30,000 Thai workers for Qatar?

Lite Beer

I’ve worked in Qatar for 10 years, commuting backwards and forwards to be with my Thai family. There are delinquent employers here, usually very well-connected locally owned firms, but the government has become more vigilant. The main problem is that Qatar maintains its mediaeval exit-permit system and this gives too much power to bosses, and in some cases it is abused.

The reason Thais will be welcome in Qatar is that in common with the Filipinos they are relatively well educated and skilled compared to those coming from other parts of Asia, or from within the Gulf region, most of whom are utterly without any skill of any sort. This accounts for the fact that the general quality of construction in Qatar is low even by Asian standards.

The best days are in the past, wages have stagnated in the last few years, but as there is so little to spend money on it is an ideal place to accumulate savings, even for those on $500-$600 per month. My advice to any Thai who wants to make some money is to go to Qatar with the sole intention of extracting as much money from the local economy as you can while it is still possible- this opportunity will not last forever.

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it certainly has showed us different sides of the conditions there. The one thing I noticed was most of the negative posters were relying on other sources of information. Now I am not and never will be a journalist how ever I do know that to sell news it has to be negative.

It would appear that the people who had actually worked there have a different view. They admit there are occasionally some problems with leaving the country. I have seen that here in Thailand also. Also not a lot of night life or places to spend your money. Now that can be a good point or a bad point depending on why you are there.

Over all it sounds like a lot better deal than picking berries in Finland.

Does any one know who is going to pay the transportation costs and are they going to be competitive prices?

Not necessarily a bad thing, there are people all over the world who will travel away from their families and suffer discomfort in foreign lands for money, I'm sure nany people have done the same here. Dangerous? Sometimes perhaps but you look out fir yourselves and your mates best you can. I know plenty of Thai men who have earned good money in India and the middle east, better than they can get here. Contrary to popular belief Thai men have a good reputation in the construction industry for doing a good days work, many Indians, not so much, and this isn't a racist comment, it's based on experience.

Good luck to them, hope the agencies dont rip them off too much.

It will end up being all Filipinos.

The salari there is 800 dollar a mounth for immigrants.

They only can stay 6 mounths than they have to leave.

East european's don't wont to work there anymore because in Europe you can make easy 3 times double.

They better takes some birmees labor experince and they real work

800 Dollars nepalese and indian workers saw rarely, but they die for free.

Ask yourself, why wouldn't Qatar hire Egyptians, who make 2-5 dollars a day? Because they are Muslims, that's why. Asians are far easier to control. Thais are far less interested to work in the GCC than they were 5 or 10 years ago . This deal is unlikely to come through, but it makes good headlines for both sides. It's not a very nice place to work, even for white collar staff. It got worse since they stopped selling bacon and sausages a few years back. How can one survive without bacon?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are kidding, you should work for a Korean Company, the Korean Companies I worked for, smuggled in Bacon, Pork, and even barbequed dogs in our Camp. Alcohol was strictly banned, that is why it was available everywhere, the Thais and Vietnamese used to brew siddiqui with a very high alcohol content.

The Thai workers are very good, we had 6,000 and they helped build the largest civil construction project in the world in Libya

$800US where did that come from? I know many engineers, welders and other Thai tradesman who earn significantly more than that every month in Qatar. All about the recruiter/company that brings them to Qatar.

So Qatar is looking for a new work force I'm sure there will be many Thai takers, if correct and they are looking for a skilled workforce then they will be treat better than the Nepalese who are non skilled and treat like s*it.

Good luck, it still annoys me that I cant come and go from Qatar with out my employer issuing a exit visa (but the money makes up for that).

Bottom line, people all over the world are prepared to go to dodgy places to earn for their families. Qatari's don't like working, they've always outsourced. Politicians don't care abour poor people, in any country.

The world still turns.

IMHO Qatar isn't as bad as people make out.

You must be one of those Qataries who are too lazy to work

Read CNN home page now

"A *** report in May highlighted allegations by rights groups that thousands of construction workers building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup have been abused, denied their wages and trapped in a situation from which they cannot escape because, under Qatar's visa system, workers cannot leave the country without their employer's consent."

You can add that workers are dropping dead from the poor work conditions and the heat ...

Nor as bad .... u r having a laugh

You should watch the RT version of the story - much more negative of course.

Anyway there are still plenty of Philipinos and Indonesians, so no need for unskilled Thais who don't speak English...

Where are the 30,000 people coming from when Thailand says near everyone is employment and a shortage of local workers ?????/ or as I have stated before unemployment figures like other stats are near untrue or not possible to obtain, therefore guessed ??

Let me explain the system in Thailand, as I my company employed 6,000 Thai workers in Libya.

Why send 30,000 Thai Workers to Qatar when there is a labour shortage here? The answer if simple, the overseas labour employment agencies, licenced by the Ministry of Labour, charge each worker a considerable sum in order to obtain the job. Similarly, there are fees charged for Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers to obtain jobs in Thailand. Considerable "incentives" would be lost if the Ministry stopped Thai workers going overseas and other nationalities coming here to make up the resulting shortage of Thai labour.

If no one is out of work how can you recruit workers-30,000. ??? I understand the rest of your post.

You cannot send if you don't have. I am trying to believe what stats Thai give out--zero unemployment. I cannot have my mother in law clean my house if I don't have in laws.

