Abused And Attacked In 24 Hour Restaurant in Soi Ram Butri - Banglamphu

bulmercke

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you? the prince of whales or just a self righteous idiot? Like others have stated you should have just paid the 5 baht. The profit margins in these small family owned restaurants are very small. No way where you justified in your actions regardless of what daughter may have done to you. You wasted everyone time including mine.. Go back home before you waste anyone else's time or worst get your self righteous ass hurt or killed...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually - for your information montereyjp I have lived and worked here for nearly twenty years. And of course I would have paid the five baht. I simply questioned why they were charging five baht for a small glass of ice when I was not only drinking there but also dining. This is the sort of question my wife and other Thais would ask.

No. You were actually questioning them about why they were charging you 5Baht for the 'third' glass of ice. And no, generally a Thai (or for that matter, most normal people) would not have questioned it. They would have understood and agreed.

Also i would add that had there been no other provocation from your side other than what you have told us, the girl was very wrong in being so aggressive and deserved to be punished. She should have just asked you to take your beer and vacate the premises.

Having been in Thailand for 20 years, as I have, you know a bucket of ice is 10 Baht, a bag of ice at 7-11 is 7 Baht, one glass of ice at a restaurant is free if the owner is kind enough to give it to you.

Why on earth did you start over a charge of 5 Baht which was correct?

Sometimes farangs who stay here 20 years, and I include myself, get a little too paranoid about being taken for a ride and so over-react at every tiny perceived overcharging.

I mean, really, how did you expect her to react? She is trying to run a business not a charity.

And getting the police?? That for me is a massive over-reaction. You are lucky that you yourself did not end up getting fined or arrested. Can't you see the big picture?

I completely agree with this post... Actually, i wouldn't get involved with Thai Police even if somebody paid me Thousands of Baht.

If i was concerned about 5 or 10 Baht overcharging, i would rather sit in a Mom & Pop shop and pay the beer at a fair price.

As somebody said in a previous post, the restaurant workers in that area are stressed, having to deal on daily basis with stingy backpackers, the OP was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Of course i am not condoning any violent behaviour, but sometimes it's just better to walk to a better place.

• Like 2

You're lucky the cops did anything at all. Sounds like they went far and above the call of duty. For 16 cents US, you wasted a lot of people's time. Admitted , the girl may have been a psycho, but for 5 baht, accept it and move on. I fear you may be suffering from an advanced case of vaginitis.

• Like 2

Read Schopenhauer's tract: "On Women!"

Extract:

"Nature has made it the calling of the young, strong, and handsome men to look after the propagation of the human race; so that the species may not degenerate. This is the firm will of Nature, and it finds its expression in the passions of women.

This law surpasses all others in both age and power.

Woe then to the man who sets up rights and interests in such a way as to make them stand in the way of it; for whatever he may do or say, they will, at the first significant onset, be unmercifully annihilated. For the secret, unformulated, nay, unconscious but innate moral of woman is:

We are justified in deceiving those who, because they care a little for us,—that is to say for the individual,—imagine they have obtained rights over the species. The constitution, and consequently the welfare of the species, have been put into our hands and entrusted to our care through the medium of the next generation which proceeds from us; let us fulfil our duties conscientiously.

But women are by no means conscious of this leading principle in abstracto, they are only conscious of it in concreto, and have no other way of expressing it than in the manner in which they act when the opportunity arrives.

So that their conscience does not trouble them so much as we imagine, for in the darkest depths of their hearts they are conscious that in violating their duty towards the individual they have all the better fulfilled it towards the species, whose claim upon them is infinitely greater."

(A fuller explanation of this matter may be found in vol. ii., ch. 44, in my chief work, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung.)

5 Baht is an infinitesimally small price to pay to personally experience this trait in full flood.

• Like 1

What a waste of police resources all in the name of getting an apology. Suck it up, Buttercup.

Certainly the police can not force someone to apologize. Assuming your side of the story is completely accurate, the woman obviously over-reacted, although you seem to have carried it to extremes as well (both with the police and your epic saga above), which suggests you may have pushed some buttons in the original encounter.

