Retire To Thailand, Any Advice Gratefully Received !

roytheboy

Hi Thailand. I 2 am thinking about Thailand as a retirement option, all the good advice taken onboard. I visit Bangkok 4/5 times a year (BA Cabin Crew) we stay at the Armani Watergate....anyone up for a beer/chat/night on the town, please post or drop me a mail Friday /sat 9/10 of June is my next trip Cheers KevinQuestions about retiring in Thailand? Although my timeline has yet to be realized, I will be heading to Phuket in January of '07 and staying for good. The Thai Forum has all of the information that you might need with regards to the technical and financial aspects of setting up your life in Thailand. But, the most important information will come from expats that have assimilated into the Thai lifestyle and have and understanding and appreciation for being a part of a society that is new to them. Respect and understanding go a long way in any foreign country, whether you are visiting or planning on retirement.

I have begun a computer based file with everything I might need prior to my actual departure to Thailand. The respondants have been fantastic. In fact, the good humor and accepting nature of the expats that I have come in contact with is very encouraging. And, the Thai locals that are on the forum offer exceptional insight into areas that most farangs had to learn on their own. All in all, a great means for beginning your search.

Now, for the words of warning. Although I only lived in Thailand for a year and change over 30 years ago, the "girls" seem to have been in every guy's equation when they talk about LOS. Sure, you are 59 and probably couldn't get a nice looking 30 year old beauty to even speak to you in the UK or USA...unless you are filthy rich. Well, things aren't much different in Thailand. The approach is varied, but most times the goals are the same. Don't be led to this wonderful place by your male organ. Believe me, there are many other wonderful things in Thailand to consider aside from the ladies. Be cautious and suspect in your dealings with "bar girls" especially. Even ladies that you might meet outside a night club setting could have an agenda that would not favor you financially. If you are 59 and a 23 year old "hottie" shows great interest or says she "loves" you, don't start reading your own press releases. The old addage, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is", would be well served in these instances.

Other than that...Get involved in the local Thai culture, language, food, and neighborhood events once you arrive. That should keep you out of the massage parlors and bars long enough to understand that you are in a wonderful place filled with life.

Scroll back to as many forum topics as you like and you will find everything you want to know about from a very helpful and committed group of expats.

Good luck....See you around.

Gary

Sorry about that...first post, and screwed up :o But do drop me a line, if you fancy a beer or six on the 9/10th June...also back in town14th June, would be good to get one of you Bangkok experts to show me the ropes

Cheers Kevin

• 2 months later...
Hi all, new here and recently visited Thailand (Pattaya) Liked the Country, food, and climate !

and getting more unhappy at the thought of retirement in UK ! my age now 59.

Would have the funds to purchase a property, but would need to invest money to provide a pension/ income.

Can anyone tel me can the money be invested outside of Thailand, and interest transfered over, I believe the interest rate is low in T/land'

If I was classed as retired what would be the tax rate ? can anyone advise of any pitfalls, or experiences ? Would it be better to rent or buy property, I have read into the rules of buying, is selling reasonbly straight forward ?

I have been told that for £120 per week I can live comfortable there ??? any thoughts ?

These are my first enquires ,and your comments would be most wellcome, thank's in advance Roy