download speeds to US sites with 3bb 10MB 590 baht plan?

tyznd

I live in the area near Big C on Hang Dong road and have the 3bb Premier plan at 1090 baht a month. Right now my download speed when I connect to websites in the US are currently around 2MB though I am supposed to get 3MB.

Does anyone live around this area that has the 3bb 10 MB plan at 590 baht and if so are you getting at least 2 or 3 MB speeds to the US? People at 3bb tell me it won't be as good as the Premier plan for outside Thailand but I'm starting to wonder about that. Anyway, hope someone can provide me some input on this.

How are you benchmarking it? I'm on the north side of Chiang Mai and have the 3BB 590 bat plan. Most of the time I get much greater than that speeds that you indicated if I measure them against one of the US based servers at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/. At the moment that test is telling me that I'm getting 11Mbps against the New York server even though the package is only advertized to give 10Mbps. However the speed of my connection is not consistent, sometimes it is fast but other times it seems as though 3BB is throttling the connection down to something much less than 1Mbps.

Edited by AngelsLariat

AngelsLariat,

Just used at 5.49PM speakeasy to New York and got 3.04 MB which is about as good as it gets with my Premier 1090 baht plan. Whats the lowest you typically get with the 590 plan? If it is at least 3MB it's would definitely be worth it to me to switch. Thanks

Just used at 5.49PM speakeasy to New York and got 3.04 MB which is about as good as it gets with my Premier 1090 baht plan. Whats the lowest you typically get with the 590 plan? If it is at least 3MB it's would definitely be worth it to me to switch. Thanks

it can be very slow at peak hours (much less than 1 Mbps) but lately that has not been happening. But I bet that the Premier 1090 baht plan would also be affected by occasional slowdowns like that.

I don't converse in computer tech talk very well, but I do know this, and think it's worth passing on.

Maybe it was 10 or more months ago I decided to go for what I thought would be increased speed with 3BB's 13 Mbps. So for a couple months I was being charged the higher cost, naturally, but I didn't see any improvement in speed. After 3BB's line crew came out to look at my computer I was told what the problem was: the lines serving my neighborhood could not exceed a capacity greater than 10 Mbps! So no matter how much I wanted to pay for the super deluxe program, I'd just be throwing money away.

Of course, I quickly had them revert my plan to the 590 baht / 10 Mbps plan. Nonetheless, here in the countryside near Mae Rim I am quite satisfied with the speeds for my purposes.

. After 3BB's line crew came out to look at my computer I was told what the problem was: the lines serving my neighborhood could not exceed a capacity greater than 10 Mbps!

I once asked a TOT counter lady how much would 10MB and 15MB plans cost to compare them to True's fiber optics cable. She quoted a price. But she volunteered to call the IT office and have them check my TOT line. The answer came back lik Mr. Brad's; the max my TOT ADSL line could pass through where I live was 7MB.

So I would echo Mr. Brad's implied suggestion, get them to check what the line is actually capable of delivering.

• Like 1

I got 11.45 today. Why pay 1000 when you can pay almost half?

Because one is an idiot? Or because one is not actually paying half for the same thing?

This topic would be much better suited in the generic Internet forum, as it is not specific to CM, and

the OP would likely get better replies there.

I have never tried 3BB premier myself, but from what I have gathered from others on that forum,

the "premier" service is less likely to be throttled by 3BB (wheras the ordinary connections apparently

are, reducing their speed considerably at peak use times) and you are thus more likely to get what you pay

for. So if you pay for 3Mb, chances are you will get that all or most of the time. The rest, on e.g. the

ordinary 10Mb plan, will get anything from virtually zero Mb to 10Mb, depending on how congested the

network is, both in ones local area and further in to 3BB's network.

Possibly 3BB also tags the "premier" traffic as higher priority thus reducing the chance of packets getting dropped and stalling one's transfers, and perhaps reducing latency slightly too, though I have not seen anyone claim that. That might be because no one has attempted to test it, of course.

Because one is an idiot? Or because one is not actually paying half for the same thing?

This topic would be much better suited in the generic Internet forum, as it is not specific to CM, and

I have never tried 3BB premier myself, but from what I have gathered from others on that forum,

the "premier" service is less likely to be throttled by 3BB (wheras the ordinary connections apparently

are, reducing their speed considerably at peak use times) and you are thus more likely to get what you pay

for. So if you pay for 3Mb, chances are you will get that all or most of the time. The rest, on e.g. the

ordinary 10Mb plan, will get anything from virtually zero Mb to 10Mb, depending on how congested the

Possibly 3BB also tags the "premier" traffic as higher priority thus reducing the chance of packets getting dropped and stalling one's transfers, and perhaps reducing latency slightly too, though I have not seen anyone claim that. That might be because no one has attempted to test it, of course.

That's taking a lot on faith. Does 3BB actually say that for the higher price that they will give you a more consistent speed or prioritize your traffic, or do they just charge more and people assume that they must be getting something for that extra money?

• Like 1

^ Probably the latter: '...they just charge more and people assume that they must be getting something for that extra money....'

I'd thought 3BB plan options below 1000B in the 500-700B range were for within Thailand ( not sure how that's supposed to work on the WORLD-Wide Web ?) and that their 1000B(+) plans were for internet access outside Thailand via that undersea cable that often 'leaks'. whistling.gif

I have kept my initial 1156B plan of several years ago from expiring as I had noticed 7 months or so ago that 3BB's cheapest and then newest plans were well in excess of 2000B monthly.

But when all is said and done, I do like 3BB.

That's taking a lot on faith. Does 3BB actually say that for the higher price that they will give you a more consistent speed or prioritize your traffic, or do they just charge more and people assume that they must be getting something for that extra money?

I have not talked with any tech people at 3BB, and the people 3BB sales people obviously wouldn't know, but the sales people say something along the lines of what you are saying.

Obviously this is a rather limited niche, consisting of people or companies who prefer to pay more for 3Mb than others pay for 10Mb, provided their 3Mb of traffic are given special considerations. If I recall correctly, on the general Internet forum there was somebody who was using his 3Mb to handle 10 simultaneous voice-IP lines, and needed the more consistent bandwidth for that.

I doubt this is some vaporware feature 3BB is selling, as the people who opt for such a plan would probably on

average be quite a bit more technically competent than the average 10Mb cheapest-plan-I-can-get user. If it was not working at all, they'd probably notice, and some of these people would probably be Thaivisa users also.

I'm not in the group of people who need 3Mb consistently, and are more happy to get 5-10Mb most of the time, and if things slow down to 0.1Mb now and then, that sucks, but never getting more than 3Mb would suck more.

We have now the 13MB/1MB thing for 963B. I think it's overpriced. Perhaps going down to the 500B version. That's good enough, the bottlenecks sit in the international gateways and crazy filterproxies of the puppet master.