Thai teens arrested for battery after slapping elderly foreigner on the head with shoe

webfact

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A right couple of morons. 500 baht fine for assault though is ridiculous.

I'd love to see the 'Stocks' brought back. Just imagine the 'total loss of face' for a Thai to have to endure having rotten fruit and rubbish thrown at them in the full knowledge that everybody their would recognise them. Great pity that this is not implemented around the world rather than the politically correct sentences handed out to do so called 'Community Work'. But of course we have to be kind to the perpetrators of crime according to the blxxdy physcologists, otherise they will be 'scarred for life', what a load of crap !

For crying out loud: This was a prank!!rolleyes.gif

Not an attack on the son of a holocaust survivor!

Not an attack on the white man!

Not disrespecting the elderly!

Someone dared him. And he was brave/stupid enough to do the stunt. Ofcourse it was more fun/daring with a farang. All while his friends took the video and posted it on u-tube.

Reading the replies here, I wonder if the average age on Thaivisa is 90+ coffee1.gif

Totally agree --- it was just a prank -- no harm done -- we were young as well and also played pranks which were probably funny only to ourselves.

When I read "elderly" I thought the bloke was 85 not out, but he's merely just over half a ton. A youngster by Thai farang population standards. He should have given chase and given the boys a good seeing to himself. Buf than again he is Italian so the natural response to agression was to put his hands up........

• Like 1

Most of these comments, shit have you not got anything else worth doing guys. I hope I do not get that desperate to spend my time commenting on shit like this, they were doing a prank, he did not think it was that bad by not reporting it at the time.

this is just more discrimination against foreigners in Thailand. we pay double to tour museum's go to parks, get medical in a hospital, we are not allowed to own a small piece of land to build a house, I spend more then 70,000 bhat every month and I am not allowed to go inside 50% of places in sattahip. And it is embarrassing when all my friends and family tour a old aircraft carrier that England or Australia donated to Thailand but I cannot go with them and have to wait outside.

we foreigners need to hire lawyers to fight this discrimination. Thailand wants our money but they do not want us

Well, it is clear that you are not allowed to go into military areas.

You could be a spy. If you report the readiness and condition, Cambodia (or San Marino, or the Vatican) may invade tomorrow.

Most enemies of Thailand are Asian. so wouldn't it make more sense to ban Asian visitors, and let white foreigners have a look round?

• Like 1

When I read "elderly" I thought the bloke was 85 not out, but he's merely just over half a ton. A youngster by Thai farang population standards. He should have given chase and given the boys a good seeing to himself. Buf than again he is Italian so the natural response to agression was to put his hands up........

****Previously deleted post edited out****

Easy Tiger

This story is nothing to do with a Farang doing this to a Thai so why bring it up?

If these Schoolkids really were "racist idiots" do you think they would have just gave this man a gentle tap on the head with a Flip Flop?

I am not a Thai apologist, I just see this incident as it really is, a harmless schoolboy prank which even the old guy didn't bother to report until he saw the clip on Youtube

Get over yourself

Yes I have been here a longtime, I could tell you how long but what's the point?

If you are being shown hatred and contempt by Thais then maybe you need to question yourself and your attitude towards them?

"This story is nothing to do with a Farang doing this to a Thai so why bring it up?"

Why bring it up? Because it involves a Farang and a Thai(2), and the desire to see justice. As foreigners here we are constantly told (ordered) to show respect for the Thais and their customs (failure to do so could see you dead or in jail), and yet the Thais seem not to want to reciprocate, as is illustrated by this case. Everyone one has a right not be harassed or attacked in such a way, and regardless of the specific scenario (Thai on Farang/Farang on Thai) each should bare equal treatment under the law. Sadly this is most often not the case here for foreigners (but this is a happy exception). You have use the "other side of the coin" arguement i.e "what if it had been the other way around" in order to show this inequality and how differently we are treated.

"a gentle tap on the head with a flip-flop".

