Thai teens arrested for battery after slapping elderly foreigner on the head with shoe

webfact

For crying out loud: This was a prank!!rolleyes.gif

Not an attack on the son of a holocaust survivor!

Not an attack on the white man!

Not disrespecting the elderly!

Someone dared him. And he was brave/stupid enough to do the stunt. Ofcourse it was more fun/daring with a farang. All while his friends took the video and posted it on u-tube.

Reading the replies here, I wonder if the average age on Thaivisa is 90+ coffee1.gif

This is definition of prank: "a trick that is done to someone usually as a joke". There was no joke element there, it was intimidation. Got it? In spite of bold type, yes it was attack on a white man. I don't think they asked if he were a son of a holocaust survivor. Correct me if I am in error. I dare you to do this to head monk at Wat, then say "it was just a prank" if you happen to still be able to speak. My Thai gf wondered about death penalty, and when I told of 500 baht fine, I got this: shock1.gif . May I suggest you get someone to make a sign in Thai that reads "kick me" so you can join in the mirth? And age of posters has nothing to do with if post makes sense or not.

Amen to that. Graveyards are filled with victims of "innocent" pranks. A 500 baht fine for that type of public behavior, is a blatant insult. The magistrate, who imposed that frivolous fine, should be ashamed of himself. That 15 year-old Thai boy should have been "locked-up", for at least 30-days, for assaulting another human being, and especially an elder global citizen. Period.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if it were Thai on Thai? I have no idea, just asking....

I just asked my wife what she thinks would happen if I did this to a Thai? Her response. " You would probably be dead within 24 hours. If not you would be severely beaten."

A right couple of morons. 500 baht fine for assault though is ridiculous.

it's about 2 days wages..

a hefty whack

Less than 10 per cent of a minimum wage earner. Sorry, I think it is not a lot.

it is quite a lot.. it would be like a $300 fine here for a $3000 per month earner (which is a low wage)

it would be enough to stop a repeat..

especially as it would probably be the unhappy parents copping the fine

plus the media embarrassment and the apology..

i think it's more than fair punishment

on a side point,

people complain that thai people get a discount for national park entry etc,

when a thai who works at burger king would have to use half their day's wage to eat a meal at burger king

considering that thai men have to watch foreigners swilling expensive beers

able to take out thai girls to restaurants and night clubs,

while they have to work and can hardly afford to drink one beer at the end of the day,

let alone travel overseas..

considering all that and more, the behaviour of young thai men toward foreigners makes the behaviour of aussie men at home toward foreigners seem barbaric and inhuman..

i did a lot worse as a kid

i see kids do much worse every week in sydney

most of these acts aren't captured on camera to view though

Edited by dangman

#Kontantine#

But you still haven't watched the video have you? So how can you say it was racist?

Have I called you or anyone else who has commented on this thread a Thai hater? No I haven't so stop suggesting I have

Again I see this as a prank, nothing more than that so my views on Thailand or Thai people don't really matter in this instance

That is my view based on what I have seen on the video and by knowing that this is common prank for Thai kids, your views are based on a video that you have not seen and your obvious distrust of people who show you "hatred"

I would not say the "vast majority" of posters here call this racist at all, they are saying it is wrong but they are not saying it is racist, I guess you have not actually read the comments the same as you have not watched the video, if you had read all the posts then you will have seen that the video is actually in one of the posts

You forgot to tell me in your last post who is "ordering" you to respect the country?

Edited by darrendsd

In every tourist guide book about Thailand you are warned NEVER EVER to touch someone's head, least of which using a shoe, slipper, sandal or similar. It is EXTREMELY disrespectful in Thailand and I can't believe any Thai would dare to do such a thing. This action alone should cause the kids to be named and shamed and hit on the head for disrespecting the sanctity of Buddhism, the significance of the head and what was just a stupid and irresponsible action. Indeed, one could go further to say that such actions are disrespectful amongst all decent people and religions, including Islam and Christianity as well.

• Like 1

Konstantine, I'm to old for such stupid prank. But, i was once a young guy too. Me and my friends did also some stupid things. Even worse. But we never got presented to the press like a felon. Every day really evil things happen in Thailand. Some of them are free to go because of bribe or connections to influential peoples.

I'm happy i did enjoy my youth in a western country.

So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong.

Special request to TV management/web designers. In addition to the “like this” button would it be possible to add a couple more buttons? Perhaps “dislike this comment” “No big deal? How would you like to be slapped on the head with a shoe by a couple punks” “no problem, I often disrespected elders when I was a young boy in my country” and “<deleted>” button? It would save us all a lot of time on this thread and some other threads as well. Just a thought. Best regards!!!

