Skype On Pda

groo

Realized that the other option to a true wi-fi skype phone would be a Pocket PC PDA with wi-fi. Install the pocket pc version and run it over a wi-fi network. Anyone has this setup and does it work well?
The sound quality of a PDA’s microphone is not particularly good. It makes you sound as if you were calling from outer space, but I have not experimented much with it; perhaps I should have held the mike closer to my mouth. Use headphones for the incoming sound (I wish that jack would accept a headphone/microphone combination, like it is with mobile phones).

On the whole, it is indeed a valid alternative to a cordless Skype phone.

--------------

Maestro

I've used it with my O2XDAs, works pretty well. Advantage woth the O2 is that is was designed to be a phone in the first place, so quite good speaker and microphone...

I have however let my skype account run empty, savings are not that big anymore after the introduction of the 007 - 008 - 009 prefixes for cheap international calls...

I use a bluetooth headset for skype on my PDA - the main problem with running skype via wifi is the wifi chews through your battery quickly. But you can carry around a cigarette pack sized external battery pack (3300maH ) which you can plug into your PDA to charge or run.

Edited by stumonster

I use a bluetooth headset for skype on my PDA - the main problem with running skype via wifi is the wifi chews through your battery quickly. But you can carry around a cigarette pack sized external battery pack (3300maH ) which you can plug into your PDA to charge or run.

just like monty, your PDA has to be one of those phone PDA's right??

monty, i still find the skype to be a lot cheaper than 008, 009. the quality of which can be quite bad at times. skype just seems to fit the bill. i currently use a USB phone for it but wish i could walk around with a phone instead when i get a call in. dont need to be in front of the com.

I don't think that technically the pda has to be a pda-phone, it's just that those models have the speaker/microphone set up optimal to be used as a phone!

But as Stu said, to receive calls on skype, your pda has to be connected to the wireless network all the time, and this does eat batteries.

My O2 runs about 48 hours on 1 charge, with average pda use and maybe an hour worth of calls and an hour of gprs connection (internet) per day.

When however I'm at some hotspot and connect to that to take advantage of the higher speeds, I can drain the battery in 3-4 hours flat, especially when the wifi signal is not very strong!

My PDA is not a phone in the normal phone sense. It is an axim x50v - wifi , bluetooth , CF , SD and vga. It is about 18 months old and runs WM2003se . but power with wifi running is a big issue . I can only use the standard 1100mah battery as I use a innopocket magnum case for protection and my spare 2200mah battery does not fit with the case.

you can call out via wifi and skype(out) but unless the time was scheduled calling in is not really an option.

fully video conferencing can be achieved with a CF card camera and microsoft portrait though.

I've used it with my O2XDAs, works pretty well. Advantage woth the O2 is that is was designed to be a phone in the first place, so quite good speaker and microphone...

I have however let my skype account run empty, savings are not that big anymore after the introduction of the 007 - 008 - 009 prefixes for cheap international calls...

Hi monty,

what sort of internet connection do you have on your pda?

using skype via pda is a interesting solution for me, can you give more info?

I mean how is, the connection, the quality of the calls etc..

I am not familiar enough with the 02.

Are you connecting via mobile phone network (sim + internet) or wifi spots?

thanks

sami

Edited by samBKK

It only works when connected through a wifi hotspot with decent speed internet and not too many users on-line at the same time...

Even if the wifi hotspot is not set-up with decent bandwidth shaping(as unfortunately most hotspots in Thailand), just only one other user doing a small full speed download can break up your conversation...

I used it on my own wifi access point at home, so I had my private adsl providing the bandwidth, worked perfect then...

The internet we get through our mobile phone network providers (gprs) is too slow and too unstable to support any form of voip. Even the edge system available in Bangkok is not sufficient, theoretically the speed is there, only not stable enough and to much package loss...

Edited by monty

The internet we get through our mobile phone network providers (gprs) is too slow and too unstable to support any form of voip. Even the edge system available in Bangkok is not sufficient, theoretically the speed is there, only not stable enough and to much package loss...

crushdepth experimented calling voip with skype on his PDA ( ipaq ) with an EDGE capable phone tethered on bluetooth when EDGE was first introduced to bangkok . he said he was getting very acceptable call quality to vietnam.

I have not tried it via EDGE ( though I have a 6630 ) - I use GPRS/EDGE quite a lot to browse and check email while out and about though. Sometimes the speed is good , sometimes it crawls or hangs regularly.

I agree with most of the above. Pocket Skype works very well so long as there is a good connection speed between you and the other person. WIFI connections are fine.

I have tried to talk to a friend in Vietnam over an EDGE connection via my mobile phone / bluetooth - we could hear each other but the latency was awful, not good enough for normal use ( I was also in a moving taxi which didnt help).

The sound quality on my HP hx4700 is quite good if you stick it to your head like a normal phone over WIFI (no need for a phone-capable PDA - no advantage at all there) but it rocks if you plug in a set of normal earphones.

My biggest problem is finding people to talk to because most of my Oz friends are a bunch of mortgauge paying dial up modem cheapskates.

Bastards, all of them.

I use a bluetooth headset for skype on my PDA...

... It is an axim x50v...

Mine is the earlier model Axim X50 and you’re right: it works beautifully with my Bluetooth headset. I should have thought of that earlier. Thanks for the hint.

---------------

Maestro

hey great suggestions here. i have wi-fi set up. and yes with the skype-in, can forward calls to the mobile, provided u are at a hot spot.

No need to be at a hot spot for the call to be forwarded to your mobile, the call will be forwarded to your mobile number and Skype will charge you the normal Skype rate from your SkypeIn number to your mobile.