I found the reason why most Thais are thin

puukao

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/air-pollution-linked-to-lower-birth-weights/

Air pollution linked to lower birth weights.

I always feel bad when I see children playing in the smog-filled air, or witness pregnant women walk around without a face mask. In fact, I wish all tourists avoided Thailand in March because of the bad air. I know, won't happen.

Anyhow, food for thought.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find that in Thailand, the higher the pollution level of a province, the higher the average weight is. Thai people are thinner because they eat less and move more.

Move more ??

Do you like to move it?

You got me thinking you live a villagelife !!

Interesting theory Puukao but doesn't take into account that all of Thailand does not suffer from polluted air,the places that do:such as Changmai are seasonal. To form an Hypothesis is easy, to prove it takes a vast amount of research and money . You could start with Government Statistics if there are any? especially with children born in the areas of more than average Pollution,as opposed to areas and Provinces with little or no Pollution.

Another good starting point for research would be to study the figures in Cities with dense traffic and poor air,and the birth weights and general health of new born babies,and also in clean air Provinces etc,the variables of a Study of this nature,necessary to prove your Hypothesis would be many.

Good Luck with your findings!

I think you will find theres a combiantion of factors including.......

Social pressure

Spicy food

Genuine malnourishment

Tapeworm infestation

Possibles, and some other points the OP will need to take into account. I actually know a Thai Lady,who is about 4 ft 6 inches,who thinks her size is due to lack of nourishment in her formative years.

• Like 2

No, it's not due to air pollution. It's because most Thais are poor, and can't afford to eat sirloin steak every night.

Go hang out in the wealthy sub-divisions, and you'll see no shortage of chunkies wandering around.

]

It's pretty difficult to get fat on a diet of sirloin steak.

Sugar laden soups, pork rinds, Lays potato chips et al is another matter altogether.

Incidently, I see many Thais in the UK who have been there many years, and the majority,have more than enough upholstery to see them through the coming Winter,and just like Thailand,there are some that are comparable in size with fat people in the west. Personally I think it's all down to diet.

• Like 2

They are not thin anymore.

Most, these days, are getting quite chubby and curvy - nothing wrong with that - but wait til it gets too far.

I get the distinct impression that it is, in fact, more socially acceptable to be bigger here, than the west.

Actually, being a bit chunky seems to be coming into fashion. I am noticing a deliberate chunkiness in most of the models on TV and i think the local girls are copying.

• Like 1

10 years ago, hardly any fatty around, now, it looks more & more like western countries

thanks to mcdonalds, kfc's & other junk outlets

sugary candies, fried whatever is another problem

let's not forget cola, est, pepsi & other colourfull sugar laden drinks

• Like 1

10 years ago, hardly any fatty around, now, it looks more & more like western countries

thanks to mcdonalds, kfc's & other junk outlets

sugary candies, fried whatever is another problem

let's not forget cola, est, pepsi & other colourfull sugar laden drinks

What are you on about? Back 20-25 years ago, there were loads of overweight Thais. There are more now, but the amount is not drastically higher.

While it's fashionable to blame Western diets, fast food, Coke, Pepsi, etc., sedentary lifestyles are more to blame. Thais have always loved to shovel loads of crappy food down their gullets.

• Like 2

No, it's not due to air pollution. It's because most Thais are poor, and can't afford to eat sirloin steak every night.

Go hang out in the wealthy sub-divisions, and you'll see no shortage of chunkies wandering around.

]

right, look at the food they eat. no big fat steaks, with gravy, no potatoes, no hamburgers, fat cheese , ham, macaroni etcetc, eat rice and fish all day and you won't gain a lot of weight. saying that is if the can eat multiple meals a day. parts of my family eat only noodles with a few leaves inside as a meal......

Edited by myluckythai
  • Like 1

You'll find that in Thailand, the higher the pollution level of a province, the higher the average weight is. Thai people are thinner because they eat less and move more.

Move more ??

Physical work, walking, getting more exercise.