Political rallies suspended after Supreme Patriarch's death

webfact

Political Rallies Suspended After Supreme Patriarch's Death

BANGKOK: -- The death of the Supreme Patriarch, the spiritual leader of the Thai Buddhists, has caused political groups to suspend their scheduled rallies, as the nation begins its 15 day mourning period.

After battling a prolonged illness at an elderly age for almost a decade, Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara passed away last night at Chulalongkorn Hospital. He was 100.

Official statement said that His Holiness died of blood sepsis at 19.30. Although his death was announced more than a hour later on nationwide TV broadcast, much of the social network was already made aware of the news due to Facebook posts made by close aides of the late Supreme Patriarch.

News reports say nightlife establishments and other related venues where alcohol is served would be "asked" to close down throughout the national mourning, appointed to be 15 days, due to Buddhist religious belief which frowns on consumption of alcohol.

Meanwhile, anti-government faction has responded to the Supreme Patriarch′s death by cancelling their activities.

The Students and People Network For Political Reform, which has been organising protests against the government at Uruphong Intersection, released a statement that the protesters will not demonstrate out of their encampments throughout the 15 days of mourning.

The statement added that the Student and People Network leadership will discuss about further political activities once the national mourning is over.

The White Masks, yet another anti-government activist group, also cancelled their upcoming protest, which was planned to take place in Bangkok this Saturday.

Similarly, the Democrat Party postponed its rally from 26 October to 2 November. The rally was slated to feature appearances of top Democrat officials berating the government′s attempts to amend the Constitution and borrow money for its 2.2 trillion infrastructure overhaul project.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1qWTVNVEV5TWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-25

I wonder if TAT will announce to potential tourists that the LOS will be 'dry' for two weeks as the Thais respect their religion just as they would like others too.

And why should Christs, Hindus, Atheists etc etc don't drink their beer?

"News reports say nightlife establishments and other related venues where alcohol is served would be "asked" to close down throughout the national mourning, appointed to be 15 days, due to Buddhist religious belief which frowns on consumption of alcohol."

Hmm, asked or told? Going to cost some people a lot if this is enforced. Of course I'm sure a blind eye could be turned for a little "gift".

• Like 1

"News reports say nightlife establishments and other related venues where alcohol is served would be "asked" to close down throughout the national mourning, appointed to be 15 days, due to Buddhist religious belief which frowns on consumption of alcohol."

Hmm, asked or told? Going to cost some people a lot if this is enforced. Of course I'm sure a blind eye could be turned for a little "gift".

Friends of mine in Chiang Mai have been issued letters not on offical letterhead, stating NO ALCOHOL AT ALL between Nov 2nd and Nov 3 due to ELECTIONS and they state this is the FIRST time in many years they have had such letters DELEIVERED IN PERSON WITH A FRIENDLY MESSAGE, even though it is the law.

The point is they state they are starting to feel the RED RAGE against foreign businesses.

I wonder if TAT will announce to potential tourists that the LOS will be 'dry' for two weeks as the Thais respect their religion just as they would like others too.

And why should Christs, Hindus, Atheists etc etc don't drink their beer?

It is called respect for others. Something you might understand.

Friends of mine in Chiang Mai have been issued letters not on offical letterhead, stating NO ALCOHOL AT ALL between Nov 2nd and Nov 3 due to ELECTIONS and they state this is the FIRST time in many years they have had such letters DELEIVERED IN PERSON WITH A FRIENDLY MESSAGE, even though it is the law.

The point is they state they are starting to feel the RED RAGE against foreign businesses.

Please expand on the RED RAGE against foreign businesses. what do you mean??

I don't expect Thaksin will delay his activities. I expect that he might bring forward passing the Amnesty Bill to take advantage of the Opposition postponing their activities.

Nice to see the great and the good are not taking the news of the Supreme Patriarchs death as an opportunity to continue their obsessive hate posting............Oh.

News reports say nightlife establishments and other related venues where alcohol is served would be "asked" to close down throughout the national mourning, appointed to be 15 days, due to Buddhist religious belief which frowns on consumption of alcohol.

Thais stop drinking for 15 days... not likely. It would be very bad for business, not to mention tourism.

As an aside, in the 'other' paper they are saying the mourning period may be extended to 30 days. Now that would be really bad for business.

If, as a personal gesture, you wish to abstain, that is indeed your perogative, but to force everyone, regardless of religous belief, to stay dry is asking too much, especially for 15 (or 30) days.

Amazing Thailand, indeed.

• Like 2

Thais stop drinking for 15 days... not likely. It would be very bad for business, not to mention tourism.

As an aside, in the 'other' paper they are saying the mourning period may be extended to 30 days. Now that would be really bad for business.

If, as a personal gesture, you wish to abstain, that is indeed your perogative, but to force everyone, regardless of religous belief, to stay dry is asking too much, especially for 15 (or 30) days.

Amazing Thailand, indeed.

I always think on when alcohol sales is banned on Buddhist days, that it is very un-Buddhist. As long as I know Buddha never told "and these who don't follow me shall be punished"

• Like 1

Been here 13 years ....Who or what is this supreme patriarch, just asked the Mrs.(Thai ) she don't know either.... so I don't think it will be any great concern amongst Thais, or me for that matter!

Been here 13 years ....Who or what is this supreme patriarch, just asked the Mrs.(Thai ) she don't know either.... so I don't think it will be any great concern amongst Thais, or me for that matter!

post-9891-0-09974700-1382712139_thumb.jp

How are you and the wife doing these days out there under that rock?

A 15 (or 30) day dry-out might be good for the many "barflies" in Thailand. Don't like it? Go drink in Cambodia. I don't think it will affect tourism as most tourists already have their tickets and reservations. Also, I expect that bars in large Western tourist hotels will remain open, since closure seems to be optional..

attachicon.gifib1.jpg

How are you and the wife doing these days out there under that rock?

wonderful thank you! been married years she's just not very Buddhist, she's 48years old owns her own restaurant in south loves her dogs and enjoys her beer , me personally I just live here albeit between very occasional contracts and have absolutely no interest in such things so thank you for your concern...yes we are doing very well

• Like 2

Election days are always alcohol free, for Thai and foreign businesses.

Or maybe just being asked to observe the law?

Election days are always alcohol free, for Thai and foreign businesses.

Don't get married on one!

Although only anti-government protesters are mentioned I assume also the upcoming anti-anti-government protests will be suspended, like the one planned for Chatuchak ?

Well if there isn't an anti-government rally, then how could there possibly be an anti-anti-government rally?

A chicken-and-egg problem it ain't.

Or maybe just being asked to observe the law?

Is there a law saying you can't sell alcohol on November 2 & 3?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app