BKK train to ChangMai under construction?

Closed from Sila At/Uttaradit to Chiang Mai until 31 October, suspect that date will not be met even though the work is 70% complete. Bus service between Uttaradit and Chiang Mai.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666133-train-service-to-chiang-mai-stopped-september-16-for-major-repairs/

BANGKOK, 20 October 2013 (NNT) - More than 70% of the train tracks in northern Thailand have been repaired, according to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).
Mr Suprabhat Seniwongse na Ayudhya, a chief engineer at the SRT, said on Sunday that the tracks in the North, running between Sila At station in Uttaradit and Chiang Mai, have been closed for maintenance since Sept 16, 2013.
He said that over 70% of the train line in Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lamphun and Phrae provinces has been repaired so far. Railway sleepers are replaced, topped with new 100-pound rail tracks.
The chief engineer said the maintenance work was not disrupted despite some heavy rain in upper Thailand over the past few days, especially in Lampang province. The work will certainly be completed by the end of this month, and the rail service should resume its usual service on Nov 1, 2013.

Closed from Sila At/Uttaradit to Chiang Mai until 31 October, suspect that date will not be met even though the work is 70% complete. Bus service between Uttaradit and Chiang Mai.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666133-train-service-to-chiang-mai-stopped-september-16-for-major-repairs/

BANGKOK, 20 October 2013 (NNT) - More than 70% of the train tracks in northern Thailand have been repaired, according to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).
Mr Suprabhat Seniwongse na Ayudhya, a chief engineer at the SRT, said on Sunday that the tracks in the North, running between Sila At station in Uttaradit and Chiang Mai, have been closed for maintenance since Sept 16, 2013.
He said that over 70% of the train line in Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lamphun and Phrae provinces has been repaired so far. Railway sleepers are replaced, topped with new 100-pound rail tracks.
The chief engineer said the maintenance work was not disrupted despite some heavy rain in upper Thailand over the past few days, especially in Lampang province. The work will certainly be completed by the end of this month, and the rail service should resume its usual service on Nov 1, 2013.

Should end with ......and the rail service should resume it's usually slow and poor service on Nov 1, 2013

You have a choice in Thailand, go by Rail,and good chance to train will come off

the tracks,but they don't go so fast, so chance you will survive, or go by Bus,

which go too fast with increased chance of accident,survival only if you are lucky,

If /when/maybe they get the Hi Speed trains this situation will be reversed.

regards worgeordie

Oh,Thanks for the heads up!

I'm headed to Chang Mai Oct 2nd

Seems to be a moot issue! ;) (Obviously you meant Nov)

The area being repaired was intended to be closed until the end of Oct as Lomo stated. However, I always thought that this will run into the 2nd week of Nov and the NNT release would support that if it was only 70% done by 19/20 Oct.

The norm would suggest that the end of Nov is also likely. SRT site for updates of the 2Bangkok.com site which has updates on the works

As a novelty thing I was thinking of getting a day train from BKK to Chaing Mai , has anyone done this ? the main idea was to at least see some scenery as opposed to the flight - anyone know what its like for food , drinks toilets etc , can you get seats with a table ?

It is reported the line will now not open till 1st December 2013,

due to shortage of labour and rain. so if you want to get to

Chiang Mai it will have to be by bus or air,by air been the

safest way.

regards Worgeordie

• 4 weeks later...

As a novelty thing I was thinking of getting a day train from BKK to Chaing Mai , has anyone done this ? the main idea was to at least see some scenery as opposed to the flight - anyone know what its like for food , drinks toilets etc , can you get seats with a table ?

I've done this. Lots of food sellers on the train selling the usual Thai food. I don't think there are any tables in the carriages though. I didn't see any. It's a slow but pleasant journey.

Just to advise that the Northern Line is all set to reopen tomorrow.

The first train from BKK will be the evening dep. O/N Special Expresses, not the morning one.

Reportedly, all 1st & 2nd class tickets for the whole of December are sold out but do check that.