big c return policy, your experiences please (cash AND credit card)

infinity11

i finally made it to big c (on pat klang)
looked like a pretty impressive large store and selection

of course the service was awful, the guy at the phone counter acted like a hustler, 'you want or no want'

and could not answer simple questions correctly: does this phone have speaker phone (no, but it did)

BUT what really shocked me was their return policy
my concern is if the item is defective

and the lady said that you can return in 7 days as long as it is fit for re-sale
i dont need to explain to you the faulty logic behind this: you do not need to re-sell a defective item or an item that does not function properly
with this comment and someone else complaining on here a while ago how difficult it is to return something
i post this and ask for your experiences please

FYI tesco was very easy about returning but their locations leave something to be desired, while big c pat klang is the easiest to get to of all the major outlets here (for me)

As long as you keep the original receipt and box it came in , I dont think there is anyproblems returning items.

If there is talk to the manager.

But I suspect a lot of the complaints is from people without the receipt or try to return items without the original packaging.

Big C not bad I had a rotary drill fry up within 10 minutes. I couldn't get to Pattaya till Friday 6 days after in the original box. They gave me the baht back no problem, If it was home pro would not at all be that smooth!!!!!!!

• Like 2

The customer service person (the one who rang up the phone purchase) said something in regards to 'you no scratch screen.' when i asked about their return policy. She seemed so focused on how i treated the phone while i was concerned with if the phone had any problems. Typically Thai. A kind of Off-Communication. I suppose i will keep shopping there until i have a problem. Thanks all for the feedback.

The Thai Consumer Protection Act.....yes there is one, allows you to return your purchase within 7 days. The product should be in a re-sellable state.

Those 7 days is basically meant for purchases which weren't satisfactory and that's why you shouldn't scratch the phone or damage the goods in any way. Receipts and original packing are required!

Apart from the 7 days there is the technical/factory warranty. This warranty is usually one year, but can run up to 3 years or even 5 years on parts like motors of pumps or washing-machines.

Edited by joepattaya1961
  • Like 1

I have been able to return with both credit and cash as long as I have the receipt and original packaging (even if damaged). They resist, but I just stand there smiling and l keep repeating in broken Thai that I want my money back. They finally give it to me to make me go away. This seems to work at all the Big Box type stores (not small shops).

• Like 2

I have been able to get a refund/exchange for broken items or things I just didn't want at multiple branches. If the original transaction was on your Big C card, they don't even need the receipt.

In one case, I bought a DVD player and didn't try it out for a few weeks. When I did try it out, I found it wouldn't play from a USB stick smoothly, so I tried to return it (at the service counter). Since the stated return period had lapsed, a manager had to give approval, but they eventually let me have a different model and refunded me the difference.

• Like 1

The Thai Consumer Protection Act.....yes there is one, allows you to return your purchase within 7 days. The product should be in a re-sellable state.

Those 7 days is basically meant for purchases which weren't satisfactory and that's why you shouldn't scratch the phone or damage the goods in any way. Receipts and original packing are required!

Apart from the 7 days there is the technical/factory warranty. This warranty is usually one year, but can run up to 3 years or even 5 years on parts like motors of pumps or washing-machines.

They told me the item is covered for a year but were thin on details.

How does this work if something breaks through no fault of your own (bwahahahahaha), will they take it and fix it or tell you to go to manufacturer, which can be a nightmare i imagine.

I have been able to get a refund/exchange for broken items or things I just didn't want at multiple branches. If the original transaction was on your Big C card, they don't even need the receipt.

In one case, I bought a DVD player and didn't try it out for a few weeks. When I did try it out, I found it wouldn't play from a USB stick smoothly, so I tried to return it (at the service counter). Since the stated return period had lapsed, a manager had to give approval, but they eventually let me have a different model and refunded me the difference.

On pattaya Klang or another store?

This is hopeful!

... when i asked about their return policy. She seemed so focused on how i treated the phone while i was concerned with if the phone had any problems. Typically Thai.

I think you may have a "English vocabulary problem" here. For me when I talk about "return policy" I do not talk of a defective item, but an item I want to return because it does not make what I expected or because I changed my mind for any reason. In Thailand you have a 7-days period for that, but of course you must bring back the product in his original packaging and the product must still be "as new", with no scratch or marks.

If your product does not work you have the warranty, and in many place the policy is "replace by a new one" if the product is less than 15 days or 1 month.

I don't see difference in that between Thailand and European countries.

No reason for this bad "Typically Thai" expression

I know i know it was in bad form but i find it is so easy for Thais to blame me when something goes wrong, especially through no fault of my own and to make it worse not take the blame/responsibility when it is their fault.

Sorry to mention this but i come across this time and time again, interesting cultural phenomenon.

When i went o Malaysia and someone actually apologized to me for their mistake and offered to fix the mistake i was dumbfounded!!!!!

Don't ever try to return anything to Power Buy. There is no customer service. Bought my wife an Iphone5 trying to be a nice guy. She wanted a Samsung (smart girl). Took the iphone back the following morning morning and was told that I could not exchnge it. Used to spend a lot of money there but they will never see another baht from me.

• Like 1

Don't ever try to return anything to Power Buy. There is no customer service. Bought my wife an Iphone5 trying to be a nice guy. She wanted a Samsung (smart girl). Took the iphone back the following morning morning and was told that I could not exchnge it. Used to spend a lot of money there but they will never see another baht from me.

And why did they not want exchange it? Maybe your gf had opened it already , what about the original receipt and packaging?

We did pretty good with Power buy on a blender debacle. Before we bought I insisted the floor manager sign the reciept acknowledging if there were any defect problems the store would have to take care of it & not the supplier. Sure enough 10 days later the blade was loose but frozen tight. we went back Mai pen rai! After talking to the wall for 1/2 an hour we left. a month later it was ready to cut loose & again same sorry excuses.

I went to the U.S. & came back 2 months later & the 1st use the blender shot one of the blades off & was worthless. We got a hold of Tefal mfg. & was told they were aware that the glass blenders had several defects & to take it back to powerbuy & they would reimburse powerbuy for the blender top(Glass & blade assembly.) We went back to powerbuy & the Mgr new us as we have bought many items from them & a microwave 3 days prior to going in. She reluctantly agreed to give us the new parts & even gave us the new motor & other parts & only kept the Broken glass holder & Blade assembly. It was like pulling teeth but we did get satisfaction for all the grinding we did. of course she made us agree & sign that the warranty no longer applies & kept the receipt. I guess when you buy a TeFal product it really isn't a T-Fal product made with quality as in the U.S. & Australia , but a cheap copy of the real deal!

The problem with the Chinese parts are usually not the motor which is always guarantied for around 10 years but the accessories used on top of the motor. They know that the machining is horrible & meant to break & just don't want to stand by their products.

Edited by Beardog

I bought a microwave some months ago.

After unpacking and during testing (according to the manual), there was a flash and the light went out.

Within 1 hour after purchase I returned the microwave to Power Buy.

Of course they also tested it and they offered me the same wave but I insisted on another brand.......no problem.

And why did they not want exchange it? Maybe your gf had opened it already , what about the original receipt and packaging?

Store policy. They showed me the fine print. Was never opened much less tampered with.