Good/avoid area in Bangkok for a one week's holiday in hotel

Tchooptip

Hi every one,

I do live in Samui and just decided to spend a week in Bangkok (first timer) with my (Thai) wife, she does not know Bangkok either

I do not look for an advice for an hotel particularly, I will reserve with Agoda, there are plenty of criteria, stars, prices, hundred of revues by customers so not too difficult to make a choice, but one can also choose by area...I have not the smallest idea of Bangkok, so Maybe a few hints could help me, thanks in advance.

Great recommendation. Several years ago, we use to stay near MBK/Siam Paragon. As above, right on the BTS and lots of restaurants and malls...which have some really nice restaurants also.

I"d do a google search of "things to do in Bangkok" or something like that. Sooooo much to do. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/bangkok

On a sunny day go to the top of Bayoke Sky hotel, using the corner lift (Not the one to the main lobby).

Take a boat trip up/down the river.

Tru the MRT subway, especially the part at Rama 4 where the line overlap and u can watch all the way down.

Go to a temple......nah, just kidding.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

week in Bangkok might be a bit long unless ur really into shopping malls.

Staying on Sukumvit (between 4 and 22) is ur best bet as the sky train gives u access to the whoe city. You can find places from 500 baht to.....

The grand Dynasty on soi 6 is a great place

*go to the Oriental hotel pier an hop a regular boat that travels up river. at the end get off an hop another one, have lunch an come back

makes a nice cheap day out,

*Cross the water and travel up to Wat Po and have a massage from one of the blind Masseus

*Walk around china town

*MBK for shopping

*Pantip for ur computer needs

*need i mention Nana plaza on soi 4 and the show at Angel witch

Probably scraping the lower end of the tourist scale, but I love Chinatown early Sunday morning. Hundreds of locals spread a few of their cast-off and collected items in a genuine swap meet/ flea market that goes on for blocks and blocks, centered around Khlong Thom market. I try to get there before 8:00 AM, and be gone about 11:00 when it gets too crowded for me.

Saturday is okay, but not as many "independents" with interesting stuff.

Probably scraping the lower end of the tourist scale, but I love Chinatown early Sunday morning. Hundreds of locals spread a few of their cast-off and collected items in a genuine swap meet/ flea market that goes on for blocks and blocks, centered around Khlong Thom market. I try to get there before 8:00 AM, and be gone about 11:00 when it gets too crowded for me.

I think I read somewhere that the Chinatown here is the largest in the world. Interesting. I've never been. Even though having lived in Bangkok for several years!

I think I read somewhere that the Chinatown here is the largest in the world. Interesting. I've never been. Even though having lived in Bangkok for several years!

I always stay in or close to Chinatown when I'm in Bangkok. It's my favourite part of the city. Lots of great restaurants, lots of markets in and around. In the evening, Yaowarat becomes a bustling street market with loads of food stalls serving a huge variety of great food.

Hualamphong is close by for the MRT as is the river for the express boats.

• Like 1

I love Chinatown. Hard to believe that someone that's lived in Bangkok for years has never been. I'm shocked! :)

If you do go to Chinatown, don't miss the Golden Mountain Temple.

15 minute walk from the big market, and 20 baht for a walk up to the best 360 degree view of Bangkok.

Of the temples I've visited, it's the only one I visit repeatedly. Haven't done it myself, but the big gongs look like fun.

• Like 1

IMO, one of the best criteria for selecting a hotel in Bangkok is that it be near a BTS or MRT station. Here is some info and links. Pick out what may be useful for you.

If you have not already booked your transport from Suvarnabhumi Airport into the city, the Airport Rail Link (ARL) is a great way to get into the city. See http://bangkokairporttrain.com/index.html The ARL terminal is on the bottom floor of the airport. It will take you into the city and links up with the BTS (Elevated Rail) system at the Phraya Thai Station. You can get Express train straight to and from BTS Phraya Thai <---> Suvarnabhumi Airport or get the "city line" ticket that stops at various stations along the way. http://bangkokairporttrain.com/time-table-route.html

Traffic is horrible in Bangkok so using the rail systems and river system is best. Bangkok has:

BTS (Elevated Rail) system http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx You can pickup a paper route brochure at any of the stations. There are two lines, the Silom line and the Sukhumvit line. They link together at the Siam Station so you can transfer from one line to the other there.

MRT (Underground Subway) system http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/map.aspx?Menu=8&Lang=En This one can get you to Hua Lamphong Railway station. They have the Silom and Sukhkumvit stations that are close to BTS stations so you can link with the BTS.

