Rungson vows to review rice scheme loss

Lite Beer

Rungson vows to review rice scheme loss
SUPHANNEE POOTPISUT
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- The man set to become the new permanent secretary at the Finance Ministry says he will review the amount lost under the government's controversial rice-pledging scheme.

Rungson Sriworasat, acting permanent secretary of the Finance Ministry, said that he did not believe the loss would be as high as Bt200 billion a year, as concluded a ministry audit committee, headed by deputy permanent secretary Supa Piyajitti.

He said that he would also replace Supa as chair of the audit team. He denied Supa was removed, saying that she would still work with him. But that as the permanent secretary, he should be in charge of the audit committee.

"As someone with a background in accounting and a director of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives for eight years, I don't think the loss is that high," Rungson said.

"We will have to review the audit committee's report to see if a loss of Bt200 billion a year is correct," he said.

Rungson said that with a simple calculation, he believed the loss should be "only Bt36 billion" a year. He explained that under the scheme the government offered Bt15,000 for every tonne of rice, compared to the market price of Bt12,000, which meant a loss of Bt3,000 a ton. And the government had about 12 million tonnes of rice in its stockpiles and the loss would be about Bt36 billion.

The Cabinet earlier this month appointed Rungson as acting permanent secretary for finance, and he is expected to become the new permanent secretary.

On Monday, the Finance Ministry put the annual losses from the rice-pledging scheme |in the vicinity of Bt200 billion after wrapping up its audit. The audit report from Supa's committee was signed by former permanent secretary Areepong Bhoocha-oom, who was transferred to the post of secretary-general of the Public Sector Development Commission.

His transfer followed allegations that he was unable to control Finance Ministry officials who repeatedly expressed concerns over the scheme's impact on the national fiscal position.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-27

"he did not believe the loss would be as high as Bt200 billion a year, as concluded a ministry audit committee"

Sound's like he's already made up his mind...

Most certainly. He's was a cabinet appointment to an acting post which is about to become permanent.

There's no way the government would appoint someone who wasn't on board and no way will he risk losing a permanent post.

• Like 2

There are only 12 million tonnes currently in stockpiles. What about the rest that has been bought and sold, and storage costs, and loss due to damage, and plenty of other issues.

Just the fact that he has already come up with a dodgy number speaks of the whitewash coming.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I used GOOGLE and the current price per tonne of rice is 2500 baht. So there is a HUGE discrepency here and Yes I agree the whitewash has already begun.

12million x 9500 difference on world price is 114 000 000 000 (114 Billion baht) and the 12 million tonnes is probably what is left that is SALEABLE. Remember Thailand has NOT been able to move rice for nearly 2 years in quantities they previously sold. So he is using old figures. I guess he went to a Thai public school.

• Like 1

If I was Thaksin I would bring in a spin doctor to do a bit of creative arithmetic, to buy more time, to get the 2.2 trillion baht loan signed and sealed. Oops he did.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

There are only 12 million tonnes currently in stockpiles. What about the rest that has been bought and sold, and storage costs, and loss due to damage, and plenty of other issues.

Just the fact that he has already come up with a dodgy number speaks of the whitewash coming.

I used GOOGLE and the current price per tonne of rice is 2500 baht. So there is a HUGE discrepency here and Yes I agree the whitewash has already begun.

12million x 9500 difference on world price is 114 000 000 000 (114 Billion baht) and the 12 million tonnes is probably what is left that is SALEABLE. Remember Thailand has NOT been able to move rice for nearly 2 years in quantities they previously sold. So he is using old figures. I guess he went to a Thai public school.

This (http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=rice&months=60) is showing about $470 / THB 14000 - for white milled rice, not paddy. Where did you see 2500 baht?

Edited by whybother

That he forgets about any losses on the rice previously purchased, and 'disappeared' from the warehouses or resold again already, demonstrates his total lack-of-understanding & inability to do a senior job at the Finance Ministry. wink.png

Which makes him a perfect fit, with the rest of the PTP-led government-coalition, unfit-for-purpose. bah.gif

• Like 2

Nothing is lost until the rice is sold so unless he has buyers locked in for all the rice the government stockpile his numbers are meaningless. Plus the fact that his numbers don't include storage costs and spoilage... I get that it was a quick 'back of the envelope' type calculation intended to make a point but still...

