30,000 Thai workers for Qatar?

Lite Beer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself, why wouldn't Qatar hire Egyptians, who make 2-5 dollars a day? Because they are Muslims, that's why. Asians are far easier to control. Thais are far less interested to work in the GCC than they were 5 or 10 years ago . This deal is unlikely to come through, but it makes good headlines for both sides. It's not a very nice place to work, even for white collar staff. It got worse since they stopped selling bacon and sausages a few years back. How can one survive without bacon?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Word of advice to Thais considering employment in Qatar....DON'T DO IT. You will be forced to live like a pig, have your passport taken off you, be forced to work under the hot sun in 50 degree temperatures, and you will make very little money if you make it home alive.

Two of the biggest sand washing plants have recently been built and commissioned in Qatar by a Northern Ireland firm. Each plant does 1200 tonnes of washed sand per hour for the construction boom happening there. I'm not surprised they're short of labour.

But what if 30,000 Thai people don't want to go there?

Ask yourself, why wouldn't Qatar hire Egyptians, who make 2-5 dollars a day? Because they are Muslims, that's why. Asians are far easier to control. Thais are far less interested to work in the GCC than they were 5 or 10 years ago . This deal is unlikely to come through, but it makes good headlines for both sides. It's not a very nice place to work, even for white collar staff. It got worse since they stopped selling bacon and sausages a few years back. How can one survive without bacon?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are kidding, you should work for a Korean Company, the Korean Companies I worked for, smuggled in Bacon, Pork, and even barbequed dogs in our Camp. Alcohol was strictly banned, that is why it was available everywhere, the Thais and Vietnamese used to brew siddiqui with a very high alcohol content.

The Thai workers are very good, we had 6,000 and they helped build the largest civil construction project in the world in Libya.

• Like 2

Where are the 30,000 people coming from when Thailand says near everyone is employment and a shortage of local workers ?????/ or as I have stated before unemployment figures like other stats are near untrue or not possible to obtain, therefore guessed ??

Let me explain the system in Thailand, as I my company employed 6,000 Thai workers in Libya.

Why send 30,000 Thai Workers to Qatar when there is a labour shortage here? The answer if simple, the overseas labour employment agencies, licenced by the Ministry of Labour, charge each worker a considerable sum in order to obtain the job. Similarly, there are fees charged for Burmese, Lao and Cambodian workers to obtain jobs in Thailand. Considerable "incentives" would be lost if the Ministry stopped Thai workers going overseas and other nationalities coming here to make up the resulting shortage of Thai labour.

If no one is out of work how can you recruit workers-30,000. ??? I understand the rest of your post.

You cannot send if you don't have. I am trying to believe what stats Thai give out--zero unemployment. I cannot have my mother in law clean my house if I don't have in laws.

I feel sorry for the Thais who go there. They will be treated like you know what. All labourers in gulf states are treated the same, i've seen it. And when they arrive and get there visas issued they will be stuck there.

• Like 1

Slavework there. The thai workers have to substitute the dead nepalese and indian slaves engaged for the buildings of the football WM.

I think the government vowed to fight human trafficking, but at the same time they promote modern slavery.

Not sure what your beef is with Qatar but it has nothing to do with skilled workers being needed.

What is surprising is that the Thai minister of labor would even consider such a proposal with the low out of work statistics in Thailand and why would Qatar come to Thailand looking for people with those skills. I am sure there are many in Europe qualified to do the different jobs they are looking to fill.

You will have to excuse me I have not been to Qatar and do not know if they want shoddy workmanship such as is widely available in Thailand or Quality work which is widely available in Europe. Even America and Canada has qualified people to fill the positions.

• Like 1

who talking here about statistic of employment or unemployment, the goverment doesnt have any clue how many people are looking for a job, how many are unemployed, because where is no registration you can not count, hundred thousand of bar girl and karaoke girls working withput registration, insurance and tax, all this must be count like unemployed, thai people changing a job minimum 1x a year, company never ask goverment for support or offer open places to a goverment office, even here in CM thousands of people working under minimum income, earning 5, 6, or 7000 Baht a month, nobody in this goverment has a clue about the unemployment situation in Thailand, same like about other figures like rice scheme and so on

I have been posting same for years, but some posters argue that the figures are genuine, get out more I say to them...If only I could believe the stats. !!!!!!- or the input for stats regarding unemployment.

Not necessarily a bad thing, there are people all over the world who will travel away from their families and suffer discomfort in foreign lands for money, I'm sure nany people have done the same here. Dangerous? Sometimes perhaps but you look out fir yourselves and your mates best you can. I know plenty of Thai men who have earned good money in India and the middle east, better than they can get here. Contrary to popular belief Thai men have a good reputation in the construction industry for doing a good days work, many Indians, not so much, and this isn't a racist comment, it's based on experience.

