The price of used cars

Jessi

All I know is that I'm trying to sell my well maintained 7yr old Colorado with low kilometers and full options and the dealers won't give me but a little over half the blue book value. Have heard and can see that the tents are overstocked and the new car dealers have full storage lots....................but the idiots don't want to lower prices or offer many promotions.

Ready to buy a new Chev Spin, but the tent guys keep insulting me and I'm almost ready to stop trying and stop playing the game they make you play...............

Have Thai friends in the Motor trade, only this last week was at one tent, they had a 06 Z71 4 door Automatic, tip top condition, price 319,000 baht, also had a LT Ext cab 06, with canopy and rear Air Con, at 259,000 baht... so out of interest there mark up is around 50,000 baht, so maybe gives an idea what you should get for yours, depends on model...

Have found low kilometers make little or no difference to price.......... myself sell the pickup at 400,000 KM, the 08 D-Max SLX Spacecab[ABS and Airbag model], sold in 2011 with 434,xxx KM on clock, exchanged at Mazda dealer and received 65,000 baht more than the highest offer from any tent dealer... My old D-Max was For Sale for 6,000 baht less than another one same condition but 300,000 KM less on the clock.!! this is the 3rd time of changing pickups every time found the same... we will see with the Mazda as already has 240,000 KM on clock

Edit: as a PS look on here in Classified, there is one top model pickup 2012 with 15,000 KM for 200,000 baht less then new. and another 4 month old for 100,000 baht less...... maybe 2nd hand prices are dropping a lot ?

Edited by ignis

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have only been looking for a car the past few weeks ... So can't really comment on the 30% in the last six months. However I did find the price of a second hand car extremely expensive. I went to a Nissan dealer in Pattaya, I just wanted a small car, thought the Nissan March would be ideal. New price starts at 382,000 baht. This is for the basic model, and when they say basic .. Its basic, not even a radio !! The next model up had all the bits you expect on a car, price 444,000 baht. I spotted a second hand car and wandered over to have a look. It was in good condition, but had 72,000 kilometers on the clock. When I inquired I was told the car was 3 years old, the best bit, it was the basic model ... How much? 350,000 baht !!! 32,000 baht cheaper than a new one?

. Are you in BKK?

We sold our Nissan March to tent just about 6 months ago...

3 yrs old, top model--- new rims and just over 40k miles (just did 40k full check up at dealership before selling).

All check ups done on time at dealership

Only sold it because kids are getting bigger and needed a bigger car, so bought a pajero sport, so no need for a third car (only 2 drivers at the house) and sold the Nissan March

Sold it for around 300k (will double check) it's still at the dealer parking lot...

If interested , let me know and will tell you the dealership

Just double checked .... Sold it to tent for 330,000 in Apr

What is the tent trying to sell it for now? Prices on second hand cars have been and are dropping drastically. Tents know this, and know how hard it is to shift stock, so they are really only offering very little money when you go to sell to them. Personally I'd be looking at a newish bmw if I was shopping second hand. They seem to have dropped in price as well.

Put a deposit on a CX 5 last week so selling our 3 year old 1.8g Altis, immaculate condition 25k kilometres, best offer so far 400k, prices are definatley down here in Udon. sad.png

Best offer by who? Car tent/dealers?

Why don't you put an ad on classifieds thaivisa and craigslist?

Perhaps travel to Bangkok for a day or two, you can sell your car to car tent very easy in here and I think they can beat 400k offer easily.

Last year I sold my 2003 civic 1.7 vtec + lpg (in good condition) for 300k to a car tent, which I bought for 330k 2 years ago (I used it almost a year).

However I agree with reduced prices in second hand. I always look at new ads on classifieds and see several cars sold under the market price, or perhaps new market price!

Just double checked .... Sold it to tent for 330,000 in Apr

What is the tent trying to sell it for now? Prices on second hand cars have been and are dropping drastically. Tents know this, and know how hard it is to shift stock, so they are really only offering very little money when you go to sell to them. Personally I'd be looking at a newish bmw if I was shopping second hand. They seem to have dropped in price as well.

Have no idea what they are asking for it, but figured if the OP is looking for Nissan March and could walk into the tent knowing how much the tent paid for it, may help in his negotiating ...

All I know is that I'm trying to sell my well maintained 7yr old Colorado with low kilometers and full options and the dealers won't give me but a little over half the blue book value. Have heard and can see that the tents are overstocked and the new car dealers have full storage lots....................but the idiots don't want to lower prices or offer many promotions.

Ready to buy a new Chev Spin, but the tent guys keep insulting me and I'm almost ready to stop trying and stop playing the game they make you play...............