The skilled workers have jobs, but if offered 2 to 3 times the salary, with meals and accommodation free, there is no trouble recruiting. Do you have to be out of work before you look for a new job? Of course not. Offered twice the salary you would leave your job too. Is that so hard to understand?

Bottom line, people all over the world are prepared to go to dodgy places to earn for their families. Qatari's don't like working, they've always outsourced. Politicians don't care abour poor people, in any country.

The world still turns.

IMHO Qatar isn't as bad as people make out.

You must be one of those Qataries who are too lazy to work

Read CNN home page now

"A *** report in May highlighted allegations by rights groups that thousands of construction workers building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup have been abused, denied their wages and trapped in a situation from which they cannot escape because, under Qatar's visa system, workers cannot leave the country without their employer's consent."

You can add that workers are dropping dead from the poor work conditions and the heat ...

Nor as bad .... u r having a laugh

You should watch the RT version of the story - much more negative of course.

Anyway there are still plenty of Philipinos and Indonesians, so no need for unskilled Thais who don't speak English...

The Pinoys are Cheap Engineering staff. Thais are employed as craftsman, jobs that the Pinoys do not want to do because they do not get paid enough. The hands on skilled construction staff are Thai. Thai welders are amongst the best in the world. As for language, Qatar's main language is Arabic, many Thais can speak some English and those from the South of Thailand speak Arabic. Unskilled workers are usually Bangladeshis and Pakistanis. I would add that the 6,000 Thais we employed never had a problem with dropping dead from the heat. I have worked in the desert alongside them at up to 55C, what's the problem. Thais like the heat, that is why the put on woolly hats and gloves when the temperature here drops to 26C.

Skilled or semi-skilled Thais? I have never seen any.

What about all the thais working in the car plants that is classified as semie skilled.Plenty making jewelery all over the country,and all industry has thais in skilled and semie skilled roles.Loads of craftmen making all kinds of products.

You must not get out much.

This story is just as bizarre as the many similar headline catchers in Thailand. 40,000 sent to Libya, 42,000 sent to Syria, 40,000 rescued from Libya, 42,000 rescued from Syria and now a new contract to send 30,000 to Qatar. Up 2 million Cambodians employed in Thailand? What highly skilled Thai Techniciansand good technical people, or skilled workers?

When I worked in Saudi Arabia I supervised Filipino workers. Every day Filipinas travelling to the airports going home on leave and just as many Filipina souls arriving for their 3 month stint. Where are these myriads of Thais Criss Xing the World on their way too and from work in distant lands.

Where are the press article on Thai workers fleeing Al Qaeda in Syria? Thais that were fleeing the Nato bombing in Libya. Where are these armies of high tech Thai technical workers and the records of their exedosi?

Where are the 30,000 people coming from when Thailand says near everyone is employment and a shortage of local workers ?????/ or as I have stated before unemployment figures like other stats are near untrue or not possible to obtain, therefore guessed ??

Well, the 30,000 workers probably come from the automotive industry which is suffering from a huge overcapacity at the moment, due to the terrific car-buy scheme of last year.

This scheme caused a very strong demand of 1,200,000 cars in a short period and a cancellation of approx. 100,000 cars because of financial reasons. Those cars were produced and are still in stock at factories and dealers.

Auto Alliance (Ford/Mazda) in Rayong has serious plans to close for 2 weeks and other car-manufacturers will follow.

So, plenty of semi-skilled and skilled workers on offer.

hahaha

construction

my god if i see how moo bahn is constructed here... hope they are earthquake proof and ready to rebuild everything after a few years

nothing build by a thai or in thailand is ment to last very long

and why quatar is not looking in their neighboor countries? for marrocans or whatever, as they invade my home country and hardly work .... they could help their muslim brothers

or is thailand sending 30.000 people from the south overthere :)

Skilled or semi-skilled Thais? I have never seen any.

What about all the thais working in the car plants that is classified as semie skilled.Plenty making jewelery all over the country,and all industry has thais in skilled and semie skilled roles.Loads of craftmen making all kinds of products.

You must not get out much.

I suppose you are right. I had a skilled worker change the tire on my motorbike yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...

Minimum salari in thailand is 9000 about 300 dollar who go work for 500 dollar in 50 celsius for 400 dollar.

I work there 3 months a year and the lowest pays on the moment are the indian and pakistani's they get 700 dollar.

I work above 200 meter and we have some welders they get 400 dollar yes but is for 1 day work.

Time is change

The salari there is 800 dollar a mounth for immigrants.

They only can stay 6 mounths than they have to leave.

East european's don't wont to work there anymore because in Europe you can make easy 3 times double.

They better takes some birmees labor       experince and they real work

"3 times double"

Would that be 6 then? 6 times more?

Qatar migrant workers 'treated like animals' - Amnesty

This is the report on today's BBC news website.

Nepalis working in the new airport being paid 100 UK pounds/month.

gg

Can sombody stop this guy in few days he will tell that the thais go there like vulanteers cheesy.gif

I wonder if he (Chalerm) can be charged with human trafficing? or is this one of those inter goverenment Memorandum of understanding, Labour for oil maybe?whistling.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/08/world/singapore-journal-nightmare-death-fells-thais-and-nations-bicker.html?src=pm

Thai construction workers do not travel well. The Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome in Singapore late 80, early 90s has never been fully explained. I hate to think what might happen to them in Qatar. Forget importing labour....move the World Cup to Melbourne or London or Beijing