fined for "driving without seatbelt"

bruttabuona

Hi there

I heard just a lot of times those weird stories about police scams on farangs but it never actually happened to me. Finally I joined the club

Last Saturday a policeman at police block-post in Sukhumvit road stopped me and insisted I was driving without the security belt (even though I was still sitting inside the car with the seatbelt naturally - fnd needless to say I use it every time I drive). The explanation was easy: another policeman saw me driving without the seatbelt somewhere in the Sukhumvit Rd (not specified where, though) and reported to the block-post. The result is 500 Bt fine.

Sad, but not for money.

Does it really happen so often?

I normally drive a bike and they stop bikes quite often; but after you show your thai driving license it's always been ok with me.

I tried to explain it was some sort of a mistake (and I really believed it was), bit the policeman took no notice of anything I was saying)

Yeah, I understand the game but still...

I normally drive a bike and they stop bikes quite often; but after you show your thai driving license it's always been ok with me.

I tried to explain it was some sort of a mistake (and I really believed it was), bit the policeman took no notice of anything I was saying)

Yeah, I understand the game but still...

Was that Highway police or local Pattaya? The Highway police seem to be nothing more than a money scamming operation.

Was that Highway police or local Pattaya? The Highway police seem to be nothing more than a money scamming operation.

No idea how to distinguish)

But as far as it happened somewhere around Ambassador I guess it's more probably Highway police?

Something similar happened to me years ago... just after the seatbelt law had been introduced in Thailand.

On this occasion they accused my passenger of not wearing the seatbelt - we refused to accept fault, seat belts were worn (not for law but for common sense). After a minor standoff we were waved along. 

You were stopped and caved in too quickly...  I rarely get stopped (haven't for about 3 years now), but I follow that if you are stopped and not in the wrong maintain a firm stance and you'll get moved on within a few mins. 

Once the BiB pull you over they have attempt to charge you with something for face saving measures - the result depends on your attitude and the level of resistance you provide: it becomes a game, simply play it as so...

That is exactly what I would do. I would insist I have been wearing the seat belt, as I always do. I would say I am absolutely refusing to pay a fine. If you want to arrest me on false charges, and jail me, go right ahead. But, you will not see even one baht from me. Find an easier mark. Perhaps one of the 99% who do not wear their seat belts! not one who does. Sorry Charlie you picked the wrong chump. Next! What are they gonna do? Arrest you? I doubt it.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is exactly what I would do. I would insist I have been wearing the seat belt, as I always do. I would say I am absolutely refusing to pay a fine. If you want to arrest me on false charges, and jail me, go right ahead. But, you will not see even one baht from me. Find an easier mark. Perhaps one of the 99% who do not wear their seat belts! not one who does. Sorry Charlie you picked the wrong chump. Next! What are they gonna do? Arrest you? I doubt it.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you really expect a Thai Policeman to understand what you're talking about ? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

But as far as it happened somewhere around Ambassador I guess it's more probably Highway police?

They created a permanent check point just before the Ambassador as you are heading north. Normally opens up mid-afternoon and they pull over both cars and bikes. And check things fairly carefully. I was on the phone one time and he motioned for me to hang up. I did rather quickly.

They are also doing check points on the other side on a fairly regular basis. It ranges between Huay Yai road and Ban Amphur. Today, it was just before the Ambassador as you were headed south. Huge line up and they were pulling over both cars and bikes again. I would guess one big reason for the cars is the tax sticker. I saw them scanning mine rather closely.

That'll be the highway police. You can recognise them by the brown and yellow saloon cars they use. Local police usually have pickups or motorbikes.

They created a permanent check point just before the Ambassador as you are heading north. Normally opens up mid-afternoon and they pull over both cars and bikes. And check things fairly carefully. I was on the phone one time and he motioned for me to hang up. I did rather quickly.

They are also doing check points on the other side on a fairly regular basis. It ranges between Huay Yai road and Ban Amphur. Today, it was just before the Ambassador as you were headed south. Huge line up and they were pulling over both cars and bikes again. I would guess one big reason for the cars is the tax sticker. I saw them scanning mine rather closely.

I got pulled for the out of date tax a few years back....

The Police Officer flagged me over and explained that my Tax was out of date... I laughed and explained that I had another 2 months.

This back and forth went on. Me refusing to accept that my Tax was out of date, the BiB insisting it was.

Both were amused at the situation.. Me because he was clearly trying to pull a fast one... and him because he was right !

After a few mins I got out of the car, looked at my Tax sticker in the window and burst out laughing... Yes - my Tax was 3 months out of date !!! (for some reason I had the wrong date in my head).

After accepting I was in the wrong I thanked the Policeman for stopping me and said I'll get the Tax paid ASAP.

I asked for the normal ticket but the BiB told me that I can pay there !!... he asked for 400B I told him 100B or write the ticket.

After a little lighthearted negotiation he accepted 100B... while I was driving off he was still complaining to me that I would only give him 100B !

I was in the wrong this time and didn't mind being stopped at all.

• Like 1

That section of road Craig is talking about is a well known trap. If the cars or trucks are yellow & brown not a heck of a lot you can do . If it is the regular BIB if you insist on going to the station(in Hua Yai- pain in the ass & a real time waster) & talking to the desk sergeant you can either get any ticket reduced or possibly dismissed.

That section of road Craig is talking about is a well known trap. If the cars or trucks are yellow & brown not a heck of a lot you can do . If it is the regular BIB if you insist on going to the station(in Hua Yai- pain in the ass & a real time waster) & talking to the desk sergeant you can either get any ticket reduced or possibly dismissed.