Notice the Trailblazer has a hugh drop in value... few ads 2013 LT dropped about 300,000 baht, the 4x4 LTZ has dropped 300 - 350,000 baht after just a few months..

Find it a bit odd the TR version 7 seat the Allroader is holding it value much better

OT a bit, can message me the deal you got for the cx-5? Am keen to get one too. Thanks in advance.

Put a deposit on a CX 5 last week so selling our 3 year old 1.8g Altis, immaculate condition 25k kilometres, best offer so far 400k, prices are definatley down here in Udon. :(
Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

^ No deal was made with purchase of CX 5, paid list price, no extra's they had no interest in doing any sort of deal, too much interest at this time, paid list price.

If I had wanted a Mazda 3 could have got a great deal! the salesman was trying his best to get me to buy one! even though I had gone in purposely to buy a CX 5. His determination was quite annoying, to be polite!

Edited by CGW

• 3 weeks later...

Japanese imports i seem to recall had an effect on the American Motor Industry. They all but wiped out MoCy sales in Europe too.coffee1.gif

Just have a look at the Aussie car manufacturing industry. After over 50 years of production both Ford & GM have announced all manufacturing will cease by 2017, or earlier if can be arranged. You only think imports have an effect.... me knows they do.

G'day all. biggrin.png

Some advice please. I know I'll get half wit replies but I'll filter through them. facepalm.gif

I'll arrive in LOS in mid March to retire. I've been visiting several times a year for about 10 years. Having spent a lot of time recently getting everything in order here for the relocation I haven't given much time to car purchase research.

I hope to buy, second hand, soon after arriving. Budget up to about 600,000 baht including tax & insurance & all other on road costs. I'm interested in any advice, info on used car purchase. Best places to look, forums & web sites.

I do have a good sense of humor, but guys, PLEASE not too much comedy in your replies.

Thanks in advance..... Mal. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

G'day all. biggrin.png

Some advice please. I know I'll get half wit replies but I'll filter through them. facepalm.gif

I'll arrive in LOS in mid March to retire. I've been visiting several times a year for about 10 years. Having spent a lot of time recently getting everything in order here for the relocation I haven't given much time to car purchase research.

I hope to buy, second hand, soon after arriving. Budget up to about 600,000 baht including tax & insurance & all other on road costs. I'm interested in any advice, info on used car purchase. Best places to look, forums & web sites.

I do have a good sense of humor, but guys, PLEASE not too much comedy in your replies.

For 600,000 baht you can buy Brand New, many different makes these days, you can buy something 20 + years old, or any year to present day.. more is what are you expecting to drive ? 1984-91 560 SEL Benz or a 2013 eco car both about same price !!

If you wish to feel as if your still driving in AUS then knock off a 0 and get something like this http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1321057

Edited by ignis

Two things have happened lately:

1: The government tax rebate last year has seen a lot more people buying cars, and a lot of used cars on the market as a result.

2: The government has announced that the price of LPG will eventually be going from 12 baht a litre to 26 baht a litre, so a lot of people are going to start offloading their old LPG-powered cars because they can't afford to run them any more.

LPG going up to 26B a lire, where did you hear about this gem?

Just another rumor started by the Government.

I wonder what the taxi drivers would say about it.

Japanese imports i seem to recall had an effect on the American Motor Industry. They all but wiped out MoCy sales in Europe too.coffee1.gif

Just have a look at the Aussie car manufacturing industry. After over 50 years of production both Ford & GM have announced all manufacturing will cease by 2017, or earlier if can be arranged. You only think imports have an effect.... me knows they do.

They have the effect of making cars cheaper for the consumer. Personally I'm not sure why so many Australians are so keen on paying double the going rate for cars just so we can say we build them in Adelaide.

• 2 months later...

Well I have only been looking for a car the past few weeks ... So can't really comment on the 30% in the last six months. However I did find the price of a second hand car extremely expensive. I went to a Nissan dealer in Pattaya, I just wanted a small car, thought the Nissan March would be ideal. New price starts at 382,000 baht. This is for the basic model, and when they say basic .. Its basic, not even a radio !! The next model up had all the bits you expect on a car, price 444,000 baht. I spotted a second hand car and wandered over to have a look. It was in good condition, but had 72,000 kilometers on the clock. When I inquired I was told the car was 3 years old, the best bit, it was the basic model ... How much? 350,000 baht !!! 32,000 baht cheaper than a new one?

