Merkel calls Obama about 'US spying on her phone'

webfact

Oh goodness, Putin is probably reviewing her voicemail as we speak. He will send it on to the NSA as soon as he's done.

Unless of course, he dialed a wrong number . Some where in Germany there is a confused lady named Andrea Merkel who is telling her husband about this very strange phone message she got.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute here. I seem to remember Obama touring Europe and huge crowds of Europeans looking on with adoring eyes and cooing sweet praise. emot-kiss.gif Ohhhh! Ahhhhhh! wub.png They even went and gave him a Nobel Peace Prize for doing .......ahhhh?....hummmmm? Well, nothing at all, really!!! facepalm.gif
It aptly demonstrated that, not only the U.S, but Europe also possessed a large number of people lacking critical thinking skills and stupid enough to buy into the schtick of the smooth-talking snake oil salesman.
So, now, when I hear about any Europeans complaining to Obama; Sorry, my sympathy generator is busted !!

Obama tended to be seen much like bat's piss*

* a shaft of golden light in utter darkness

Don't you mean:

"you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark"....it was one of Shaw's I believe etc, etc

Don't you mean:

"you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark"....it was one of Shaw's I believe etc, etc

I had that Monty Python sketch in mind but didn't bother looking it up. What about a bit of artistic license (qv. the penultimate supper)?

Don't you mean:

I had that Monty Python sketch in mind but didn't bother looking it up. What about a bit of artistic license (qv. the penultimate supper)?

Quite right..!

Who says Germans don't have a sense of humour!?

• Like 1

IT WAS ALL A CUNNING TRAP BY MERKEL

According to German Spiegel Magazine Merkel nearly always used a cell phone paid for by her conservative political party CDU because it was near impossible to distinguish between calls relating to CDU party communications vs. official government business and she wanted to avoid rows as to who was paying for the quite numerous calls and SMSs.

So she wasn't using her official encrypted cell phone mostly and using secured fixed lines for sensitive matters.

She was quoted by Spiegel: "I have a consistent logic with regard to my communication. Hence I believe that everyone talking to me will basically always hear the same things."

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/spaehaffaere-merkel-klaert-raetsel-um-ihr-handy-auf-a-929922.html (German)

That actually sounds very likely and the content of those calls would hence basically boil down to:

"I consciously hold... I quite consciously say.... a mutual solution ....transparently... sustainable.... in a partnership setting.... "

While its nice to know a head of state is sometimes actually conscious when talking, you're always left wondering what she is saying even when you try to dissect those sentences.

What we need to discuss here is basic worker's rights with regard to the people who have to listen into that drivel eight hours a day! w00t.gif

Transcript of intercepted Merkel SMSs

(Satire on Spiegel Magazine, translation and [annotations] by yours truly, parts pertaining to German internal politics removed though splendid)

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/gesellschaft/merkels-fiktive-sms-protokolle-a-929813.html

Dawn of the NSA-Affair

Pofalla, Ronald [Chancellery Chief of Staff Poodle] » Merkel, Angela 01.07.13 10:23:04
"Boss, you read that? Allegedly you're being spied on by the NSA. We need to do something."

Merkel, Angela » Pofalla, Ronald 01.07.13 10:24:17

"Bad timing because of the Obama visit. We react as always."

Pofalla, Ronald » Merkel, Angela 01.07.13 10:25:03

"Not at all then. Very good idea boss"

Obama Visit

Merkel, Angela » Sauer, Joachim [her commmon-law spouse] 19.06.13 11:07:39

"If that Gauck fellow [German President] calls: I'm not available. BO arrives, I'm so very excited."

Merkel, Angela » Sauer, Joachim 19.06.13 16.32:07

"Can you phone me back? BO just called me a friend! We should get him a personal present for his trip home. Can you get something from home?"

Merkel, Angela » Obama, Barack 19.06.13 22:27:34
[in English:] "Dear Barack, it was a pleasure having you in Berlin. I hope you enjoyed your stay and that you like our Streuselkuchen [crumble cake]. I made it."

Obama, Barack » Merkel, Angela 19.06.13 22:58:03
"Who are you and who gave you this number?"

Merkels Cell Phone

Merkel, Angela » Pofalla, Ronald 23.10.13 08:17:45
"Now those French have complained we must do something, too."

Pofalla, Ronald » Merkel, Angela 23.10.13 08:18:12
"Very good idea, boss. But what?"

Merkel, Angela » Pofalla, Ronald 23.10.13 08:19:24
"They are reportedly listening in on everything here. I will not stand for that. Then I can't be called quiescent anymore."