"<deleted>" would be used for quotes like...

"So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong" Like kick an old man off his bike and stomp his guts out...then we should punish them!!!

A 500 baht fine for hitting an old man on the head?

I hope their parents beat the siht out of them.

So you think slapping someone slightly on the head is something very bad and should be fined with a high amount.

On the other hand you want some get "beaten the siht out of them"??????????????

These two opinions don't fit well together.

Have you learned nothing about the culture here! First we have young people and an elder, then we have a shoe( symbol of the foot) and the elders head. Yes beat the shi... out of the disrespectful piles.

Only a bit of fun, we've all done silly things when 16 to look big and badass in front of one's peers.

The difference being that, in the western world "assault & battery" are considered to be minor crimes of violence, yet still carry serious consequences. This is especially true when such crimes are committed against the elderly, regardless of their skin color, or nationality.

We farangs have the "human right" to equal protection under Thai law (according to the Thai, so-called national religion).

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

A right couple of morons. 500 baht fine for assault though is ridiculous.

Its Thailand that's 2 days wages for some people.

Only if they are earning less than minimum wage. The minimum wage is now 300 Baht a day. Many Thais, including about half of Bangkok's population earns a decent middle class wage and for them 500 Baht is nothing. Although 500 Baht to an unemployed teenager is similar to the value of $50 to a similarly unemployed kid in the west - it certainly buys a few things but doesn't get you terribly far in either place, but any amount of money is a lot of money to an unemployed kid with no concept of earning money.

Special request to TV management/web designers. In addition to the “like this” button would it be possible to add a couple more buttons? Perhaps “dislike this comment” “No big deal? How would you like to be slapped on the head with a shoe by a couple punks” “no problem, I often disrespected elders when I was a young boy in my country” and “<deleted>” button? It would save us all a lot of time on this thread and some other threads as well. Just a thought. Best regards!!!

"So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong" Like kick an old man off his bike and stomp his guts out...then we should punish them!!!

Is that man seriously only 58?

Thats his PROFILE age hahaha But hitting and beating? Seriosuly didnt look to beat up to me. It looked like what it was ... a prank.. not condoning it here, but dont get beat up on a small incident and didnt YOU do stuff as kids?

Thais at 16 are more like farrang at 12

Not a prank!! Thais know about disrespect and saving / losing face this is the epitome of taking the p1ss out of a farang enough sed

• Like 2

So you think slapping someone slightly on the head is something very bad and should be fined with a high amount.

On the other hand you want some get "beaten the siht out of them"??????????????

These two opinions don't fit well together.

Have you learned nothing about the culture here! First we have young people and an elder, then we have a shoe( symbol of the foot) and the elders head. Yes beat the shi... out of the disrespectful piles.

If that elderly farang had punched that kid in the face for delivering that insult, then the farang would be either in jail, othe hospital or even worse. That kid knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that the consequences would be miniscule, at best. Apparently, he was right, in his choice of a prank victim. He would have NEVER done that to a Thai person. NEVER. Thats the tragedy of an "educated" Thailand in 2013. 50-years ago, Thais (without any reasonable level of formal education) were a far more nicer people, than they are today, with their "university" degrees.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

A long time ago I was sat in the market whilst my girlfriend sold clothes. A young guy (the son from the next stall) was practicing kicks Bruce Lee style. Later we went for something to eat and he raised his foot at me, I raised my foot towards him and was immediately punched hard in the mouth by his Thai police uncle. He also made me well aware he was carrying a gun. I of course apologized, I shouldn't have raised my foot.

All Thai's are taught at a very young age that pointing the foot or raising the foot or simply putting any part of yourself higher than an elders head is extremely disrespectful, if you see this as a prank you have no idea about the whole culture.

• Like 1

They should post a link to this on e the website that puts Chang Mai in the top 5 retirement destinations.

In Thailand you never touch someones head yet alone with a shoe.

If a Thai for instance were to step over another Thai's head while they were sleeping on a jail floor he would probably be severely beaten or killed.This little gem was passed to me by a Thai friend.

Thais laugh at westerners who make boxer shorts and flip flops out of union jacks.

In Thailand what they did was not a prank it was highly disrespectful. Those who are writing otherwise really do not understand Thailand.

• Like 2

The fine of 500b is in line with the fine of hitting someone in Thailand, 500b. I believe that if you hit someone twice, you need to pay 1,000b.

