eBay purchase - item is not received.

Shurup

After nearly 200 transactions on eBay (mostly purchase) it finally happens that I haven't received my item AND (!!!) the time to open a dispute is coming to an end.

I do not believe it's a seller's fault, he got nearly 120,000 transactions on eBay with 99.4% positive feedback, I believe the item got lost in transit but regardless, I haven't got it.

The quoted delivery time was given up to 28 business days, so today is the 28th business day since the purchase date, and i only have until Nov 1st to open the dispute

If there was a problem, please go to the Resolution Centre by 01/11/13.

What would you do? Contact a seller and hope he would re-send the item,

or

Go straight to the resolution center and deal with it through them?

Item isn't very expensive ($20 US) but it's still money and if I miss the Nov 1st deadline, I couldn't complain after that, based on the seller's good feedback, he would probably re-send without me complaining...

I hate these insane 28 days deliveries, they give little room to open the dispute...

What would you do?

Contact the seller.

Contact the shipper.

Contact your local Thai Post (mail) delivery person.

Contact the resolution center; you'll have an extra 12 hours given the time difference but still a few days, right?

IME, in the U.S. anyway, sellers usually just ship a second and even third unit, on smaller items like these.

• Like 2

Is there any penalties to the seller if the dispute is opened? That's what I want to avoid.

If no, then I'll contact the seller and notify him that I will also take it to the resolution center?

Shipping was free (means cheap) so no tracking number.

Interestingly I just had the exact same issue with an item from Hong Kong (free postage), first time I've ever had a no-show :(

Opened a dispute the day before the time expired, got a rapid response from the seller offering a refund, I actually said I'd wait a few more days (he actually has 28 days to respond) but he gave me a full refund immediately.

Apparently there is a new requirement in HK for all outgoing mail to be x-rayed and this is causing significant shipping delays :(

• Like 2

Interestingly I just had the exact same issue with an item from Hong Kong (free postage), first time I've ever had a no-show sad.png

Opened a dispute the day before the time expired, got a rapid response from the seller offering a refund, I actually said I'd wait a few more days (he actually has 28 days to respond) but he gave me a full refund immediately.

Apparently there is a new requirement in HK for all outgoing mail to be x-rayed and this is causing significant shipping delays sad.png

Well, the item I bought is coming from HK as well! That's interesting...

If they are just the delays, it means the item can still arrive, just very late? How long ago has it been Crossy?

Well, I went to open the dispute and it's sending me to a PayPal?

Because you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for coverage by PayPal Buyer Protection. See eligibility

This dispute will be opened on the PayPal website. Therefore for any inquiry related to this, please contact PayPal customer service.
Here's what to do next:
  • Click Continue to PayPal.
  • Click the Resolution Centre tab.
  • Click the Resolution Centre link.
  • Communicate with the seller on PayPal.
  • If the case can't be resolved, you can file a buyer protection claim on PayPal.

I thought you're supposed to resolve it through eBay 1st, no? Or is it something new? Never had to use it so I don't know.

I've had a couple of people contact me via ebay to say things haven't arrived. I don't know exactly how they've done it (I've never had to do that myself), but it wasn't a paypal dispute. That's a different kettle of fish altogether.

I just received an ebay message from them. One I gave a refund to, the other waited a few more days and the item arrived.

I Don't think it was a 'contact the seller' message, it was definitely some kind of open case, maybe 'dispute' is the wrong term?

I clicked the link on the 'my purchases' page where it was reminding me to open a dispute before whatever date followed by the 'contact seller' link that appeared. This reminder appeared after about 5 weeks from the auction end.

It certainly opened an Ebay case, I don't recall going in to Paypal itself but since the two are quite tightly integrated I may well have.

Of course all these links have now gone as the case is resolved, so I cannot confirm anything.

• Like 2

If your item has batteries, then that could be the problem. I am having trouble getting an item from Hong Kong at the moment due to it containing batteries. My sender has told me they are now going to send it via Sweden.

My item didn't, but an acquaintance had issues getting a laptop battery shipped via AliExpress, ended up coming via Swedish Post too.

He and I were both a bit suspicious, but it arrived just fine.

I had an Amazon order that didn't arrive once, and they sent me a replacement. I got the original two months late.

It could be sat in a post office gathering dust.

First thing contact the seller and make sure you have all the shipping details (are they trackable?).

If you don't get any satisfaction, open the dispute.

eBay is a business, not a social club.