Good luck to them, hope the agencies dont rip them off too much.

If any Thai can go abroad for more money good for them, as then they can in future enrich their lives.

But so many go to get extra money for SOME lazy parents, and the kids will NEVER see that given money. One other point I mentioned earlier how can you get 30,000 to go as their are no persons available-as Thai have near no unemployed---suddenly beam up some Thais-or a population explosion and all will be born 21 years old to then send to Middle East. ?????

Possibly because the number is bunkum? Employed and under employed and unemployed are not obvious concepts in Thailand. If you consider selling water heaters in homepro employment, tripling your monthly salary in Qatar might be a plan. Stiebel probably has 1k reps nationwide.

Thailand is full of non jobs where a body occupies a place, but contributes little or nothing. Bit like yingluck sometimes.

"Bit like Yingluck sometimes"

My opinion only. But I feel you are being way to generous to her.

After the recent reports of the treatment of the Napalese workers in Qatar ...

if Thailand send any workers to Qatar then they are promoting slave labor.

Some how I got the feeling they were not looking for ditch diggers.

Speaking of slave labor what is your opinion of the 22 year old son in his fathers rice paddy?

Qatar needs new slaves. Over half the promised salary they keep for expenses, pasports are taken, living conditions are close to being in prison. How many workers left at the end of the contract, never to return? And why do their governments strongly advise their citizens NOT to go there? It seems the Thaksin-clan has no objections selling Thai workers to the arabs. After all, doesn't the fugitive have shelter with that arab lot? Another way to please his hosts and make money from Thais.

• Like 1

who talking here about statistic of employment or unemployment, the goverment doesnt have any clue how many people are looking for a job, how many are unemployed, because where is no registration you can not count, hundred thousand of bar girl and karaoke girls working withput registration, insurance and tax, all this must be count like unemployed, thai people changing a job minimum 1x a year, company never ask goverment for support or offer open places to a goverment office, even here in CM thousands of people working under minimum income, earning 5, 6, or 7000 Baht a month, nobody in this goverment has a clue about the unemployment situation in Thailand, same like about other figures like rice scheme and so on

They don't have a lot of people willing to work at minimum wage. That's why they aren't unemployed. They are willingly not in the market.

The salari there is 800 dollar a mounth for immigrants.

They only can stay 6 mounths than they have to leave.

The actual money they receive at the end of the month (they are often paid late as well) is approximately 400 - 450 US dollars.

Many of the workers have been here (Qatar) for 2 years +

Pardon me but you talk like a person on the scene. Not one who reads the Nation and takes it to be gospel.

Could you clarify how many of the 30,000 are needed for architecture, engineering, technical experts and crew on the country air lines.

How many just for manual work? A bit of a stretch I suppose to ask of you but you seem to have first hand knowledge.

Also what is the cost of living for these people. Is there perks over and above the salaries?

When you say many of the workers have been there for 2 years plus I wonder why if the conditions are as bad as some here would have us believe. Also the ones who have been there 2 years plus how many are Thais?

For the rest of them is the working conditions and life a step up from what they have at home?

A lot to ask but I for one am interested in the on the scene point of view.

Thank You.

• Like 1

More than half the promised money will be withheld for expenses. Living conditions will be close to being in prison. Working conditions in most countries will be considered as criminal. Medical care is marginal. Passports are being taken, so there's no running home.

A few months ago I watched a bbc documentary about thousands of Sri

Lankan workers being held as slaves in one of those gulf states. Their government now strongly advises it's citizens against going to work there. The Pakistani workers found out the same years ago.

Yet the Thaksin-clan is willing to try to ship 30 thousand Thai slaves to Qatar. As cabin crews???? As engineers???? Dream on.

It's just another scheme of the missunderstood fugitive to please his arab hosts and make more money over the backs of decent Thai workers. The Thaksin-clan doesn't care crap about the Thai people.

When oh when will the Thai voters finally see the true nature of the beast?

Bottom line, people all over the world are prepared to go to dodgy places to earn for their families. Qatari's don't like working, they've always outsourced. Politicians don't care abour poor people, in any country.

The world still turns.

IMHO Qatar isn't as bad as people make out.

Bottom line, people all over the world are prepared to go to dodgy places to earn for their families. Qatari's don't like working, they've always outsourced. Politicians don't care abour poor people, in any country.

The world still turns.

Right.

But for some people working there it is the jail and sometimes the hell.

Edited by lungmi

The world still turns.