As far as I know touching someone's head with a shoe is not illegal, just very disrespectful. Although, I suspect the outcome would be very different between a Thai and a a Thai....................and that is why we pride ourselves as being more educated...........well, most of us. :-)

• Like 1

A long time ago I was sat in the market whilst my girlfriend sold clothes. A young guy (the son from the next stall) was practicing kicks Bruce Lee style. Later we went for something to eat and he raised his foot at me, I raised my foot towards him and was immediately punched hard in the mouth by his Thai police uncle. He also made me well aware he was carrying a gun. I of course apologized, I shouldn't have raised my foot.

All Thai's are taught at a very young age that pointing the foot or raising the foot or simply putting any part of yourself higher than an elders head is extremely disrespectful, if you see this as a prank you have no idea about the whole culture.

Am I right to assume you were older than the Bruce Lee guy? And nothing was said to him? If that's the case, this was nothing to do with raising your foot because you were both doing martial arts, no? More a case of the uncle just wanted to kick off at you.

I'm beginning to understand the reason why Thais believe we farangs are stupid people.

I guess that's why they never give up a seat on the BTS or Bus, to an elderly person. wink.png

#Kontantine#

But you still haven't watched the video have you? So how can you say it was racist?

Have I called you or anyone else who has commented on this thread a Thai hater? No I haven't so stop suggesting I have

Again I see this as a prank, nothing more than that so my views on Thailand or Thai people don't really matter in this instance

That is my view based on what I have seen on the video and by knowing that this is common prank for Thai kids, your views are based on a video that you have not seen and your obvious distrust of people who show you "hatred"

I would not say the "vast majority" of posters here call this racist at all, they are saying it is wrong but they are not saying it is racist, I guess you have not actually read the comments the same as you have not watched the video, if you had read all the posts then you will have seen that the video is actually in one of the posts

You forgot to tell me in your last post who is "ordering" you to respect the country?

Seeing the still picture of the guy commmiting the offense, police arresting him for committing the offense, and the pair admitting that they committed the offense against the foreigner is evidence enough to conclude it was a racist attack. I don't need to see the video of the offense being committed to make that conclusion.

You might not use the words "Thai haters" but you infer it with your comments.

So if your views on Thailand or Thais don't really matter, why did you make a comment in the first place about an incident involving Thais?

You need to read through the posts and find those that agree with you (there are a few) that this is a common prank amonst Thais. It's not. Most people on here who have Thai wives and children have said it's not. Perhaps you can find a Thai that will back up your assertion that it's common for Thais to touch strangers on the head with a flip-flop and just laugh it off.

Who's ordering me to respect the country? Well, I don't keep a list of their names and addresses.

It's clear you (and your few supporters) have lost the argument on this, so you should really admit defeat gracefully.

• Like 1

Konstantine, I'm to old for such stupid prank. But, i was once a young guy too. Me and my friends did also some stupid things. Even worse. But we never got presented to the press like a felon. Every day really evil things happen in Thailand. Some of them are free to go because of bribe or connections to influential peoples.

I'm happy i did enjoy my youth in a western country.

So, let the kids go. Punish them, when they do really something wrong.

Spare the rod, spoil the child. Getting away with little things as children, leads to more serious offences, as they grow older. Have you ever heard of the phenomenon called "nip it in the bud" before it blooms into an ugly flower. Obviously, you've never been a parent, in a society that will hold "you" accountable for the misdeeds of your children.

Am I right to assume you were older than the Bruce Lee guy? And nothing was said to him? If that's the case, this was nothing to do with raising your foot because you were both doing martial arts, no? More a case of the uncle just wanted to kick off at you.

of course but i learned raising my foot was wrong. As everyone here knows at an early age.

You know that will never happen. Thai parents never discipline their kids. This is the main reason that they are the way they are when adults. . There is never going to be "a fair shake " here. If a farang had done the same the fine would have been 20,000, not 500. Thai teenagers have absolutely no respect for elders, even though their culture dictates that they should. It will never ever change.

Amen!

#Konstantine#

I don't have or need any supporters and don't need or am looking for anyone to agree with me, these are my views

I have seen the exact same incident happen here myself so don't need any Thai to back me up

So you have decided that this was a racist attack without watching the video just because the people have different colour skin? Haha that is your best yet

Admit to defeat on what exactly? I am not starting a war here, I am expressing my views, nothing more

"Who's ordering me to respect the country? Well, I don't keep a list of their names and addresses" Haha at least have some evidence to back your claim that we are "ordered" to respect the country otherwise you just make yourself look a fool

Also at least look at the video before posting your views, by not doing so you are making yourself look even more of a fool

Edited by darrendsd