No question open a eBay dispute then you are covered. Although this does not apply to you in your particular circumstances be warned that not everything you purchase is covered by the eBay money back guarantee despite it saying so on the listing. I have just found this out to my cost after sending my laptop base back to the UK for a motherboard repair on eBay. I was told in a email from them after I was conned out of 52 pound "eBay Money Back Guarantee doesn't cover intangible goods, services etc." sad.png

Yes I sent him the message today, I still have 3+ days to open the dispute, will wait for a reply a day and a half, then go from there.

As I asked earlier, has there been similar issues with batteries/battery containing device shipping out of China? If it's just a Hong-Kong. I'll ask for a refund and order the same thing from China then.

Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered a laptop lithium ion in Jan 13 from mainland China and NICAD batteries from Hong Kong in Aug 13...both orders arrived my Bangkok home in well under a month...in fact, I think the laptop battery arrived in less than 2 weeks. I've never had any batteries orders blocked/go MIA.

Large Lithium Ion batteries can be a problem, since they can used as a minor explosive. Technically they are all suppose to be sent by ground, smart sellers will declare them as nickel cadmium.

Seeing positive feedback does in no way indicate that that seller is trustworthy. When a transaction is disputed and you have given bad feedback. Ebay has a form the seller can send you to change your feedback, once a resolution has been settled.

I have been sent feedback change request 3 times.

• Like 1

I received this from HobbyKing in HK:

URGENT UPDATE

Our International Warehouse based in Hong Kong has been affected by changes in Hong Kong Customs policy. The new Customs Department policy is to inspect ALL parcels leaving Hong Kong (not just HobbyKing) and are refusing to accept shipments containing certain items. This has caused two major issues that I wish to address:

Issue One
All orders containing lithium-based batteries that were placed between the 23rd of September and 2nd of October have been refused by customs and are being returned to our shipping dock in Hong Kong. Some orders not containing these items could also have been affected. This has also caused further delays to orders containing these items due to the backlog.
To remedy this, we at HobbyKing are upgrading all returned shipped items to a premium courier provider that will deliver your parcels to you shortly.

Issue Two
Due to the above issue, our Customer Service channel has been overwhelmed. This means that unfortunately all customers will have difficulty contacting Customer Service and for this we sincerely apologise.
If you are trying to contact customer service, please know that we WILL get back to you as soon as possible. To improve efficiency and improve response time, we request that you create just ONE support ticket. Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I received this from HobbyKing in HK:

URGENT UPDATE

Our International Warehouse based in Hong Kong has been affected by changes in Hong Kong Customs policy. The new Customs Department policy is to inspect ALL parcels leaving Hong Kong (not just HobbyKing) and are refusing to accept shipments containing certain items. This has caused two major issues that I wish to address:

Issue One

All orders containing lithium-based batteries that were placed between the 23rd of September and 2nd of October have been refused by customs and are being returned to our shipping dock in Hong Kong. Some orders not containing these items could also have been affected. This has also caused further delays to orders containing these items due to the backlog.

To remedy this, we at HobbyKing are upgrading all returned shipped items to a premium courier provider that will deliver your parcels to you shortly.

Issue Two

Due to the above issue, our Customer Service channel has been overwhelmed. This means that unfortunately all customers will have difficulty contacting Customer Service and for this we sincerely apologise.

If you are trying to contact customer service, please know that we WILL get back to you as soon as possible. To improve efficiency and improve response time, we request that you create just ONE support ticket. Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Sounds a decent firm to deal with.

• Like 1

Sounds a decent firm to deal with.

Indeed smile.png

I have two further items that appear to be caught up in this new HK policy sad.png

Two more coming from the Mainland.

All were ordered on the same date, none contain batteries, we shall see what happens.

Is there any penalties to the seller if the dispute is opened? That's what I want to avoid.

If no, then I'll contact the seller and notify him that I will also take it to the resolution center?

Shipping was free (means cheap) so no tracking number.

As long as seller solves the missing item in disputes center within the given time no problems

Your feedback in disputes center and feedback on sellers eBay page can always be left as positive or negative with a decryption of sellers willingness to resolve the situation they run a business treat them like that

If payed by PayPal sellers can lose the paypal account as a seller if they don't solve the issue in given time

Only once had to do a dispute as the items sent some 500$ Worth where not originals but mass produced unlike the eBay description on sellers page I recived a 50% discount within days

Positive feedback sent but with a description of what is really being sold

Edited by WildChilli