• Like 1

"Rungson said that with a simple calculation, he believed the loss should be "only Bt36 billion" a year. He explained that under the scheme the government offered Bt15,000 for every tonne of rice, compared to the market price of Bt12,000, which meant a loss of Bt3,000 a ton. And the government had about 12 million tonnes of rice in its stockpiles and the loss would be about Bt36 billion"

What a totally numpty. Someone pleas explain that having the rice in stockpiles does not mean it can be written off as "sold' . Until you actually sell it, the rice is a loss making asset. Just storing it doesn't make it profitable. If you never sell it, you will never get money. What a totally arse!

I've seen better financial advice given by 'Trigger; in Only Fools and Horses'

of course how could we have been so silly as to miss that. So if they paid 15,000 baht per ton and they have 12,000,000 ton of rice, then they only spent 180,000,000,000 baht on rice and not the reported 700,000,000,000 baht that they did. Because if they did then that means a loss of 520,000,000,000 baht just on purchase, then there is the ongoing costs, management fees, interest on loans and the depreciation of assets ect ect

Edited by waza

I wonder if Moody's, the other credit rating agencies and the World Bank will believe these figures. Perhaps its an acceptable "white lie" to build confidence in the new man at the FM - "look he's only been there 5 minutes and he's made a big difference already".

Give him a few weeks and it will be turned into a profit making scheme after all. See, these silly farangs know nothing about economics and accounting. Just trust the government, they know exactly what they are doing wink.png

What's sad is the arrogance and contempt with which they treat the Thai people in spouting this bilge which they are expected to believe. Simply lie - don't worry about any facts, or figures, or back up information. PTP transparency at its best !

Khun Rungson has just demonstrated his keen skills and knowledge in accountancy to a level that's expected. The real loss will never be revealed until there is a change in government. Then it will be shock, horror, best keep it quiet mode. God (whoevers) help Thailand if these crooks get their hands on the 2.2. trillion.

From the first moment the rice system started i knew it is business full of fraud and corruption.
Follow the moneyflow out first,because i expect it don't goes only to farmers.
Count your stock and the selling and you know how much is missing. I agree it should be 36 billion Baht but i believe it will be more than 100 billion baht, caused by fraud and corruption.
Seize the property of the people who did fraud, because the victims are the farmers and the population (government)
Change the system and gives the farmers 3.000 baht per ton compensation and let them sell their own rice.
It is only an idea, but the fraud and corruption will be less.

Go for it government. There is much money to earn back!sad.png

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Please do not post using overly large font.

If this latest Thaksin mouthpiece is correct and the rice losses are only 36 billion per year, and nobody is doubting that 700 billion has been plowed into the scam, then by using basic arithmetic 600+ billion has been stolen or misappropriated. Big boss should have been happier with the original loss figures!

"he did not believe the loss would be as high as Bt200 billion a year, as concluded a ministry audit committee"

You got that right

Rungson Sriworasat, acting permanent secretary of the Finance Ministry, said that he did not believe the loss would be as high as Bt200 billion a year, as concluded a ministry audit committee, headed by deputy permanent secretary Supa Piyajitti.

He said that he would also replace Supa as chair of the audit team. He denied Supa was removed, saying that she would still work with him. But that as the permanent secretary, he should be in charge of the audit committee.coffee1.gif

There is an iron clad guarantee that it will not exceed 200,000,000 baht.sad.png

Kinda of like putting Thaksin in charge of looking into the crimes in the 2010 attempted coupcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The guy is talking utter nonsense. Paddy is bought at 15000, but that equates to (generously) 650 kg milled rice.

Even using his bs numbers that's a loss of 12000 per tonne of milled rice.

So with 12 million tonnes that 144 billion loss.

... and as the new head of the audit committee, I have no doubt that he will prove himself correct...!

Furthermore, she who released the figures has not been sacked ... really!!

• Like 1