It doesn't matter whether it was a "gentle tap" or not. The fact is he touched the man's head with an item of footwear, which is seen as a gross insult here. Racist attacks can be carried out in many ways, from non-physical verbal abuse/name-calling (doesn't have to be loud or aggressive), to murder. The pair may have also said a few choice words during the assault (admittedly I don't know yet as I haven't watched the actual video). In the UK (and probably the rest of Europe and the US/Canada) you only have to be "overheard" by a passer-by using the "N" word in a locker room or in the street for someone to make a police complaint against you for racism (even if you were whispering and were not directing it at anyone in particular).

"Yes I have been here a longtime, I could tell you how long but what's the point?"

So why mention it then?

Oh, and just how and why should I get over myself? I'm happy as I am....a TIGER!

• Like 1

Maybe these boys had a bad experience with another foreigner and wanted to take out their frustrations on someone they thought was more helpless.

Of course here, with the well known fact that you can't touch a Thai person's head, let alone with a shoe...Here, that is considered the lowest of the low, most disrespectful acts you could commit towards a Thai person. The fact that they did this to a foreigner shows that they have no respect for foreigners nor elderly foreigners.

This also makes me think that young Thais, maybe more than we think, are starting to rebel against the strict customs and laws in this country. Which I think is healthy in a way. However the way that they displayed their disagreement is completely disgusting and they should be given a good talking to as well as being put in jail for the weekend...or community service....for an elderly foreigner

When I was a kid I used to crank call strangers from the phone book with my friend. What is this world coming to???annoyed.gif

• Like 1

Two Thai teens embarrass an old foreign visitor, then the Thai police embarrass him a bit more.

Would have been nice to see the Thai police embarrass the Thai teens in return.

They could have thought of something suitable, if they had wanted.

Whack on the head each with a flip flop covered in dog pooh would have done it for me.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Konstantine, I'm to old for such stupid prank. But, i was once a young guy too. Me and my friends did also some stupid things. Even worse. But we never got presented to the press like a felon. Every day really evil things happen in Thailand. Some of them are free to go because of bribe or connections to influential peoples.

I'm happy i did enjoy my youth in a western country.

So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

Most of these comments, shit have you not got anything else worth doing guys. I hope I do not get that desperate to spend my time commenting on shit like this, they were doing a prank, he did not think it was that bad by not reporting it at the time.

Sorry too late, you have.

• Like 2

A 500 baht fine for hitting an old man on the head?

I hope their parents beat the siht out of them.

You know that will never happen. Thai parents never discipline their kids. This is the main reason that they are the way they are when adults. . There is never going to be "a fair shake " here. If a farang had done the same the fine would have been 20,000, not 500. Thai teenagers have absolutely no respect for elders, even though their culture dictates that they should. It will never ever change.

Personally I would only have accepted the appology if he was willing to re-enact the offence on his father while I filmed it for putting on YouTube.

I guarantee he would not sit down for a month then.

Agree-with a slight alteration, BOTH parents should have to take the blame, than get a 500 bht tea money contribution. This is so normal for kids to do these types of stunts, as parental GOOD teaching is so lacking here in los. Ground the kids in the home, take away mobiles computers, set an example. Sorry I forgot Most Thai parents have no Idea. Kick the parents r-ses, the only way to cure the kids.

come on these are just kids out for a bit of fun-hardly a damaging thing to do-I agree its not nice, and it is very disrespectful but its hardly a hanging offence. What I really resent about this story is that 58 is considered elderly! phhhht!

Read the "The dummies book on Thai etiquette" again.

Thais expect us to conform to their customs when we visit here.

Ok for your stupid noggin to get slapped in public by a over confident teenager in Australia and if so we would all laugh at your reaction to it.

But here in Thailand to show such disrespect to an elder is just not on.

poor man was on his way to the bank to pay sin sot for the boy's sister

Konstantine, I'm to old for such stupid prank. But, i was once a young guy too. Me and my friends did also some stupid things. Even worse. But we never got presented to the press like a felon. Every day really evil things happen in Thailand. Some of them are free to go because of bribe or connections to influential peoples.

I'm happy i did enjoy my youth in a western country.