Can't be true! that ridiculous.. w00t.gif

That post was over 5 months ago....... the S model 2010 are around 200 - 225,000 baht, the top VL model for same year about 280 - 300,000 baht

Current retail price from 2 different Thai friends in the car business

• Like 1

G'day all. biggrin.png

Hi Mal

As mentioned in another post, with that sort of budget I would look in the new car market. I recently bought a new Honda Brio Amaze. I'm really pleased with it. On the road cost was 482,000. They added a few extras and free insurance.

Good luck which ever road you take ... Oh, pardon the pun :-)

Its true, what do you think I made it up ?

• Like 1

I would never buy second hand in Thailand. When you can buy new from @420,000 why take the risk. Can you imagine the potential issues with a second hand car - existing finance, accident damage, clocked etc. I laugh when i see some of the prices quoted especially some with 100,000 kms on the clock.

• Like 1

I would never buy second hand in Thailand. When you can buy new from @420,000 why take the risk. Can you imagine the potential issues with a second hand car - existing finance, accident damage, clocked etc. I laugh when i see some of the prices quoted especially some with 100,000 kms on the clock.

number of things about that....... 100,000 KM = 62,000 miles, many makes in other parts are still covered by warranty........could say nicely run-in ?

only yesterday was looking at 2nd hand cars on UK websites, found Benz or Volvo estate 2004/5 often states 170 - 280,000 miles, [350-450,000 KM] for sure much cheaper, also same for Vauxhall and Ford Rep mo bile cars. ...[reason looking was it was said on a motoring Thread on this site, older Automatics give problems.. appears lots are For Sale as Spares or Repairs, giving gearbox need repair reason...] do wonder how many clutches would be used on a manual in 200,000 Miles ?

Not everyone wants or can even fit into a tiny 420,000 baht tin box.

Again it is down to what people want and what it is used for......... myself new pickup every 4 years or 400,000 KM = often a few months before the 4 years... car present one 2nd hand for me is fine in the over 10 years here, have never even put 6,000 KM per year on the private car..

On the other hand many are put off by Diesel Pongers, and Cart Suspension. I like those Suzuki Swift /Mitsu Tin Boxes and im 6Ft 3.biggrin.png

Same 6'3, and also like the Suzuki Swift, sadly here the 3 door is not an option........ why do you need 4 side doors on a 3 seater ? seat right back and/or rails moved back, simple no one could sit behind unless they have no legs, makes it so hard to get in...

how about the older mercedes benzes?

the W124 and W202?

I believe the quality of these cars are still good?

have seen some around 300k? worth buy or I should just get a new Almera or Vios?

Here many Thais own there cars for 10 years, so is possible to buy very good cars with just one owner...

Myself like the W124 looks wise better, but these are 20 + years old, for 300k the W202 is one of the 1st of this shape again around 20 years old..

My problem is just as good you can get a Audi A6 2002/3 1 owner car for that price. likewise a Volvo S60 or 2001/2 S80

But there again you can get a 2008 model look-a-like Honda Accord ? http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1371451

As always it is up to you + what do you need to use the car for? myself would not buy a W124 or W202, but there again would also not buy a Almera or Vios

how about the older mercedes benzes?

the W124 and W202?

I believe the quality of these cars are still good?

have seen some around 300k? worth buy or I should just get a new Almera or Vios?

Here many Thais own there cars for 10 years, so is possible to buy very good cars with just one owner...

Myself like the W124 looks wise better, but these are 20 + years old, for 300k the W202 is one of the 1st of this shape again around 20 years old..

My problem is just as good you can get a Audi A6 2002/3 1 owner car for that price. likewise a Volvo S60 or 2001/2 S80

But there again you can get a 2008 model look-a-like Honda Accord ? http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1371451

As always it is up to you + what do you need to use the car for? myself would not buy a W124 or W202, but there again would also not buy a Almera or Vios

the hyundai sonata is a good work horse.

however, i think maintenance of a korean car in thailand might be a tad bit difficult?

Am still digging the older mercedes though... hehe

however, i think maintenance of a korean car in thailand might be a tad bit difficult?

Yes but as said before have never even put 6,000 KM per year on the private car, so for me the car Maintenance is not high on a problem list... if you do a lot of KM or need a Service 3 or 4 times a year that is a different matter.. like my truck gets a Service 8 - 9 times a year

• 2 months later...

Is a good idea to own a Volvo car in Thailand? What about car service, parts, etc.. ? I have an particular interest in the models V40 and V70, but I am a bit afraid about service and parts prices in Thailand.
Since I have been observing the market and I found lots of volvo for sale in Thailand, and I asked myself and others, why so cheap such a good quality car?

Thanks for any insight! wai.gif