Beware Fake Golf Clubs, Pattaya.

soon2bexpat

I'd just like to make everyone aware that the "pro shop" (that is used very loosely) downstairs at Greenway Driving Range on Sukkumvit in Pattaya is selling copy / fake clubs and as I found out actually for more than the genuine articles. I was lucky and got a full refund, however I also know of at least one other who brought what he believed to be genuine Japanese clubs which have also turned out to be fakes.

I'd also like to point out that the shop on ground level has absolutely nothing to do with TPR Academy on the first floor, they are completely separate entities.

Curious to know a bit more of the story. What clubs (brand name) did you buy? Was the price one where you believed you were getting a super deal on authentic clubs or did you pay close to the expected retail price on real clubs. The point in asking is not to give a hard time but to understand if they are selling clones/fakes at a fair price or trying to gouge customers. Please understand this is a genuine question, no malice intended.

• Like 2

I have dealt with the owner before and he knows full well if what he sells is genuine or Fakes...He has been in business a long time and golf is his Game of choice..In my opinion he don't care if he sells copys..Money comes first for him so I stopped doing business with him several years ago...

• Like 1

Fake clubs have been in Thailand for over 10 years now. Just about everything in Thailand is fake.

Even big stores which I wont say any names sell fakes. Do they know they are selling fakes, that I'm not sure of.

You just need to be careful.

I would think any sane golfer would have clubs from Shanghai airport or close-by that come out of a different door of the same factory. Not fake just cheaper!

yes and no... maybe high-quality fake golf clubs do exist, but I didn't see any.

My experience after trying a few of them is that most do not possess the physical properties as the originals.

The defects range from wrong or inconsistent swing weight, sweet spot that is off-center or doesn't exist at all, alloys that are too hard or too soft, etc.

I would think any sane golfer would have clubs from Shanghai airport or close-by that come out of a different door of the same factory. Not fake just cheaper!

yes and no... maybe high-quality fake golf clubs do exist, but I didn't see any.

My experience after trying a few of them is that most do not possess the physical properties as the originals.

The defects range from wrong or inconsistent swing weight, sweet spot that is off-center or doesn't exist at all, alloys that are too hard or too soft, etc.

Agreed.

Putters though are basically a lump of metal on a stick. Materials aren't that important, it's all about the shape, so expensive original or cheap copy, they all work the same.

Agreed.

Putters though are basically a lump of metal on a stick. Materials aren't that important, it's all about the shape, so expensive original or cheap copy, they all work the same.

wrong. Precise balancing is very important on putters, as well as the sweet spot, so it is easier to hit consistently.

I once bought a cheap putter, it felt shit from the beginning and never worked in the 18 months I tried to get used to it. And it wasn't even fake!!

As I see it, the club that I think is the least sensitive would be a sand wedge, its function is not to hit the ball, but to scoop the sand out with the ball on top, no need for sweet spots or particular materials to do this.

Edited by manarak

I bought a putter and driver from an online seller (knowing they where copies) I used them for about four months, both the heads fell off within a week of each other LOL. I ended up buying an original version of driver as I liked it.

I also bought a copy set of clubs in Thailand that I would use when visiting on holiday (r7's) used them about four times I ended up giving them away as everytime I hit the ball it shaved off the dimples on the golf ball! became an expensive round of golf.

I've now bought myself a set of used original Pings that are now left in Thailand.

No more copies for me a waste of money.

• Like 1

It is possible to buy used clubs, current or last years models or 2 year old models, at less than half price with the clubs being 98% of new condition(or new in some cases) via several online vendors such as Rockbottom or 3balls. I have done this for years. I have also picked off Ebay taking lots of caution and put together a new set of Honma clubs including bag for about $1800 dollars. That's woods included. Not cheap but compared to full price at a shop not bad but it took 3 months. Granted a couple of the woods have DEMO stamped in the hostel. You can buy Callaway, Taylormade, Nike in like new condition for an iron set $300 or less. Ship in to Thailand by USPS and many times no tax. Why mess with fakes?

Edited by rotary

Curious to know a bit more of the story. What clubs (brand name) did you buy? Was the price one where you believed you were getting a super deal on authentic clubs or did you pay close to the expected retail price on real clubs. The point in asking is not to give a hard time but to understand if they are selling clones/fakes at a fair price or trying to gouge customers. Please understand this is a genuine question, no malice intended.

They were Ping G25's with Carbon shafts, allegedly Japanese specs. They were brought for my wife, but there was always a reason for them to not come home, I managed to get a good look at them and the serial number and thats when I suspected something was not quite right, he was selling them at the same price as genuine ones. I called Ping in the UK and the US to check the numbers and both agents I dealt with confirmed my suspicions. Thats when I went and demanded a full refund. He has also sold a set of Epon copies to someone else my wife knows, who did not suspect they were copies, this was confirmed by an owner of original Epons.

The ones I initially brought were then sold the same day to another mans wife, whether or not they were told they were fakes I have no idea. Initially I was willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but even after pointing out all the differences between original Pings and the copies, he still has fakes sets for sale.

In answer to your questions, they were sold at current market price. Now knowing he is still selling the same ones, I'd be inclined to believe he is price gouging customers, and I would throughly recommend no one to buy anything from that shop.