You must be one of those Qataries who are too lazy to work

Read CNN home page now

"A *** report in May highlighted allegations by rights groups that thousands of construction workers building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup have been abused, denied their wages and trapped in a situation from which they cannot escape because, under Qatar's visa system, workers cannot leave the country without their employer's consent."

You can add that workers are dropping dead from the poor work conditions and the heat ...

Nor as bad .... u r having a laugh

The world still turns.

You must be one of those Qataries who are too lazy to work

Read CNN home page now

"A *** report in May highlighted allegations by rights groups that thousands of construction workers building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup have been abused, denied their wages and trapped in a situation from which they cannot escape because, under Qatar's visa system, workers cannot leave the country without their employer's consent."

You can add that workers are dropping dead from the poor work conditions and the heat ...

Nor as bad .... u r having a laugh

No, and I don't believe everything I read either. I've worked there, have you?

I did not work there, but wanted to go to a specific construction site to go have a look at the progress. I couldn't even come close. But i could see the faces of the asian workers around the place. Over a year later I watched a bbc documentary about Sri Lankan workers there. Parts of it were filmed secrely, as the authorities would have never allowed it. Crying men claiming they are not criminals nor animals. They wanted tomgo home but were not allowed to.

I believe what the docu showed and whatbwas said in it.

Not necessarily a bad thing, there are people all over the world who will travel away from their families and suffer discomfort in foreign lands for money, I'm sure nany people have done the same here. Dangerous? Sometimes perhaps but you look out fir yourselves and your mates best you can. I know plenty of Thai men who have earned good money in India and the middle east, better than they can get here. Contrary to popular belief Thai men have a good reputation in the construction industry for doing a good days work, many Indians, not so much, and this isn't a racist comment, it's based on experience.

Good luck to them, hope the agencies dont rip them off too much.

Agreed. There is a considerable Thai construction workforce in UAE - several thousand. They are popular with the employers because they do a good days work and tend to stay in camp and keep out of trouble. All the issues I saw there were with Pakistanis or Indians. The Thais, Nepalese, Bangladeshis, etc were much less trouble.

• Like 1

I did not work there, but wanted to go to a specific construction site to go have a look at the progress. I couldn't even come close. But i could see the faces of the asian workers around the place. Over a year later I watched a bbc documentary about Sri Lankan workers there. Parts of it were filmed secrely, as the authorities would have never allowed it. Crying men claiming they are not criminals nor animals. They wanted tomgo home but were not allowed to.

I believe what the docu showed and whatbwas said in it.

BBC - must be true then whistling.gif

I have worked several times in Qatar. Like KSA and some other countries people on employment visas must have written approval from their employer/visa sponsor to leave the country. The UAE relaxed that several years ago. This is to make sure people honour their contracts and don't leave without settling all outstanding debts etc.

I visited a labour camp in August. Yes, like an army barracks. 6 to a chalet type room for sleeping. All meals, drinking water, tea, mile provided. All chalet's air conditioned (solar powered), sports available - 5 a side soccer, basketball and table tennis. Laundry services provided free on site by a laundry staff (apparently saves a huge amount in water and power doing it this way). Downside - all male, no real social areas other than the sports, miles from anywhere with no public transport. An all male camp, with differing nationalities requires security - the camp boss was a very big imposing guy and had a sizeable security force to make sure there were no problems.

Qatar Health and Safety check the conditions in the camps and facilities on site. I saw one construction site threatened with closure because of failing to provide adequate air conditioning in the canteen/rest room. H&S gave them a warning, went back - still not done. So they gave them 24 hrs and went back. Checked it was installed, working and monitored a couple of breaks.

I'm sure there are not so good examples - as there are in all countries. I've spoken to many expats in Qatar - European, American, African, Indian, Chinese, Pakistanis, Nepalese, even one Jamaican. Not one was unhappy there or desperate to leave due to the poor conditions.

• Like 1

True that (tv) journalists are mainly interested in matters that do not go well. Then again I do think the BBC journalism is way much better than most others that reach me. And taking away passports from workers as a rule is quite suspicious as is. The footage I watched was not some sort of setup.

Without trying to impose my personal (western-christian) standards upon other cultures, I was shocked by what I saw. Seems to fit in with the ghastly reports of how aupairs and maids often are being treated in those arab countries.

True that (tv) journalists are mainly interested in matters that do not go well. Then again I do think the BBC journalism is way much better than most others that reach me. And taking away passports from workers as a rule is quite suspicious as is. The footage I watched was not some sort of setup.

Without trying to impose my personal (western-christian) standards upon other cultures, I was shocked by what I saw. Seems to fit in with the ghastly reports of how aupairs and maids often are being treated in those arab countries.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/25/revealed-qatars-world-cup-slaves