So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong.

They are 16 years old. That's old enough to know better. They are not children, they are young adults. Thais are "taught" from a very young age (4 or 5) how to behave with regard to showing respect towards other Thais and their owns customs/culture. My 7-year-old Thai stepson knows not to behave this way.

I'm glad you enjoyed your youth in a Western country. I did too. But we are in a different world here. I agree with another poster's comments that Thai youth could (finally) be rebelling against their claustrophbic, suffocating culture which just stokes anger and resentment. But they should take it out on their own, not an elderly foreigner walking by.

• Like 2

The 500 baht fine is pathetic, and almost shows just as much disrespect to the foreigner as the incident itself.

The kudos these little yobbos will get from their peers will be huge, and I can genuinely see a wave of copycats happening.

B500 is a significant amount when you consider that is more than one days wages, Western equivalent to B5000, or US $140. Most Thai parents will not take that lightly.

****Previously deleted post edited out****

Easy Tiger

This story is nothing to do with a Farang doing this to a Thai so why bring it up?

If these Schoolkids really were "racist idiots" do you think they would have just gave this man a gentle tap on the head with a Flip Flop?

I am not a Thai apologist, I just see this incident as it really is, a harmless schoolboy prank which even the old guy didn't bother to report until he saw the clip on Youtube

Get over yourself

Yes I have been here a longtime, I could tell you how long but what's the point?

If you are being shown hatred and contempt by Thais then maybe you need to question yourself and your attitude towards them?

"This story is nothing to do with a Farang doing this to a Thai so why bring it up?"

Why bring it up? Because it involves a Farang and a Thai(2), and the desire to see justice. As foreigners here we are constantly told (ordered) to show respect for the Thais and their customs (failure to do so could see you dead or in jail), and yet the Thais seem not to want to reciprocate, as is illustrated by this case. Everyone one has a right not be harassed or attacked in such a way, and regardless of the specific scenario (Thai on Farang/Farang on Thai) each should bare equal treatment under the law. Sadly this is most often not the case here for foreigners (but this is a happy exception). You have use the "other side of the coin" arguement i.e "what if it had been the other way around" in order to show this inequality and how differently we are treated.

"a gentle tap on the head with a flip-flop".

It doesn't matter whether it was a "gentle tap" or not. The fact is he touched the man's head with an item of footwear, which is seen as a gross insult here. Racist attacks can be carried out in many ways, from non-physical verbal abuse/name-calling (doesn't have to be loud or aggressive), to murder. The pair may have also said a few choice words during the assault (admittedly I don't know yet as I haven't watched the actual video). In the UK (and probably the rest of Europe and the US/Canada) you only have to be "overheard" by a passer-by using the "N" word in a locker room or in the street for someone to make a police complaint against you for racism (even if you were whispering and were not directing it at anyone in particular).

"Yes I have been here a longtime, I could tell you how long but what's the point?"

So why mention it then?

Oh, and just how and why should I get over myself? I'm happy as I am....a TIGER!

Give your head a wobble

Who exactly is ordering you to respect Thai Culture? I don't see any signs anywhere? I have never been ordered to off the Police or Immigration so who exactly is ordering you?

We are not ordered at all, we simply show respect for other peoples country as we would do in any country

We know the rules here and respect them again as we would do in our own or any other country

We are not in the UK or the rest of Europe so why bring that up? It has nothing to do with Thailand

It was a simple prank and nothing more have seen it happen elsewhere in Thailand

No words were used, you haven't actually watched the video have you so how can you determine it was Racist? At least watch it before you make silly comments

When you have finished wobbling your head maybe you can get off your PC soapbox, all this "it"s racist" <deleted> you are spouting is exactly that, total <deleted>

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

This is not about the amount of damage caused by being hit on the head with a shoe, it is about the ultimate insult that a thai can inflict on another person in this country. Thais are entitled to do this to farangs, however, even though they know nothing, are completely devoid of honesty and decency, by virtue of the fact that they can speak thai and are therefore superior to all other nations.

• Like 1