Merkel, Angela » Sauer, Joachim 23.10.13 08:25:13
"Switch on the news, today I will pay back Obama for never thanking us for our Streuselkuchen."

Obama, Barack » Merkel, Angela 23.10.13 08:26:33
"Dear Angela, it just occurred to me that I never thanked you for your lovely Streuselkuchen. It has a place of honor on my desk. Michelle waters it every day. Your friend Barack"

Merkel, Angela » Obama, Barack 23.10.13 08:27:07
"Barack, we have to talk."

Report: US May Have Bugged Merkel Phone for More than a Decade

The U.S. National Security Agency may have bugged German Chancellor Angela Merkel's phone for more than 10 years, according to a news report Saturday by the German weekly Der Spiegel.
Der Spiegel also cited a source in Ms. Merkel's office saying U.S. President Barack Obama apologized to the German leader when she called him this past Wednesday to seek clarification on the issue.
Edited by lomatopo

The U.S. National Security Agency may have bugged German Chancellor Angela Merkel's phone for more than 10 years, according to a news report Saturday by the German weekly Der Spiegel. Der Spiegel also cited a source in Ms. Merkel's office saying U.S. President Barack Obama apologized to the German leader when she called him this past Wednesday to seek clarification on the issue.

Another part of that VOA article provides an illustration of how goofball much of this showboating has become.

"Germany is also working with Brazil on a draft United Nations General Assembly resolution to guarantee people's privacy in electronic communications. U.N. diplomats say it would call for extending the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to Internet activities, but would not mention the United States."

I wonder if this resolution will also be co-sponsored by China, North Korea, Iran, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos?

Since all of those countries have signed on to the original International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. That's the Covenant that commits its parties to respect the civil and political rights of individuals, including the right to life, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, electoral rights and rights to due process and a fair trial.

Let's review those countries again; China, North Korea, Iran, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

Here is another article from Der Spiegel on the current outrage de jour. "'That's Just Not Done': Merkel Comments on Spying Allegations"

"Spying between friends, that's just not done," she said upon arriving in Brussels for a planned, two-day summit of European Union leaders.

That is total BS and she knows it's total BS. Anyone with at least two brain cells knows that her own intelligence services do the same thing.

There is one sentence in the article that accurately illuminates the true reason that Chancellor Merkel is spouting all this faux outrage now. Of course, you have to read all the way down to the very end of the article.

" Meanwhile, Merkel is facing domestic political pressures, as she attempts to form a coalition government between her conservative Christian Democratic Union and the opposition Social Democrats before Christmas. "

Another part of that VOA article provides an illustration of how goofball much of this showboating has become.

"Germany is also working with Brazil on a draft United Nations General Assembly resolution to guarantee people's privacy in electronic communications. U.N. diplomats say it would call for extending the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to Internet activities, but would not mention the United States."

I wonder if this resolution will also be co-sponsored by China, North Korea, Iran, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos?

Since all of those countries have signed on to the original International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. That's the Covenant that commits its parties to respect the civil and political rights of individuals, including the right to life, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, electoral rights and rights to due process and a fair trial.

Let's review those countries again; China, North Korea, Iran, Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

Yup. And the guy bugging her would have been better off in a US Supermax prison for ten years instead of having to listen to her usual drivel.

I have always wanted to go to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Cuba... well, forget the rest for the time being.

There will be lots of other countries joining in shortly, I bet. 21 is not a bad start with Norway and Sweden (so struggling to be the US bested friend) joining the fray.

If you care, read:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/25/europe-erupts-nsa-spying-chief-government

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/140155/henry-farrell-and-martha-finnemore/the-end-of-hypocrisy

The deeper threat that leakers such as Manning and Snowden pose is more subtle than a direct assault on U.S. national security: they undermine Washington’s ability to act hypocritically and get away with it. Their danger lies not in the new information that they reveal but in the documented confirmation they provide of what the United States is actually doing and why.

As it happened, your post interrupted my study of one FP article 'This Is Not How a Protection Racket Is Supposed to Work' http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/10/21/this_is_not_how_a_protection_racket_is_supposed_to_work?page=0,0

Kindly remind me, when was the last time the US so much as uttered a tiny little bit of critique over it's big Arab ally Saudi Arabia'S human rights record? coffee1.gif

Edited by Saradoc1972

Here is another article from Der Spiegel on the current outrage de jour. "'That's Just Not Done': Merkel Comments on Spying Allegations"

"Spying between friends, that's just not done," she said upon arriving in Brussels for a planned, two-day summit of European Union leaders.

