York Air con?

Are they any good as they are about the cheapest? Never saw them before today and they have a special offer on 11.900 baht for a small one 9000 btu, bloke in the shop says they use York air at the airports, not sure if that's a good recommendation or not

I've had a York aircon since 2009 its still working but has had some problems.

1 the fan motor on the condenser unit broke, my fault for not drying it off after blasting it with a presure washer doh !!!!!!

300 baht for replacement motor from Amorn.

2 The main PCB control board recently stoped working, again this was after the aircon was cleaned ( not by me this time )

2000 baht for new board.

3 There is as a slow leak in one of the schrader valves allowing refrigerent to leak solved / bodged by putting PTFE tape

on the threads and re fitting the brass cap.

The outdoor unit has over time become quite noisy but the indoor unit is still quiet together they provide a " white noise "

to help drown out the sounds from outside at night.

If it is 11,900 baht including fitting then I'd buy another York.

Edited by johng

I have had four (4) York units in my main house for over five years now. Two are large units for 28 sq-m spaces, other just standard BR types. All working fine with 2x yearly cleaning and checkup. They seem about comparable with the three Samsung units I have in another place. York is well-regarded in USA where central air-con is pretty much the standard.

I've got 7 York split air systems in my Bangkok house...came with the new house almost 6 years ago. Only one has broke once...it's a 18K BTU system the runs pretty much 24/7...the circuit board on the outside condenser unit smoked itself approx. 6 months ago...a gecko/big bug may have caused this problem by crawling around on the board and got vaporized while shorting out the board ....total repair cost approx. 2500 baht for a new circuit board which included the installation cost. Also had a York 48K BTU central A/C unit at my last house in the States...it too also came with a new house...I kept the house for 13 years...had two minor problems where I had to have the condenser fan startup capacitor replaced and the startup contactor/switch replaced at different times...I bought and replaced the startup contactor/switch for about $15 and had a repairman replaced the startup capacitor for about $50 with $40 of that $50 being the labor charge. York condenser units are probably a little noisier than brands like Mitsubishi, but over the years I guess I can say I've had good luck with York A/Cs....knock on wood (my head).

Edited by Pib