Idiom help needed

phuketsub

I think it is an aphorism and the English equivalent is " to put on a brave face" or " sell the cloth to save ones face"

the correct Thai should be:

ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด

but I am not absolutely certain...would be happy for a more knowledgable translation.

Edited by Dr Robert

Friends,

From "คำคล้องจอง เสน่ห์ของภาษาไทย" (Harmonious Words, the Charm of the Thai Language) by ชัยรัตน์ วงศ์เกียรติ์ขจร (Chairat Wongkietkajorn):

"ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด ก. (สำ) ยอมเสียสละแม้แต่ของจำเป็นที่ตนมีอยู่เพื่อรักษาชื่อเสียงของตนไว้, ทำให้สำเร็จลุล่วงไปเพื่อรักษาชื่อเสียงตนไว้"

My take: ". . . to be willing to sacrifice even at a great personal cost in order to retain one’s good name; to achieve success in order to preserve one’s reputation."
I can't think of an English equivalent, but perhaps this quote from Proverbs 22 will suffice, "A good reputation and respect are worth much more than silver and gold."
What do you think?
  • Like 1

I see that the Royal Institute has an explanation of this phrase:

"ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด (๒๒ พฤษภาคม ๒๕๕๑)

ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด

สำนวน ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด หมายความว่า ยอมสละแม้แต่ของจำเป็นที่ตนมีอยู่ เพื่อรักษาชื่อเสียงและสถานภาพของตนไว้ เช่น คู่บ่าวสาวไม่มีเงินจึงต้องยอมขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด เอาบ้านไปจำนองเพื่อจัดงานแต่งงานให้สมเกียรติ.

สำนวน ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด อาจใช้ในความหมายว่า แก้ไขสถานการณ์เฉพาะหน้าให้รอดพ้นไป โดยอาจต้องเสียสละ หรือนำสิ่งของที่มีอยู่ออกมาใช้ หรือหยิบฉวยสิ่งที่พอหาได้ใช้ไปก่อน เช่น ได้รับเชิญให้ไปบรรยายทางวิชาการอย่างกะทันหัน จึงขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด เอาเรื่องเก่าที่เคยเสนอแล้วมาพูดใหม่พอแก้ขัดไปก่อน.

ผ้าที่ขายเพื่อรักษาหน้าในสำนวนนี้เป็นผ้าสำคัญ เช่นผ้าที่ทอเพื่อใส่ในวันแต่งงาน การขายผ้าจึงถือเป็นเรื่องใหญ่ เป็นการสละสิ่งของที่รักที่หวงเพื่อสิ่งที่สำคัญกว่า คือ การรักษาหน้า

See http://www.royin.go.th/th/knowledge/detail.php?ID=2359

Here's my take on the second paragraph:

"The idiom “ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด” might also be used to mean to salvage a situation which suddenly arises by, perhaps, making some sort of sacrifice or by bringing something you already have to bear or by making a quick substitute just when it was needed. For example, you are invited at the last moment to give an academic lecture so you “ขายผ้าเอาหน้ารอด” by taking some lecture materials which you already prepared and you polish it up just for this occasion."

Therefore, perhaps an English interpretation of the phrase might be, “To pull an iron out of the fire just in the nick of time”.

What do you think?

Edited by DavidHouston

Extremely useful stuff...I am not sure I agree with the "pull an iron out of the fire" analogy in this case (which is a quote from a woman describing what it is like to live in Yala)...anyway, all the help very much appreciated.