can I buy them?

I am still confused

Can someone explain what 'exactly' is "Intangible Culture" There is a lot of flaff on the web which tells me nothing..mostly drifts off into very tangible things like puppets

Is there Intangible American Cultures or  an  English one??

We should be told!

Where can I buy them?

Well I can't.

If someone can explain, perhaps they could include a definition of tangible culture.

I believe there are 2 Thai cultures which merge from the positive to the negative.

The positive culture is the Thai heritage which is often the preferred definition of culture. Put on a pahtoong or traditional shirt/trousers and, hey, that's Thai culture.

Respect for the parents and elders is also part of this positive aspect.

But this merges into the 'less positive' Thai culture.

Respect gets enlarged to produce a hierarchy starting with families. Eldest child is Pee. In my experience this gives them a sense of importance. As well as assuming the positive aspect of responsibilities, they expect respect from their nongs. I am fully aware of this aspect as my wife is pee.

My step-daughter is nong. Personally I hate the term when it is used as a prefix to her nickname. I either call her loog or her first name, because it's very difficult to use her nickname without preceding it with nong. Apparently, when the house was built, input from 'the children' was from pee. So the younger child starts off with this ingrained 'I am less important'. Hardly conducive to positive growth when you start off with a lack of self-respect.

This 'respect for elders' merges with respect for 'betters', starting with teachers. The Principal of one of the Bangkok Universities (as in a separate thread), defended the compulsory wearing of uniforms by twenty-odd year old students as a necessary pre-requisite for what I can only define as a working life of sub-servience.

This then prepares the population for an existence of not thinking, waiting to be told what to do. Hardly a recipe for a dynamic nation with its eye on improvement and moving forward.

I am convinced that Thai culture, whether tangible or intangible, is the reason for Thailand's problems. The powers that be of any colour are always ahead of the game because the population is already in the 'I am better than you', or perhaps more importantly 'you are better than me', mould.

Which is why this government seems to be 'battening down the hatches' to ensure that the situation continues unchanged.

Apparently I fall foul of the 'opinion' definition so I can only say 'this is what I believe'.