How to stay in Thailand long term?

I'm planning to move to Thailand long term in the near future.

I have savings, but will eventually work.

I am thinking I will get a triple tourist visa before arriving , then perhaps study for a year or 2 - and look for a job or form a company eventually.

I am thinking the triple tourist visa will give me 9 months off the bat - but I understand that if I want to transfer that into an ED visa I must have Atleast 30 days remaining on my current visa.

I am thinking I can then study and eventually work.

I am under the impression that the cost of an ED visa is about 30,000 per year. Is this correct? I do not want to do university studies , and want to find a school to study Thai language .

I can receive money on a regular basis from investments , but I like to keep active and have qualifications to find employment.

Also, the thought of finding a Thai partner and getting married had crossed my mind.

Does my plan sound viable?

Any advice - or things to be wary of?

Thanx in advance.

Edited by lovesomtam

It seems it would work.

The 30,000 would not be only for the ED visa that should include your enrollment in a course of study paper work for ED visa and then extensions of stay.

You would probably have to leave the country to get an ED visa if studying at a language school. You could start school on your tourist visa and then go out for the ED visa with paperwork from school.

• Like 1

It seems it would work.

The 30,000 would not be only for the ED visa that should include your enrollment in a course of study paper work for ED visa and then extensions of stay.

l.

As a matter of interest, how much would the total costs for a year be?

Thanks very much for the reply.

Average cost for a one year enrollment is from 20K to 25K baht which would include paper work for visa and extensions. A visa costs 2000 baht and each extension 1900 baht. How often you have to extensions dependents upon where you are at. In Bangkok it is every 90 days.

• Like 2

As an example, here's the website of a school that offers many different courses all of which can be stretched into 5 years of study The visa costs are stated above, 2000 baht + three extensions at 1900 baht each for the first year of study or 7700 baht plus the cost of the course, Each additional year will require four extensions at 1900 baht each or 7600 baht, a whopping savings of 100 baht! http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/

Good luck!

• Like 1

Come here take a Thai language course and if you are a native English speaker with a diploma or a degree you are pretty well guaranteed a teaching job.

I did this and have rarely been without work. Today while thinking of going to a retirement visa I get a call from the local Technical College, who hired me an hour ago. I left a resume with them two months ago.

This has been going on now for 4 years and I am 63 this weekend.

I cannot seem to get away from work.

• Like 2

i agree retirement visa is the easiest way. you must report every 90 days unless you leave the country and you roll over your

visa every 12 months and as long as you have all the correct documents/bank letters it will take no longer then 15/20 minutes as

long as the local immigration office is not crowded.. .. my wife and i have been doing this for over 6 years now and never an issue.

they are also clamping down on the ED visas... as this being abused by too many people..

working here you need to be very careful even charity work or working with non payment you are not allowed to do.

to get a work permit can be very time consuming and costly and the paperwork i understand is a lot.... and needs to be renewed each year..

on a retirement visa you cannot do any form of work..

marriage to thai lady, its not that i should generalise about all ladies but unfortunately i have seen to many many bad

relationships and foreign/western men taken to the cleaners.... i have also friends with lovely thai wives.... who they have met in

respectable places....

good luck it is a lovely place to live as long as you can accept some of the thai ways.....

• Like 1

Age quickly, get to 50, retirement visa....simple. Worked for me:-)

I'm quite a few years away from 50. But as a matter of interest - what are the requirements? - or should I say, how much do you need in the bank???

As long as now it's just a matter of how much, 10 million baht in the bank and they no longer care how old you are.

Police Order 777/2551 2.5 'In case of Investment'

• Like 1

you say "things to be wary of"-------- Yes ,just about everything you stated in your post !!!!!

You want to work

you want to start a business

you think you may study and work

you want to speak Thai

You think you may get married Man that's one hell of a wish list------ How old are you ?

• Like 1

800k baht or 65k baht income or a combination of the two.