Anyway she told you ahead of time that the next glass of ice would cost something. They didn't sneak it onto the bill afterwards. If you didn't like it, that's tough. Pay for it or go without. As tinhead said, you got more attention from the police than your situation warranted. Someone was rude to you. Life goes on.

The farang obsession with saving face sometimes goes too far.

Edited by Suradit69

Who are you? the prince of whales or just a self righteous idiot? Like others have stated you should have just paid the 5 baht. The profit margins in these small family owned restaurants are very small. No way where you justified in your actions regardless of what daughter may have done to you. You wasted everyone time including mine.. Go back home before you waste anyone else's time or worst get your self righteous ass hurt or killed...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You sound far more self righteous saying he has wasted "everyones" time. Speak for yourself.

(3) Yes - I guess I have inadvertently omitted a couple of things that upon reflection caused have been contributory factors in setting this woman off

Sometimes it is hard being right all the time....

(It's not really, but I am)

Thanks for the frank and honest reply. To err is Human, to go batsheetmental about when someone does wrong, is Thai....

As you're a long termer here I'd say go back with the wife, clarify that you meant no offence to the stroppy <deleted>, shake hands and strike the place from your list...

Actually - for your information montereyjp I have lived and worked here for nearly twenty years. And of course I would have paid the five baht. I simply questioned why they were charging five baht for a small glass of ice when I was not only drinking there but also dining.

Lived here for 20 years but didn't know that most bars and restaurants charge for ice?

Nowhere I drink gives it for free whether you are drinking and eating or not.

Seems they gave you some for free (it costs them to buy ice remember it's not a case of filling up trays from the tap) twice then simply wanted you to pay for the third glass....completely fair.

I mean 2 beers and a plate of food is hardly big bucks in Soi Rambuttri where big beers can cost as low as 60B and food 35B.

There's only one place I know that's 24hrs in that street and they own multiple restaurants in the area. Being able to open and serve alcohol 24/7 means they probably pay for the privilege if you get what I mean.

Might be why there was no action taken.

I actually don't get why you'd would even query the 5B ice charge. It's definitely a "mai pen rai" moment.

Actually - for your information montereyjp I have lived and worked here for nearly twenty years. And of course I would have paid the five baht. I simply questioned why they were charging five baht for a small glass of ice when I was not only drinking there but also dining.

Lived here for 20 years but didn't know that most bars and restaurants charge for ice?

Nowhere I drink gives it for free whether you are drinking and eating or not.

Seems they gave you some for free (it costs them to buy ice remember it's not a case of filling up trays from the tap) twice then simply wanted you to pay for the third glass....completely fair.

I mean 2 beers and a plate of food is hardly big bucks in Soi Rambuttri where big beers can cost as low as 60B and food 35B.

There's only one place I know that's 24hrs in that street and they own multiple restaurants in the area. Being able to open and serve alcohol 24/7 means they probably pay for the privilege if you get what I mean.

Might be why there was no action taken.

I actually don't get why you'd would even query the 5B ice charge. It's definitely a "mai pen rai" moment.

Why did I read your post with Sylvester Stallone's voice ringing through my head....?

This would not have happened to me as I would have just said "ok" to the 5 baht charge.

On a less relevant note: I would not order a beer at 2 in the afternoon.

It wouldn't happen to me as I wouldn't go to that area. Full of Thai and tourist low life.

(3) Yes - I guess I have inadvertently omitted a couple of things that upon reflection caused have been contributory factors in setting this woman off

Sometimes it is hard being right all the time....

(It's not really, but I am)

Thanks for the frank and honest reply. To err is Human, to go batsheetmental about when someone does wrong, is Thai....

As you're a long termer here I'd say go back with the wife, clarify that you meant no offence to the stroppy <deleted>, shake hands and strike the place from your list...

Well.... After going there twice or thrice to stir troubles with the Police, i would steer clear of the whole Banglamphu area...And i guess it would be difficult to explain to the wife all that mess for 5 Baht ice...

