Chiang Mai night life, suggestions please

ttthailand

Have been to Chiang Mai a few times but always with company or on business and too busy to get out on the town. Thinking about going out alone but not really sure where is the best place to go. Where to go for great inexpensive Thai food ? Where do the good girls hang out ? Where do the bad girls hang out ( beer bars, gogos) ? Anything happening at night that I should not miss ?

Thanks guys !!! And girls :)

Summary:

Good girls, but fairly yuppy-ish: Nimmanhaemin. Also good on Fridays/Saturdays: the main pubs along the river, like Riverside. For all of these places it's more suitable to go out with a group of friends.

Bad girls, but fun: Along Loy Kroh; either the area near the moat, or towards the Night Bazar at the Boxing Ring, just before Kamphaeng Din Road.

Best Area (mix of good, bad, alternative, and young foreigners) : the 'Reggae Area' off Ratwithi Road, where Zoe in Yellow and Roots Rock Reggae and Babylon and many others are. (But later at night, don't go before 11pm, 12 better.)

Good Local Scene and Honorable Mention: Santitham and JJ Market. Again better with friends.

After Hours, *extremely* bad, but good : Spicey, opposite Somphet Market on the moat.

Avoid: Fancy looking Karaoke places with pretty girls outside. (Chiang Mai Land, Chang Klan, etc.)

Just walked up Loy Korh.... Interesting

Now heading for Ratwithi. How far up road ?

Thanks for info :)

Summary:

Good girls, but fairly yuppy-ish: Nimmanhaemin. Also good on Fridays/Saturdays: the main pubs along the river, like Riverside. For all of these places it's more suitable to go out with a group of friends.

Bad girls, but fun: Along Loy Kroh; either the area near the moat, or towards the Night Bazar at the Boxing Ring, just before Kamphaeng Din Road.

Best Area (mix of good, bad, alternative, and young foreigners) : the 'Reggae Area' off Ratwithi Road, where Zoe in Yellow and Roots Rock Reggae and Babylon and many others are. (But later at night, don't go before 11pm, 12 better.)

Good Local Scene and Honorable Mention: Santitham and JJ Market. Again better with friends.

After Hours, *extremely* bad, but good : Spicey, opposite Somphet Market on the moat.

Avoid: Fancy looking Karaoke places with pretty girls outside. (Chiang Mai Land, Chang Klan, etc.)

Thanks for info smile.png

Reggae Area is here: 18.790841, 98.990495 ( http://goo.gl/maps/lylJM )

Very late, Spicy is here: 18.791925, 98.993774 ( http://goo.gl/maps/2Kpr9 ) (Google Streetview image is from before they moved back to this location )

Found it smile.png .... But very quiet now 20:00 pm. Maybe later it gets going

Yes.. the earliest you could reasonably go there si 10:30pm; it will still be quiet especially on weeknights, but on Friday and weekends it sometimes make sense to show up 10:30pm or 11 so you can be sure you get a table. (When you're expecting a group)

Why not take a good book, sit in the back of one of those RotDengs for 3 hours as it cruises around picking up and off-loading passengers, from 7pm to 10pm.

No way is it going to be like Tom Cruise on the subway at 3am, but it will be interesting and you are bound to meet a few nice girls.

You can probably work something out with the driver to let you sit on the bench for about 100Baht or something as it cruises around.

Quite a good cheap way to meet many people.

No doubt the driver will let you stop for a beer, or you could use a hip flask.

Don't get too tipsy though,

You will miss the sights.

Found it smile.png .... But very quiet now 20:00 pm. Maybe later it gets going

By now you should be getting quite drunk, or feeling very old, or both. It's a little late to ask, but can you tell the difference between ladyboys and real women when you're drunk? If not, you may have a problem.

Why not take a good book, sit in the back of one of those RotDengs for 3 hours as it cruises around picking up and off-loading passengers, from 7pm to 10pm.

No way is it going to be like Tom Cruise on the subway at 3am, but it will be interesting and you are bound to meet a few nice girls.

You can probably work something out with the driver to let you sit on the bench for about 100Baht or something as it cruises around.

Quite a good cheap way to meet many people.

No doubt the driver will let you stop for a beer, or you could use a hip flask.

Don't get too tipsy though,

You will miss the sights.