That is total BS and she knows it's total BS. Anyone with at least two brain cells knows that her own intelligence services do the same thing.

There is one sentence in the article that accurately illuminates the true reason that Chancellor Merkel is spouting all this faux outrage now. Of course, you have to read all the way down to the very end of the article.

" Meanwhile, Merkel is facing domestic political pressures, as she attempts to form a coalition government between her conservative Christian Democratic Union and the opposition Social Democrats before Christmas. "

That is one point we can actually agree on. It's not total bullshit, but some 50%.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/10/24/exclusive_germany_brazil_turn_to_un_to_restrain_american_spies

"There's a mixture of hypocrisy and feigned outrage along with real objections here," said a former senior intelligence official. "I don't know where the line is. The idea that political leaders are out of bounds for foreign intelligence is amusing. But on the other hand this business about trusting allies is a big thing. My guess is there's a real annoyance here" on the part of foreign allies.

Let's both subscribe to that.

But as I wrote in a previous post, this is all about "someone" overdoing all that spying.

Your further quote from Spiegel magazine regarding domestic politics is accurate. I've just been trying to dig up the German version, no such luck.

I don't know who compiled that article, but it doesn't fit with what I am reading on domestic politics in Germany. It pretty much looks like that reporter just fit in a sentence at the end about what else is happening in Germany, it looks very much out of context to me. Far be it from me defending Merkel.

Merkel is trying to form a grand coalition, but she is in a comfortable position having won some 49% of all votes in the last election last September. She can choose between the Greens and the Social Democrats at whim. But in the end she rules, even with re-elections, no pressure at all.

Social Democrats have put ten points of interest on the table during coalition talks, all relating to domestic politics: taxes, minimum wages, etc. - never mind. During the elections they inveighed heavily on her inactivity on the Snowden affair, but nothing of that is in there now. They've gone pretty much mum on that wanting to join the government. Splitters!

While it's not about the coalition talks, she is probably worrying about how she looks in this. So having been totally quiescent in summer, she wants to make up for it now.

Whatever she does, be aware she is the perfect political machine, "Helmut Kohl's girl". She has no fixed values or "politics" whatsoever, she only cares about being re-elected.

Call her a hypocrite, you are welcome. But sometimes even hypocrites do the right thing.

<snip>

That is one point we can actually agree on. It's not total bullshit, but some 50%.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/10/24/exclusive_germany_brazil_turn_to_un_to_restrain_american_spies

"There's a mixture of hypocrisy and feigned outrage along with real objections here," said a former senior intelligence official. "I don't know where the line is. The idea that political leaders are out of bounds for foreign intelligence is amusing. But on the other hand this business about trusting allies is a big thing. My guess is there's a real annoyance here" on the part of foreign allies.

Let's both subscribe to that.

But as I wrote in a previous post, this is all about "someone" overdoing all that spying.

Your further quote from Spiegel magazine regarding domestic politics is accurate. I've just been trying to dig up the German version, no such luck.

I don't know who compiled that article, but it doesn't fit with what I am reading on domestic politics in Germany. It pretty much looks like that reporter just fit in a sentence at the end about what else is happening in Germany, it looks very much out of context to me. Far be it from me defending Merkel.

Merkel is trying to form a grand coalition, but she is in a comfortable position having won some 49% of all votes in the last election last September. She can choose between the Greens and the Social Democrats at whim. But in the end she rules, even with re-elections, no pressure at all.

Social Democrats have put ten points of interest on the table during coalition talks, all relating to domestic politics: taxes, minimum wages, etc. - never mind. During the elections they inveighed heavily on her inactivity on the Snowden affair, but nothing of that is in there now. They've gone pretty much mum on that wanting to join the government. Splitters!

While it's not about the coalition talks, she is probably worrying about how she looks in this. So having been totally quiescent in summer, she wants to make up for it now.

Whatever she does, be aware she is the perfect political machine, "Helmut Kohl's girl". She has no fixed values or "politics" whatsoever, she only cares about being re-elected.

Call her a hypocrite, you are welcome. But sometimes even hypocrites do the right thing.

"Whatever she does, be aware she is the perfect political machine, "Helmut Kohl's girl". She has no fixed values or "politics" whatsoever, she only cares about being re-elected."