Now, if i ever go to Banglamphu, and some waitress treat me badly... I can understand why..

there is a degree of uniquely western perversity in making such a big deal over the matter, a sense of entitlement over an apology.

i dont see how you were harmed in any way. you were merely insulted and decided to make a big deal of it.

you were just as in the wrong as the woman.

I dont know of any country in the world where it is the police's role to ensure you get the apology you think you deserve.

Had you been injured or wounded beyond your pride mayhap visiting the police would have been justified but unless a real crime was committed i think you were just taking the piss because you could.

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk
  • Like 1

How are you gonna write all that and then not name the place for anyone else to avoid?

Also: I couldn't figure out whether you had drank the beer and ate the food already, but if you hadn't.. no way you should have paid.

whats to avoid, there was no issue until he made a big deal over paying for a 5 baht glass if ice he could just as easily said no thank you to.

Seems to me i would be very unlikely to have a problem in the same situation, but then again the chances of finding me on rambutri or khao san are very low indeed.

Read Schopenhauer's tract: "On Women!"

Extract:

"Nature has made it the calling of the young, strong, and handsome men to look after the propagation of the human race; so that the species may not degenerate. This is the firm will of Nature, and it finds its expression in the passions of women.

This law surpasses all others in both age and power.

Woe then to the man who sets up rights and interests in such a way as to make them stand in the way of it; for whatever he may do or say, they will, at the first significant onset, be unmercifully annihilated. For the secret, unformulated, nay, unconscious but innate moral of woman is:

We are justified in deceiving those who, because they care a little for us,—that is to say for the individual,—imagine they have obtained rights over the species. The constitution, and consequently the welfare of the species, have been put into our hands and entrusted to our care through the medium of the next generation which proceeds from us; let us fulfil our duties conscientiously.

But women are by no means conscious of this leading principle in abstracto, they are only conscious of it in concreto, and have no other way of expressing it than in the manner in which they act when the opportunity arrives.

So that their conscience does not trouble them so much as we imagine, for in the darkest depths of their hearts they are conscious that in violating their duty towards the individual they have all the better fulfilled it towards the species, whose claim upon them is infinitely greater."

(A fuller explanation of this matter may be found in vol. ii., ch. 44, in my chief work, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung.)

5 Baht is an infinitesimally small price to pay to personally experience this trait in full flood.

I now firmly believe that Schopenhauer's treatise "On Women" should be required reading for every bar girl before commencing her employment.

there is a degree of uniquely western perversity in making such a big deal over the matter, a sense of entitlement over an apology.

i dont see how you were harmed in any way. you were merely insulted and decided to make a big deal of it.

I dont know of any country in the world where it is the police's role to ensure you get the apology you think you deserve.

Had you been injured or wounded beyond your pride mayhap visiting the police would have been justified but unless a real crime was committed i think you were just taking the piss because you could.

If you really were a girl, and I weren't married. I'd possibly kiss you on the bottom....(but not near where the poo comes out..only on the cheek - I'm not German)

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

Hi everyone - I thought I would let you know about my very bad experience in Khoa San Road yesterday. Around two o'clock in the afternoon I visited a 24 hour restaurant in Soi Ram Butri - off KSR - and ordered a beer and food. As I normally do I asked for a glass of ice to drink with the beer which was served politely to me by the waiter. However when I asked for a third glass of ice - the glasses were very small - the woman taking orders (the owner's daughter) told me abruptly that it would cost me five baht. I then asked her politely as to why she was charging me when I had already ordered two large bottles of beer and food. With this and without any warning she went into a violent and abusive rage toward me - shouting and yelling - calling me everything under the sun and screaming at me to get out of the restaurant while at the same time she started throwing everything within her reach at me - papper napkin holder - menu holder - ash tray - whatever. The waiter then came between us and she backed off. He asked me to pay the bill and go quickly even though my drink wasn't finished. I said I would pay the bill but insisted I finish the drink on principle. A few moments later the woman again approached me but this time she was brandishing a machete and threatening to attack me.