The Chao Phraya River is used for transport also. They have a "tourist" boat http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/tourist/index.asp that basically just has a guy on it that speaks English and tells you something about various sights on the river. There are also a bunch of regular Thai commuter boats that the locals use every day for transport. You can take the BTS Silom line to Saphan Taksin station and, with a short walk; you are at the Sathorn Pier. http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/services/index.aspx#routemap

This http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm is a good site for info on the trains of the State Railway of Thailand.

Edited by Baloo22
  • Like 1

IMO, one of the best criteria for selecting a hotel in Bangkok is that it be near a BTS or MRT station. Here is some info and links. Pick out what may be useful for you.

If you have not already booked your transport from Suvarnabhumi Airport into the city, the Airport Rail Link (ARL) is a great way to get into the city. See http://bangkokairporttrain.com/index.html The ARL terminal is on the bottom floor of the airport. It will take you into the city and links up with the BTS (Elevated Rail) system at the Phraya Thai Station. You can get Express train straight to and from BTS Phraya Thai <---> Suvarnabhumi Airport or get the "city line" ticket that stops at various stations along the way. http://bangkokairporttrain.com/time-table-route.html

Traffic is horrible in Bangkok so using the rail systems and river system is best. Bangkok has:

BTS (Elevated Rail) system http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx You can pickup a paper route brochure at any of the stations. There are two lines, the Silom line and the Sukhumvit line. They link together at the Siam Station so you can transfer from one line to the other there.

MRT (Underground Subway) system http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/map.aspx?Menu=8&Lang=En This one can get you to Hua Lamphong Railway station. They have the Silom and Sukhkumvit stations that are close to BTS stations so you can link with the BTS.

The Chao Phraya River is used for transport also. They have a "tourist" boat http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/tourist/index.asp that basically just has a guy on it that speaks English and tells you something about various sights on the river. There are also a bunch of regular Thai commuter boats that the locals use every day for transport. You can take the BTS Silom line to Saphan Taksin station and, with a short walk; you are at the Sathorn Pier. http://www.chaophrayaexpressboat.com/en/services/index.aspx#routemap

This http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm is a good site for info on the trains of the State Railway of Thailand.

Most most thanks very useful answer smile.png I have not booked anything already excepted the plane of course, I found 2/3 hotels on Agoda, very near a station round 1500 Baht a night that looks very well.

Also thank you every one for your answers.

I love Chinatown. Hard to believe that someone that's lived in Bangkok for years has never been. I'm shocked! smile.png

I'm a Bangkok regular ... I've never been.

Maybe in the future ... no rush though.

week in Bangkok might be a bit long unless ur really into shopping malls.

Staying on Sukumvit (between 4 and 22) is ur best bet as the sky train gives u access to the whoe city. You can find places from 500 baht to.....

The grand Dynasty on soi 6 is a great place

*go to the Oriental hotel pier an hop a regular boat that travels up river. at the end get off an hop another one, have lunch an come back

makes a nice cheap day out,

*Cross the water and travel up to Wat Po and have a massage from one of the blind Masseus

*Walk around china town

*MBK for shopping

*Pantip for ur computer needs

*need i mention Nana plaza on soi 4 and the show at Angel witch

Dear phuketrichard ... the OP is taking his WIFE ... not his mate!

Grand Dynasty ... facepalm.gif

BTW ... I stay in lower Suk a lot.

For your "*need i mention Nana plaza on soi 4 and the show at Angel witch" ... see the opening line of my post.

• Like 1

Central Sukhumvit, around Soi 22.

Restaurants, shopping, hotels from 1000 B up.

BTS and MRT for transportation within and without of Sukhumvit.

Dusit Zoo and JJ Market are both a nice day trip.

Yesterday I booked an hotel 6 nights for 8500 Bahts (?)

189/1 Soi. 39, Sukhumvit Rd., Klongton-Nua, Wattana ?

...Not soi 22 soi 39, after reading revues from customers it appears to be quieter ?

But I can still walk 10 or 15 minutes more.

Thanks again every one, for sometimes little advice maybe... but great help for sure smile.png

That is why TV is invaluable wai.gif not only for gossiping LOL

• Like 1

I'm in BKK for the weekend. If you have time, stop by Thong Lor. Iron Faries is open again. Great music there. Mainly jazzy stuff. It's a fun area to see a different side of town. Exoctic cars, fun wine bars, many places with live music, some great restaurants. It isn't cheap, but a place worth visiting with your significant other.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Another good stop while you are in Bangkok is the Snake Farm and Museum of the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute of the Thai Red Cross. Part of the Institute specializes in the husbandry of venomous snakes, and the extraction, and research of snake venom. Also, the production of snake anti-venom for many species. The Snake Farm serves as an educational organization about snakes for the public, tourists, government and private organizations, schools and universities in order to understand snakes habits and to improve attitude on snakes.

