uk police check, problem for retirement visa

Hi, I'm about to apply at the Thai embassy in London for my retirement visa.

Problem I have is the police check I need will show some issues when I was a young tearaway, 40 years ago, couple of joy riding records.

I checked with the police and they have said they will show up on the report.

My question is will the embassy be worried about something that happens 40 years ago ?

Thanks

Firstly, I had problems when thinking about applying for a retirement visa in the UK - the police could not provide the information required.

Secondly it is much easier to get a non-immigrant O visa, gives you 60 days extendable by 30 days stay in Thailand. Then in Thailand get your retirement visa. No police check then needed.

Get the non-immigrant O from a consulate, (Hull), you'll probably have to show 800,000 Baht equivalent in a UK bank account but someone else will come along and confirm that.

There are a few levels of reporting, I've never submitted one, but given there is no specification for the level of police check I would submit a 'basic' one. Basic checks disclose only unspent convictions, and so long as you did not receive a custodial sentence yours are very, very spent - personally I think the police that you spoke to are scaremongering in this instance (or ignorant) but there's only one way to find out.

If I were you I'd go to one of the online places like http://www.criminalrecordchecks.co.uk/ and get them to sort out a copy so you don't even need to speak to the police.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

There are a few levels of reporting, I've never submitted one, but given there is no specification for the level of police check I would submit a 'basic' one. Basic checks disclose only unspent convictions, and so long as you did not receive a custodial sentence yours are very, very spent - personally I think the police that you spoke to are scaremongering in this instance (or ignorant) but there's only one way to find out.

If I were you I'd go to one of the online places like http://www.criminalrecordchecks.co.uk/ and get them to sort out a copy so you don't even need to speak to the police.

Or alternatively make a subject access request to your local police force and see what shows up in the resultant report. If it includes your joyriding incidents then go down the non-imm O route instead, as suggested by other posters.

Called the local police and they no longer supply the subject access reports.

They have to come from Scotland yard.

And also thanks for the reply from rwdrwdrwd, but the Thai embassy will only accept subject access reports from Scotland yard no third party reports will be accepted.

Worried that if I take my report with the joy riding from 40 years as go on,that the embassy blacklist me....seems absolutely ridiculous, but its the Thai `s who knows what they could do!!!

Sounds like my safest bet is to get a single non o visa for 90 days from a consulate, then get the 12 month retirement at immigration.

Is it easy to get the income letter from the UK embassy in bkk?

I have no issue with the funds.

Thanks everyone for your help

Requirements for a 12 month extension from Immigration for retirement.

The income letter from the Embassy is quite straight forward but will cost you 2,000+ Baht

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application