I then quickly paid the bill and left the restaurant. I then went to ChanaSongkran police station and reported the incident to the officers on duty there. About ten minutes later I accompanied an officer back to the restaurant but instead of receiving an apology - which is all I was asking for - I was instead subjected to a volley of nasty and vitriolic abuse by not only the woman who had attacked me but also her mother - and all this in the presence of the uniformed patrol officer who looked very embarrassed and uncomfortable.

After about ten minutes of enduring this stream of vitriol and abuse the officer and myself returned to the police station. The officer then reported the situation to a senior officer and upon hearing this the three of us returned to the restaurant together. Upon returning the woman and her mother continued to threaten me and call me everything under the sun in Thai. The only difference this time was that the owner of the restuarant was now seated there. To his credit he appeared to be reconciliatory and apologised to me for the woman's behaviour and actions. However - even though I shook his hand and accepted his apology I told the police that what I really wanted was for her - his daughter I think - to apologise to me. That's all I wanted and if she apologised I wouldn't press the matter any further and wouldn't file a complaint.

But she firmly refused and continued ranting and raging together with her mother and there was real hatred in their eyes - I guess because I had had the temerity to return with the police. The two officers then indicated we should all leave the restaurant. Outside the restaurant they then both got on their motorcycle and headed in the direction of the police station without saying anything to me. I think by their actions they simply wanted me to go away and not cause any further 'trouble' for them or the restaurant. Anyway - I walked the short distance back to the police station and again asked to file a police report and official complaint.

But when I re-entered the police station I was surprised to see a woman officer from the tourist police there. I explained to her what had happened to me about an hour earlier and about ten minutes later - together with the station chief and the other senior officer - all four of us returned in a police car to the restaurant although at this time I was worried about my personal safety. They parked outside the restaurant and the two senior officers went into the restaurant. I remained seated in the car with the officer from the tourist police. After about thirty minutes the two officers returned to the car. They then spoke to the woman officer. They told her that the woman who had attacked me was no longer in the restaurant. She then told me that they (the officers) thought I was in the right. And that was it. I never did get an apology from the woman who had attacked me despite three consecutive visits to the restaurant accompanied by the police. Back at the police station the officers refused to do a police report for me. Instead I was given directions to the naerby Tourist Police office on Ratchadamnoen Avenue where I was advised to file a report. And then the Tourist Police Officer left the police staion before I had had a proper chance to talk to her again.

(Earlier I remarked to the tourist officer that I had beforehand tried to call the tourist police but hadn't been able to get through and speak to anyone in person. She mentioned that she had only heard about my case by chance when visiting the police station on a routine afternoon patrol. She also remarked that previously the tourist police had had their own office at Chanasongkran police station but after the renovations at the station there was no longer any room for their office. Unbelievable.)

So, despite being a 20 year veteran, having done multiple tours.. You feel aggrieved why exactly?

Surprised the BiB didn't lock you up for being a public nuisance!

I mean.. Cool story bro.. Send it to Khaosod English Daily or whatever it's called, maybe they'll run with it?

Edited by GrantSmith

If you really were a girl, and I weren't married. I'd possibly kiss you on the bottom....(but not near where the poo comes out..only on the cheek - I'm not German)

you are off the hook, the only thing girlish about me is an unhealthy obsession over drinks with umbrellas in them

So you wasted an entire day going to and from the police station over and over again because of 5 baht and an angry young lady? Get a life man.

I think you've nut-shelled it there dude....

you are off the hook, the only thing girlish about me is an unhealthy obsession over drinks with umbrellas in them

? You've lost me there old bean. Is that some new sort of slang?

The op comes across as the kind of guy, that fly's economy but expects business class service !

oh ! The word i'm lookng for is........obnoxious

i find humour in the fact that he posted his shocking experience here fully convinced that he was indeed 'in the right' only do discover few actually agree with or condone his actions.

to the contrary im rather embarrassed for him

• Like 1