They have a really well-made and well maintained museum with live snake displays and other educational exhibits on snakes. The displays have both Thai and English explanations. Very well done! There is an entrance on Rama 4 road not far from Lumphini Park. Google Map location for Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute - Snake Farm

Also, the Snake farm staff demonstrates venom extraction and snake handling for public on:

Monday – Friday (except extra holidays.)

11.00 AM Venom extraction.

2.30 PM Snake Handling and taking a picture with tame snake.

Weekends and extra holidays.

11.00 AM Snake Handling and taking a picture with tame snake.

If you want to see the Snake handling display, I would recommend grabbing a cola/ice tea/water, etc, and grab/claim the front seats at 2:00pm for a good rest break until the show starts. thumbsup.gif

post-152848-0-27524200-1383463103_thumb. post-152848-0-74352000-1383463148_thumb. post-152848-0-28991000-1383463264_thumb. post-152848-0-12097000-1383464011_thumb. post-152848-0-08931300-1383463177_thumb. post-152848-0-21425500-1383463202_thumb. post-152848-0-00116500-1383463229_thumb.

Another good stop while you are in Bangkok is the Snake Farm and Museum of the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute of the Thai Red Cross. Part of the Institute specializes in the husbandry of venomous snakes, and the extraction, and research of snake venom. Also, the production of snake anti-venom for many species. The Snake Farm serves as an educational organization about snakes for the public, tourists, government and private organizations, schools and universities in order to understand snakes habits and to improve attitude on snakes.

They have a really well-made and well maintained museum with live snake displays and other educational exhibits on snakes. The displays have both Thai and English explanations. Very well done! There is an entrance on Rama 4 road not far from Lumphini Park. Google Map location for Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute - Snake Farm

Also, the Snake farm staff demonstrates venom extraction and snake handling for public on:

Monday – Friday (except extra holidays.)

11.00 AM Venom extraction.

2.30 PM Snake Handling and taking a picture with tame snake.

Weekends and extra holidays.

11.00 AM Snake Handling and taking a picture with tame snake.

If you want to see the Snake handling display, I would recommend grabbing a cola/ice tea/water, etc, and grab/claim the front seats at 2:00pm for a good rest break until the show starts. thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gif1QSMI-SnakeFarm (129).JPG attachicon.gifQSMI-SnakeFarm (18).JPG attachicon.gifQSMI-SnakeFarm (99).JPG attachicon.gifQSMI-SnakeFarm (26).JPG attachicon.gifQSMI-SnakeFarm (57).JPG attachicon.gifQSMI-SnakeFarm (71).JPG attachicon.gifQSMI-SnakeFarm (89).JPG

My dear Baloo22 thank you for everything clap2.gif and allow me to remind you I am only there for 6 nights smile.png

• Like 1

Soryy for hijacking. I am going to BKK close to Asoke to get new passports for two children. have stopped drinking due to health problems and will not leave the room except from ebassy visits. We will be going (their mother - my ex wife - the children and me) between Dec12 and 22.

Does anyone know a child friendly hotel with swimming pool, decent breakfast, skytrain/metro etc.

Also, many years ago in Bangkok Post they used to have 2days-3nights packages with different pricing for Thais and farang. Is it wise to let my ex wife book?

Thanks.

Hi

Very useful thread.

As a result of which have just booked a hotel on Suk soi 20 for a 2 night stay( coming up from naklua/pattaya) tomorrow

Just for a break but hopefully visit China Town, Golden Mountain Buddha and take a river boat trip then a few beers in the evenings.

It`s been at least 8 years since I stayed in Bangkok.

Any suggestions for laid back bars, maybe with some live music near to where I am staying most welcome.

Thanks, some excellent posts .

smile.png

Hi

Out of courtesy to those who answered the OP, which helped me just a quick report on my 2 day trip :

I visited Chinatown, enjoyed that, colourful and lively, and yes big for sure, had a nice duck based dish to eat whilst there

Golden Mount was interesting and nice view from the top, think spent about a couple of hours there.

Used the BTS, MRT and river boat, all first time for me.

1 hour cruise on river was nice, with the company that Baloo22 had provided a link to.

BTS station was about 3 or 4 minutes from where I was staying and that proved useful.

smile.png