Have often wondered if you could use 200,000 baht in the bank. Make up the difference with 49,000 or 50,000 guaranteed income?

I hope the Thai baht never gets that high that I would have to resort to that. I could qualify for a marriage one but that is far more trouble than the retirement one.

you say "things to be wary of"-------- Yes ,just about everything you stated in your post !!!!!

You want to work

you want to start a business

you think you may study and work

you want to speak Thai

You think you may get married Man that's one hell of a wish list------ How old are you ?

It certainly is but if he is young got to admit he has ambition. Sounds to me like he is young and money is not a big problem with him yet.

The wife one can be extremely rewording but it can be extremely bad.

That of course applies to western cultures also. The big difference in the western culture they know each other a bit longer than the ones here.

Take the time to understand the culture a little bit before marrying it.

• Like 1

800k baht or 65k baht income or a combination of the two.

Have often wondered if you could use 200,000 baht in the bank. Make up the difference with 49,000 or 50,000 guaranteed income?

I hope the Thai baht never gets that high that I would have to resort to that. I could qualify for a marriage one but that is far more trouble than the retirement one.

That is what the combination method is meant for. Any combination that reaches the 800K baht number will work. They might be a bit more picky if money in bank was more than income though.

I just completed my 6th extension based upon marriage and don't find it to be that big a problem. Certainly not enough to put some money in the bank to do it for retirement.

• Like 1

Just curious what made you choose Thailand? I have been fortunate (and unfortunate) to have lived in a few places in the past thirty-five years and never would have considered Thailand upfront. I have lived in the US, England, Ireland, Mexico, Canada, Portugal, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Morocco, and a few other places before here. Most of these for more than 3 years at one time.

Many other places as well that have easier visa issues, better employment options, better schools/education options, better healthcare and so on.....so why Thailand?

Just curious?

• Like 2

^ I used to have a small manufacturing factory in Thailand , during which time I visited regularly. I also spend a few years living in Bangkok back when non O visas ( is that what they are called?) were easy to get with the various companies offering some what dubious services. I left around the time they clamped down on those companies as visas became a headache. Since then I have mostly been based in Japan but as the constant earthquakes ( they say the big one is yet to come) and radiation fears are close to where I had planned to eventually retire, and my private life having turned for the worse, sunny Thailand , which I am familiar with, and has better infrustructure than neighboring countries , nice food and friendly people sounds appealing again. Last time I lived with my former Japanese spouse in BKK and all of our neighbors in the building we lived in were Japanese and I am embarrassed to say how little thai I learned during my time there - although my Japanese improved!

Next time around, if I decide to make the move, I will make it a long term plan , and make an effort to know the language and people more. I must be one of the few westerners to live in Thailand for an extended period, and not have a Thai girlfriend ! - though I do admit to sampling the pay for play girls at times. I am only human after all and the temptation is just so strong there!

I am early 40's and have spent almost 20 years outside of my home country , all of those years being in Asia , so the west , I feel, just isn't an option for me as I truly feel like a fish out of water in my home country. I'm sure many of you guys can relate to that!

Yes- perhaps "planning" to get married to somebody I have not even met may sound strange, but I do hope to find somebody to raise a family and grow old with ..... And if that does happen sooner rather than later and it helps me with visa issues, so be it. I am rather fussy though, so I suppose I will have to make an effort to find a "nice girl" which I hope studying Thai and doing some business may make that easier.

I have read this site for years, and stickmans , but never posted until recently, so I feel with my time spent in Thailand and the horror stories I have read I have an idea of what to look out for. Famous last words I can hear some of you saying! ha!

Thank you to everybody for all of your great and informative replies! You guys rock!

I'm sure I will be around with more questions for you again, and I also hope to be of help to anyone I can.

Cheers.

Edited by lovesomtam
  • Like 2

Let's not do the Math on how much you are going to spend.

You can stay long here anyway you have your source of income from your investment. Just be sure you can rely on it.

Just don't do anything that will result to deporting.