Yes. We have quite a few of those over here on the other side of the pond also.
One other reason for all the loud faux outrage from Merkel and the other European politicians is that it keeps that issue in the headlines and front pages of the news media. And while the NSA scandal is on the front pages, guess what is NOT on the front pages? Things like the continuing EURO problems and the economic/employment problems in Greece, Spain, etc.
It's the same with the politicians over here in the U.S. Before the " Attack Syria" push, what was on the front pages and the headlines here in the U.S.? Benghazi scandal, IRS scandal, press surveillance, and the NSA scandal! IMO, the real reason that Obama was so gung-ho about military intervention in Syria was to push those pesky scandals off the front pages and daily headlines. Then, after that, he loved the "Shutdown Crisis" for the same reason.
Same, Same. Not Different !!!

Everyone spies: Intelligence insiders shrug amid outrage over US snooping allegations

LONDON - Amid the growing furor over allegations that the United States spied on some of its closest allies in Europe including German Chancellor Angela Merkel a quiet refrain is being repeated by intelligence insiders across the continent: We all do it.

Finding out what other governments are thinking is what [intelligence] agencies do, a former British intelligence official said on the condition of anonymity.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/29/21226891-everyone-spies-intelligence-insiders-shrug-amid-outrage-over-us-snooping-allegations?lite

• Like 1

According to the LA Times, both the White House and State Department signed off on the NSA actions. This is no surprise at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White House OKd spying on allies, U.S. intelligence officials say
NSA and other U.S. intelligence agency staff members are said to be angry at President Obama for denying knowledge of the spying.
By Ken Dilanian and Janet Stobart
October 28, 2013, 7:25 p.m.
WASHINGTON -- The White House and State Department signed off on surveillance targeting phone conversations of friendly foreign leaders, current and former U.S. intelligence officials said Monday, pushing back against assertions that President Obama and his aides were unaware of the high-level eavesdropping.
Professional staff members at the National Security Agency and other U.S. intelligence agencies are angry, these officials say, believing the president has cast them adrift as he tries to distance himself from the disclosures by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden that have strained ties with close allies.
The resistance emerged as the White House said it would curtail foreign intelligence collection in some cases and two senior U.S. senators called for investigations of the practice.

Everyone spies: Intelligence insiders shrug amid outrage over US snooping allegations

LONDON - Amid the growing furor over allegations that the United States spied on some of its closest allies in Europe including German Chancellor Angela Merkel a quiet refrain is being repeated by intelligence insiders across the continent: We all do it.

Finding out what other governments are thinking is what [intelligence] agencies do, a former British intelligence official said on the condition of anonymity.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/29/21226891-everyone-spies-intelligence-insiders-shrug-amid-outrage-over-us-snooping-allegations?lite

Exactly! You might as well title this whole farce " News Flash: Fish swim in water! Who knew? "

Merkel and the rest of these yipping politicians know very well that their own intelligence agencies have, are now, and will continue to do the same thing. The real purpose for all this faux outrage is to keep the NSA scandal on the front page and things like the economic problems in Europe off of the front pages.

• Like 2

Technically, he is correct in the very first statement . . ., but some of this gets pretty ridiculous. Accidents? Yeah, right. Like a 5 year-old caught with its hand in the cookie jar. Ridiculous. Why not just grow some balls and say F-off. I am paid to keep country safe and that is what I do. F-off . . .

-----

U.S. intelligence gathering has been 'lawful': Spy chief Clapper

The U.S. spy chiefs defended the NSA's data collection programs to a Congressional committee on Tuesday, saying the activities were lawful, aimed at foreign terrorists and saved lives.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper warned those calling for reform of the National Security Agency they must avoid “over-correcting.”

“We believe we have been lawful and that the rigorous oversight we’ve operated under has been effective,” Clapper told the House Intelligence Committee.

“We do not spy on anyone except for valid foreign intelligence purposes and we do not violate the law.”

Clapper conceded “mistakes have been made,” blaming them on human error or technical problems and said there has been an “erosion of trust in the in the intelligence community.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/29/21233196-us-intelligence-gathering-has-been-lawful-spy-chief-clapper?lite

• Like 1

NSA spying: Is Angela Merkel a terrorist? Glenn Greenwald asks US
by Supriya Jha
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 16:21
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Rubbishing as "deceit" the United States' claim that the main motive of the NSA surveillance was counter-terrorism, the journalist who exposed the leaks made by Edward Snowden, said that American spying was "economic espionage" and done in order to seek "political power".
Glenn Greenwald, who recently quit The Guardian to join eBay founder Pierre Omidyar for a new online venture blasted the Americans' oft-repeated stance in favour of NSA spying saying that the surveillance was directed not against terrorists but majorly at "innocent peoples around the world".
Speaking to the CNN's Christine Amanpour, Greenwald said, “This is clearly about political power and economic espionage, and the claim that this is all about terrorism is seen around the world as what it is, which is pure deceit.”