Can I apply for Re-Entry permit at airport before departure

They do not have re-entry permit desks at any border crossings. You will have to get re-entry permit at the immigration office where you live.

Re-entry permits cost the same everywhere, Single 1000 baht and multiple 3800.

• Like 1

I don't think you understand what a re-entry permit is for. A only keeps an existing permit to stay valid if you leave and re-enter the country it does not give you any any additional days in the country. As an example the OP has a 60 day permit to stay from his tourist visa valid to xx date he can leave and return using the re-entry permit to and keep that date.

Probably a stupid question, but on a 2-entry tourist visa, can the "use-by" (i.e., validity) date be extended at either an immigration office or at Swampy? Mine will lapse before my return to Thailand from an out-of-country trip. I'm guessing not, and I'll just have to go with the 30d stamp when I return. (Visa obtained from an honorary consulate and they only gave me a 90d validity for some reason.)

Probably a stupid question, but on a 2-entry tourist visa, can the "use-by" (i.e., validity) date be extended at either an immigration office or at Swampy? Mine will lapse before my return to Thailand from an out-of-country trip. I'm guessing not, and I'll just have to go with the 30d stamp when I return. (Visa obtained from an honorary consulate and they only gave me a 90d validity for some reason.)

It is not possible to extend the validity date of a visa.

You could make a border run to use the 2nd entry before you leave and get a re-entry permit to keep the 60 day permit to stay alive that you could extend by 30 days at immigration.

Excuse my ignorance here. Do I understand correctly? If you are in Thailand on a 90 day tourist visa (one entry only) and you leave the country before the 90 days is up, you can get a reentry permit and return to Thailand and reenter on that same visa? (That is, assuming the visa date has not expired.)

Edited by HerbalEd

A tourist visa only gives a 60 day entry extendable by 30 days. You can get a re-entry permit for the 60 days or the remainder of the 60 days plus the 30 day extension remaining after the extension is applied for.

The validity date of the visa does not matter since it does limit the amount of time you can spend in the country it is only the last day you can use the visa for entry.

A tourist visa only gives a 60 day entry extendable by 30 days. You can get a re-entry permit for the 60 days or the remainder of the 60 days plus the 30 day extension remaining after the extension is applied for.

The validity date of the visa does not matter since it does limit the amount of time you can spend in the country it is only the last day you can use the visa for entry.

My bad ... I knew tourist visa is for 60 days plus can get 30-day extension. Also know detail about visa expiration date. However, I did not know about the reentry permit ... and I've come into Thailand many times on a tourist visa.

Anyway, this is great news for me and definitely something I'll take advantage of in the future.

Do you understand that the re-entry permit only provides your current permitted to stay - if you are currently allowed to stay until 30 November your re-entry permit will have that 30 November date and that is what your new entry stamp will be. You will not gain any time but you will be able to complete that current stay and if an extension is allowed to do that.

My bad ... I knew tourist visa is for 60 days plus can get 30-day extension. Also know detail about visa expiration date. However, I did not know about the reentry permit ... and I've come into Thailand many times on a tourist visa.

Anyway, this is great news for me and definitely something I'll take advantage of in the future.

If you have been going in and out before without a re-entry permit, I am guessing that you are on a visa exempt.

Do you understand that the re-entry permit only provides your current permitted to stay - if you are currently allowed to stay until 30 November your re-entry permit will have that 30 November date and that is what your new entry stamp will be. You will not gain any time but you will be able to complete that current stay and if an extension is allowed to do that.

Yes, fully understand. Thanks.

I don't think you understand what a re-entry permit is for. A only keeps an existing permit to stay valid if you leave and re-enter the country it does not give you any any additional days in the country. As an example the OP has a 60 day permit to stay from his tourist visa valid to xx date he can leave and return using the re-entry permit to and keep that date.

Thanks very much for this information. I have used up so many tourist visas before the expiry date ive lost count. Once i left for 7 days and used up an entry. This is great info, thanks again.

It is not possible to extend the validity date of a visa.

You could make a border run to use the 2nd entry before you leave and get a re-entry permit to keep the 60 day permit to stay alive that you could extend by 30 days at immigration.

That's an idea. I know this gimmick won't possibly fly, but I'll ask anyway... Instead of the border run, could you exit through immigration at Swampy, then turn right around and come right back in again, thus activating the 2nd entry. THEN, obtain the re-entry permit, and exit again and make the overseas trip? 'Don't know what I'd put on the arrival card on the turnaround... Edited by hawker9000