Boric Acid Ant Eliminator - It Works

sante

When those tiny pesky ants began scouting my bed, it was time for

action. None of the ant traps offered in the local stores and Tops

were effective so I finally tried the home made boric acid

solution--boric acid, sugar & water. Amazingly it worked. I put a

capful of the stuff in my kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. I noticed a

reduction after the 1st day and by day 4 all the ants had disappeared.

I even left a sink full of dirty dishes for a few hours as a test and

not one ant made an appearance.

I bought the boric acid at Union Science on Doi Suthep road near the intersection with Nimmanheiman, and paid about 255 baht (forgot the exact price) for 500 grams. My specific recipe isn't repeatable because I didn't pay attention to exact proportions when mixing it up. I really didn't expect it to work.

Next time, when the ants return as I'm sure they eventually will, I'll follow the advice found online at www.food.com/recipe/get-rid-of-ants-ants-ants-203233

The site also includes good tips from people who have used the offered recipe.

My batch did dry up after a day and the powder clumped so had to add more sugar/water mixture and then remix the capful with a toothpick. Using a cotton ball in a jar, as suggested in the online recipe would probably keep the solution effective for a longer time.

do you realize that some thais use it in their cooking(makes food crispy or something), blew me away when I found out, there are 2 types, the one for cooking and the one to kill ants, its stronger. I buy it online from a store in Phuket, works a treat.

It works very well on cockroaches as well. I make a paste of the acid, sugar, flour, and water. The roaches eat it, and return to the nest, where they die. At this point, he is eaten by the other roaches, and they die as well. I leave a little pile of acid lying around, when I see a roach, I roll him around in it, until he is all white, and then release him. He carries the payload back to the nest, for his colleagues to enjoy.

What is Boric Acid in Thai ?

According to my Thai wife, there is no Thai word for boric acid. I also checked the So Sethaputra, English-Thai dictionary - one of the best - and boric acid was listed and defined, but as my wife said, no Thai word for it. So I guess they just call it boric acid, with maybe a slight difference in pronunciation.

I have heard that boric acid was a good ant killer before and I'm looking forward to trying it. Honey and bacon grease are sometimes recommended as well as sugar and water. I'll try them all and see what works best.

According to a previous post on ThaiVisa there is a Thai word for boric acid - กรดบอริก" (kurot buric)

It's that discussion that gave me the idea to try boric acid as an insecticide. After several sleepless nights, hunting ants in my bed with my Kindle light I searched the forums for possible solutions. Here's the link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665024-where-can-i-buy-boric-acid-in-pattaya/?p=6792489&hl=%2Bboric+%2Bacid

But if you buy the powder at Union Science, you don't need the Thai translation.

do you realize that some thais use it in their cooking(makes food crispy or something), blew me away when I found out, there are 2 types, the one for cooking and the one to kill ants, its stronger. I buy it online from a store in Phuket, works a treat.

I'd like to get some of that stuff.

Where in Phuket do you buy it?

Thanks.

I should have taken my meds earlier, I was talking of Borax, not Boric acid even though boric acid is derived from borax, sorry guys for any confusion, will make sure I have taken my pills next time before I put my foot in my mouth.tongue.png

Union Science is going to be selling mostly lab grade chemicals.

They are going to be much more expensive. They are going to be better quality in terms of water content and reliable levels of purity.

Try a place like chemical supplier a few hundred meters to the east on Suthep road. Same side of road.

I don't know if they carry it but if they do its going to be a fraction of the price per kg. I think that shop might carry boric acid.

If your walking by it's a shop with a lot of white ~20 kg sacks piled up. (might not be 20 kg... just a guess)

According to a previous post on ThaiVisa there is a Thai word for boric acid - กรดบอริก" (kurot buric)

It's that discussion that gave me the idea to try boric acid as an insecticide. After several sleepless nights, hunting ants in my bed with my Kindle light I searched the forums for possible solutions. Here's the link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665024-where-can-i-buy-boric-acid-in-pattaya/?p=6792489&hl=%2Bboric+%2Bacid

But if you buy the powder at Union Science, you don't need the Thai translation.

Sorry to give what seemed like misinformation, but the Thai term you quote is a transliteration of "boric", and kurot is acid.

Not important really, the main thing is that we sock it to those ants!

Hello All, you can order/EMS from BKK. I got this in Korat

rice555 PS, they also have borax

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Boric Acid will work to kill off most crawling insects. Loaded into a plastic ketchup squeeze bottle as powder and squirted into the baseboard cracks, behind cabinets, under appliances, etc., it will clear a house of just about anything that crawls. In the case of cockroaches, if they walk through the powder it will not kill them instantly, but allow them time to get back to the nest where they will die and get eaten by their neighbors, who in turn will die and get eaten as well (karma?) quickly killing off the entire nest.

Boric Acid will kill any critter with an exoskeleton just by contact, and if you mix it with any sugar, flour, or grease to attract other insects, kill by ingestion. Exact recipes are NOT needed. Bugs don't give a damn about Michelin Restaurant Ratings.

• Like 1

. Bugs don't give a dam_n about Michelin Restaurant Ratings.

Post of the day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually you would think that but there are several post in the Chiang Mai forum of Cockroach Visa discussing the merits of the different recipes of boric acid available at various households in the neighbourhood - lots of arguments and nasty posts - plus an obligatory rain post ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

. Bugs don't give a dam_n about Michelin Restaurant Ratings.

Post of the day smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually you would think that but there are several post in the Chiang Mai forum of Cockroach Visa discussing the merits of the different recipes of boric acid available at various households in the neighbourhood - lots of arguments and nasty posts - plus an obligatory rain post wink.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you go to any drugstore in Japan to buy Boric Acid, they will give you a printed sheet for 'hosandango,' little cookies that you bake with boric acid, flour, salt, sugar, and grated onion. These become rock-hard after slow baking, and get placed in the back of cupboards, cabinets, behind the fridge, under the sink, etc., to remain in place to kill off any six-legged intruders who may arrive after the first infestation has died off. We just used the 'squirt the powder in the cracks' method, which worked for us. I'll be dammed if I'm going to feed the buggers.

About 40 years ago, some enterprising fellow began selling a 'magic cockroach killer,' peddling it in the various slum neighborhoods in Manhattan. As roaches were pretty much the standard floor covering at night in the tenements in these areas, and regular bug sprays didn't seem to even make a dent in the population, even thoough he was charging about $20 a can for his stuff, once the word got out that it actually worked, everyone was beating a path to his door to buy it...

... until a chemist analyzed the stuff and let the world know that it was just plain boric acid powder. About 50¢ worth for $20. The vendor disappeared quickly.

• 3 weeks later...