Fishing Chiang Rai Style

sceadugenga

The main catch there is tilapia, an introduced species, along with a few catfish.

They grow quite large and aren't bad eating for freshwater fish.

Popular in stocked ponds, this being a dam I suppose that they have been introduced into it.

I went to visit some of my wife's family near Roi Et a couple of years ago, it decided a party was in order and that we needed fish as the main course. I drove my brother-in-law to his farm where he had several fish ponds. He got out of my truck and started a small gas motor next to the pond and then we sat down for a couple of beers. After a half hour the ponds water level was down to less than a foot deep. We walked into the pond and just picked up the fish we needed for the party then reversed the pump and refilled the pond. Issan ingenuity simplest way to fish.

Here is a very old fishing shot from our village. It shows the serenity of fishing in a Thai village.

Fishing+day+at+the+dam..jpg

Looks similar to our Village only once a year. The big dams owned buy the government etc wont allow fishing during the year except for 2 days when its open slather like in this photo.

The dam near our village is free fishing and always open and produces large fish regularly.

Just go south on the old Chiang Mai road.. route 1211, and turn right at the Doi Chaang sign, just after the 21km post.

It's about 5 km, you cannot miss it.