Desperate measures !!

Summary:

That`s it. you have just seen all the slenders of Chiang Mai`s night-life.

This is about as exciting as it gets, trust me on this one.

As for the bad girls, or even the good girls, if you can find where they all hide out, please let me know and I`ll come and join you, I`ll even pay for the whole evening.

Besides a few grotty little bars, some restaurants and old granny massage parlours, there really isn`t much else.

As our winnie advises, avoid those Karaoke bars and clubs, they`ll take all your money and beat the crap out of you if you can`t pay. Although unfortunately these days are the only venues that have decent girls.

• Like 1

Summary:

That`s it. you have just seen all the slenders of Chiang Mai`s night-life.

This is about as exciting as it gets, trust me on this one.

As for the bad girls, or even the good girls, if you can find where they all hide out, please let me know and I`ll come and join you, I`ll even pay for the whole evening.

Besides a few grotty little bars, some restaurants and old granny massage parlours, there really isn`t much else.

As our winnie advises, avoid those Karaoke bars and clubs, they`ll take all your money and beat the crap out of you if you can`t pay. Although unfortunately these days are the only venues that have decent girls.

I will have to take your word on that. I have and do not want to have any experience there. They are not only granny massage parlors but then again you have to be really desperate to call a massage parlor night life.

So if OP has woken up yet (Inow 4.30pm) be good to get a blow-by -blow account of his later night out -5555

Not much to tell really. Started out a bit early and checked out the places suggested. I think because so early there was not many people about and few decent looking ladies. Decided to try on Friday night and start a little later. Will give report later.... Thanks guys !
  • Like 1

Good feedback-looking forward to second episode.

Maybe try checking out and chatting up waitresses in coffee bars etc in the day- you may score. Often better lookers than the girls outside karaoke places in Chang Klan etc

Maybe try checking out and chatting up waitresses in coffee bars etc in the day- you may score. Often better lookers than the girls outside karaoke places in Chang Klan etc

The girls outside the karaoke places on Changlan are not lookers, their faces are caked with foundation and overuse of eyeliner, mascara and cheap overpowering perfume. I know they are not lookers because I know one and if you saw her during the day you wouldn't give her a second glance.

• Like 2

The girls outside the karaoke places on Changlan are not lookers, their faces are caked with foundation and overuse of eyeliner, mascara and cheap overpowering perfume. I know they are not lookers because I know one and if you saw her during the day you wouldn't give her a second glance.

uptheos beat me to it. You would never recognize any of them again if say you ran into them at the market. One used to rent a room from the g/f's mother. She was as plain and unattractive as you could imagine. She would start putting the make-up on about 2 hours before she had to be at work. She literally caked it on.

I understand there are clubs in CM called Coyote clubs (sorry if the spelling is incorrect) Is that where you drink too much and take one of the ladies home? When you wake up in the morning with your arm around her you would rather gnaw your own arm off than wake her up !

Uptheos, I wondered where you had gone, you fooled me by changing your avatar and now no one recognises you.

Bring back your Bully Beef character please?

That applies to most women in general - including models and movie stars.

354751-before-and-after-makeup-surprisin

Lots of make up, High Heels, short skirts. combined with a few large changs job done

She looks good at the time LOL just don't wake up with her

haha

As bad as she looks to you in the morning couldn't be nearly as bad as you look to her.

But at least she has some monetary compensation. You don't.

hahaha.

• Like 1

Lots of make up, High Heels, short skirts. combined with a few large changs job done

haha

As bad as she looks to you in the morning couldn't be nearly as bad as you look to her.

hahaha.

Well I guarantee I look way better than you do based on your avatar

I aint one of those that bashes paying for it, she gets what she wants and the purchaser gets what they want its a win win they can both look like shit but each are happy with the result.

haha

hahaha.

I aint one of those that bashes paying for it, she gets what she wants and the purchaser gets what they want its a win win they can both look like shit but each are happy with the result.

Diamond King Scrubs up pretty well with a bit of make up, high heels and a mini skirt..so get your facts right biggrin.png

• Like 1

haha

hahaha.

Diamond King Scrubs up pretty well with a bit of make up, high heels and a mini skirt..so get your facts right biggrin.png

EXACTLY biggrin.png