second hand car to choose

gaurang

Hi all,

I guess there would have been many post like this earlier, but i would like you guys to help me choose as i m a noob in case of cars.

I would like to buy a vehicle for my normal use as i stay a lil bit far from city (Lat krabang) and its a bit of a mess to go around without a vehicle.

I would be opting for a second hand vehicle as this would be my first time buying one.

Being tight on budget (approx 400,000 thb)i found one of this a 2012 ford fiesta http://www.one2car.com/FORD_FIESTA/D05130159

and 2013 nissan almera http://www.one2car.com/NISSAN_ALMERA/H05130011

However i also found 2002 BMW 3 series 318i nearly for the same price range.

I know this are just online searches and the actual vehicle needs to be checked before deciding.

well i am just confused..any help would be appreciated.

Hello Gaurang,

at least it's your decision but since we're in LoS here with not the best road conditions at all and also for some other facts like fuel consumption, safety and more to think about maybe you'll go with a Diesel engine in a Toyota Hilux Pickup. For the money you're going to spend I think you could find a good one with a 2.5 litre DID. Best luck in finding a good one.

I love BMWs, but i really recommend you not get such an old one here in Thailand. Especially not the 4 cylinder engines, they are less reliable than the inline 6 (last forever basically, at least the old ones) In the EU an old bimmer is no problem, spare parts are cheap, can be found everywhere and every garage has experience with BMWs. You should only go for an old BMW here, if you have a friend with garage or a BMW mech. The risk is high that you will have to put some serious money into the car in the long term......auto gearbox, undercarriage, engine - expensive.

If you set yourself a tight budget, the only reasonable way is to stay with the japanese cars. Cheap to run, cheap to maintain, everyone has experience with them. Unlike the 2002 BMW, it will have another 10years+ of lifespan. Honda City? The current model should be available around 400k, Fiesta is nice too.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Can't go wrong with the BM I reckon, but try and get the I6 engine if you can afford it and if you can find one. BMWs in Thailand last forever and retain their value. Most models available here will have been assembled in Rayong and so parts will be fairly easy to find. It is quite common for the older models (E30, E36, E34) to have Japanese turbo powerplants so you could end up with a real monster if you go older.

I find it hard to get passionate about those Japanese cars. You'll get more satisfaction driving something you actually want and enjoy IMO.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with the BM I reckon, but try and get the I6 engine if you can afford it and if you can find one. BMWs in Thailand last forever and retain their value. Most models available here will have been assembled in Rayong and so parts will be fairly easy to find. It is quite common for the older models (E30, E36, E34) to have Japanese turbo powerplants so you could end up with a real monster if you go older.

I find it hard to get passionate about those Japanese cars. You'll get more satisfaction driving something you actually want and enjoy IMO.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well somehow you are right, a car enthusiast would go for the 3 Series and enjoy his ride every day. I´d say the fun starts with a E46 323i, 2.5l R6, 170HP, 250NM, smooth, responsive, great sound. But hard to find a decent one at around 400K, they seem to be stuck in the 500K region. If the 318 is the only affordable option, watch out for the 143HP version, not the 118HP. They have changed around 2002. Not sure if Thailand got it in the same time. E36 with a 1JZ swap should be a hell of a ride and starts at 300k, but then you also don´t know what you are going to get, no peace of mind.

But I still think the financial risks with an older BM are higher. Gaurang wrote he´s got to calculate with a tight budget, so i asume any expensive surprises should be avoided.

Ford Focus? Much more refined than a Nissan Almera, some more fun with the 2.0 S

http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=j14130025

http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=h20130414

Mitsubishi Lancer EX, like the look, drives well

http://www.one2car.com/MITSUBISHI_LANCER/D03130485

Hard to decide, there are pretty much options to choose from.

Edited by I knew this would happen