Right on. I usually see foreigners on scooters being pulled over. They seem to target them a lot!

No, if it's near the Ambassador Hotel, it's more likely the Na-Jomtien police. The Na-Jomtien police are notorious for stopping cars and motorbikes in that area. You can tell by the logo they have on the their vehicles.

No, if it's near the Ambassador Hotel, it's more likely the Na-Jomtien police. The Na-Jomtien police are notorious for stopping cars and motorbikes in that area. You can tell by the logo they have on the their vehicles.

If you have a bike if it is Na Jomtien police just don't stop look the other way & watch out for their feet trying to kick the bike over. Since I got my 650 they think better of trying to kick a moving machine! They never chase & forget quick & just go after the next person. They can care less about the fine as long as they can keep on getting tea money out of everyone. I stopped participating in their game Highway patrol different game entirely,

I do stop for them.....They will give chase & have been seen on 750's.

Right on. I usually see foreigners on scooters being pulled over. They seem to target them a lot!

yes... the stop there had become such a habit that I took on the habit of wearing my Thai driver licence like a badge around my neck.

Now they never stop me.

For cars, dashcam is a must have in Thailand, also for avoiding petty fines but especially for proving your case in a collision.

The locals ride a beaten up Honda Dream 110's and the elite highway patrol ride a beaten up Honda Dream 125's.

Got stopped today. On the way back from your house, beardog!!!! Right at the Ambassador. I saw a scooter cop on the side of the road just past the 7/11 there. He was scanning traffic closely. I was on the inside lane (I normally try not to do this). The cop down the road waved me over as my tax sticker was expired. And it was! He had been alerted from the other guy. We've been gone for 6 weeks and the new sticker got here a few weeks ago, so I hadn't put it on yet.

He was a bit upset, but said "no problem, just fix.". Which I just did. And moved on. Whew.

Got stopped today. On the way back from your house, beardog!!!! Right at the Ambassador. I saw a scooter cop on the side of the road just past the 7/11 there. He was scanning traffic closely. I was on the inside lane (I normally try not to do this). The cop down the road waved me over as my tax sticker was expired. And it was! He had been alerted from the other guy. We've been gone for 6 weeks and the new sticker got here a few weeks ago, so I hadn't put it on yet.

He was a bit upset, but said "no problem, just fix.". Which I just did. And moved on. Whew.

I'm a bit surprised that you purposely stay out of the inside lane. I can't remember how many times I've been pulled over for driving in the outside lane. Have to admit that it hasn't happened to me on that stretch in my pickup, but in general I'm not quite sure how many cars you are allowed to pass on a highway before you're supposed to get back to the inside lane. I've quarrel quite a few times with the cops about this and lost a battle or two. Guess driving a sedan compared to a pickup in these cases can and will make a difference.

However I've been pulled over there before on an mc, with the cop stating that bikes are not allowed in the "fast" lane.

I'm a bit surprised that you purposely stay out of the inside lane. I can't remember how many times I've been pulled over for driving in the outside lane. Have to admit that it hasn't happened to me on that stretch in my pickup, but in general I'm not quite sure how many cars you are allowed to pass on a highway before you're supposed to get back to the inside lane. I've quarrel quite a few times with the cops about this and lost a battle or two. Guess driving a sedan compared to a pickup in these cases can and will make a difference.

However I've been pulled over there before on an mc, with the cop stating that bikes are not allowed in the "fast" lane.

Right on. But with this road block, traffic gets backed up almost 1km at times. So easy to be in the passing lane by the time you eventually get to the check point. Also, this stretch of Suk is just too busy to have all traffic in one lane. It's getting really bad down here. Especially with the crazy bus/minibus drivers.

I've been pulled over for being in the passing lane before also. It was up country and the road only had a few cars on it. I was an easy target. Luckily, had grandma with us. She gave the cop an earful and we got off with a 20B fine.laugh.png

I just got back(before the downpour) & indeed there was a roadblock in Ban Ampur area just pass Ambassador & 1 kilo shy of Firestone tires.

The patrol had the road closed down to the slow lane traffic & they were on the shoulder so even if you wanted you can not evade the checkpoint.

I showed them my Thai Lic. & they asked about my missing rear plate on my 650 Kawasaki & I showed them the receipt for the Lic to be delivered in 6 weeks no Problem . 2 other cops came over to check out the Chameleon Paint I just had painted . Pretty cool it changes from Purple to Blue to green depending what angle you view it from.(And yes I did change the colors in my green book so solly Chalie no ticket for that infraction.) The highway patrol are always cool to me as I always have everything legal. These boys I do recognize their authority so I always will stop for them. Na Jomtien local police are no more than BIB Mafia & I always wave back to them when they try to wave me over. That & I still carry the Judges card that she gave me in 2009 just in case I get pulled over for non existent infractions to have the desk sergeant call her so she can bust the officers chops. They still remember me & would rather not talk to the judge. The super pesty cop that was the best moneymaker for Na Jomtien got sent to south Thailand as he had to many Farang's & Thai's complain that he was way over-zealous & made up infractions that were often way over the posted amount for the infraction. I am sure everyone that knew this putz was glad to not see him anymore!

Today the 30th the police have a roadblock on Sukumvit going south just before the Ambasador City Hotel.

If you know the area you could enter the government housing estate front entrance and exit at the back

which conviently comes out right at the Ambasador / Mimosa U turn and avoid the shake down.

Edited by johng

Different price bracket. whistling.gif ...................smile.png